What on Earth is going on on SFN?

Not sure why Guillaume? Sure merde happens but it does not to sour everything for the majority. I am also not sure whether the Modern Tyranny bit you have thrown in from youtube is real or not your real view of things, whatever it contributes nothing to people living in France, wishing to or having a connection. I have a row of folklore and fairytale books on my shelves and in my view stuff like this belongs in there. No theory has substance unless hard evidence can be found to support it. Take it from me as a social scientist who has lived from meaningful research for about 40 years. So, reciprocally: what is your point?

Don't quite understand the point of this post? It's a social network centered around the French, not a Girl Scout convention. Merde Happens. Get over it... And now a little Conspiracy Theory :-D

http://youtu.be/wJjmyuaVOrM

Modern Tyranny is quite something of a theory where it's view plainly states.
Private families own the Fed, names like Rothschild, Morgan, Rockefeller and Chase.
They print money for profit and own the western worlds System of Central Banks.
They fund the all theses wars and run the all drugs, it's to them we must give thanks.

Is it the Military Industrial Complex or the New World Order that we all should fear?
Should we all buy gold and store lots of food, to protect all those we hold dear?
Well, the Apocalypse is a theme that goes way back since biblical times.
Original Sin is today's Carbon Footprint, just a filth of a different kind.
The Earth isn't getting warmer, scarcity, the War on Terror, it's all just one big lie.
But whats for sure is the stinky old men, that print our money, want America to die!

Anything I don't like I ignore or will put my point of view. Mr and Mrs Higgs Bosun can remove whatever comments they don't like, SFN is their toy after all. I can often get the wrong end of the stick because most people don't write very well (except for Jeanette and Brian who use long words that I don't understand) and without the subconcious body language to reinforce a word or expression, meanings can often be misinterpreted. James and Catharine have worked very hard on SFN and I hope they make squillions out of it (and remember who their friends are).

Jeanette, Bryan has now left SFN

I suggest you keep a low profile.

jeannette - I was away with the fairies some last night (not semantically but at least rhetorically). perhaps you are right but what I wrote was still jabberwock!

Celeste - sorry, can't speak for the others. What they nowadays call bipolarity and all that. Mornings I am OK, by the time I have trudged through a day I try to type as fast as my mind is spinning. Looking back over I blush. I have done my bit of 'meditation' today (have never used medication, do not like pharmaceuticals) and will behave for a while. A couple of weeks and I'll be descending again.

I think going off track into semantics in gibberish was far too easy. Either Bryan shares my affliction or has another, but we should be grown up enough to know better. Fair criticism. For all of that I think Bryan says some interesting things about society. They may be true. I do not like generalisations but chat rooms do seem to attract a larger than one might expect 'fringe'. C&J appear to be coping with that very well. There are, however, people who catch sensitivities in some people that others shake off like the proverbial water from a duck's back. I do not think that I am particularly sensitive. My sensitivity tends to be for others. Seeing people put off by those who do not respect the consensual view and amicable ways of arguing and debating deprive us of those who simply withdraw without comment. Selfishness imposed on others does that and it is my feeling that some of the conspiracy theorists, et al are far more selfish than manic depressives. If I am wrong then tell me, I said it is a 'feeling' and that is all.

When those exchanges become insulting a bit of name calling is also fine but when that goes into vulgarities such as common swear words presented as Spoonerisms or their like, then it has to stop before retaliation leads into escalation and both topic and contributors are lost.

So please forgive me my speedy semantics (or can we invent 'dementics'?) but the battiness does pass on soon (until next time, unfortunately) and then I may just be boring instead!

Hahahaha, now you see why I have nearly a whole year to finish a book that is more or less entirely written, I need to edit and re-edit myself before their editors get in. It is one of the biggest problems of manic depression that when we have the 'high bits' (especially people like myself who do not take medication) that the cells up top go haywire. Touch typing and brain doing that when trying to keep up with the confounded chain of thoughts is a pain. So the publisher has chapters as clear as crystal water and others like raging torrents of ideas where only the spume can be seen. At least it is not as bad as it was in my late 20s. In three or four weeks I'll be back down to the mother planet and probably as normal and boring as I should be for maybe 18 months. So sorry, then I shall work steadily through the impenetrable mire and edit myself into coherence. I hope. If not and time gets tight then I may well come running and saying "Please Catharine...". Plus the fact that having guessed your discipline I would probably trust you more with four of the chapters than anybody else...

Jeez Brian - should you ever need an editor I am available at very reasonable rates :)

Celeste, it is naturally a societal issue and so, so right on all the shades of grey missing. I believe that if we consider the table (or tabula = sheet or board in Latin) we are taken to the tabula rasa and starting with that 'empty sheet' all depends on how it is filled. No facial expressions or body language, to cite you, wowee we would be in a major quandary in social anthropology because we include them as part of language and expression which are before belief and culture the foundations of human societies and, indeed, provide them with the differences that make difference. Hohum getting serious and off the track a bit. But yes, those things matter. It is when a view is imposed such as trying to accept a conspiracy theory as the absolute truth and then becoming somewhat 'threatening' in the reaction to responses that do not accept that theory that gells. Likewise, of course, because of social mores when actual insults and threats are made. A bit of common swearing and implying people are a tad batty is not worth getting hot and bothered about really, well not in this day and age. We are all grown up - I hope. It is, as in society of every kind, that where abuse of privilege enters to the disadvantage of others (those who feel insulted, offended or otherwise affected) arises I see an injustice and recat myself - for right or wrong. Taking things verbatum is often a front to hide the real person's lack of confidence to interpret otherwise unless it is so blatantly obvious that words say what the writer means, then it is to take seriously. But then, as you say, to presume is to play God which is itself a doubl edged sword for those of us who have no deity we praise or follow. I am hardly an unblemished innocent in all of this having retorted with mild insult intentionally, but then I think the person is nuts anyway and he probably thinks I am too and is not entirely wrong, so tit-for-tat and no real harm done. Those who deliberately berate for the sake of it have problems, that is a problem in itself and has been the death of too many sites. This one is good and should be allowed to retain that goodness, thus my starting point is taken up again for which what I originally wrote should simply be reread.

Ok Jeanette - lets all move on and be more careful of each other's feelings in the future. Yes?

Brian - hot bits are totally allowed, the blogosphere would be very boring without them. However, you should have at least one positive thing to say in your posts. Otherwise it just turns into insulting someone. That’s what I get from the Bambi quote - what you say doesn’t have to be completely nice, but there should be at least something nice in there :slight_smile:

Catharine - I will try to post more often, but I am wary of it having been burned in the past…

"madia" - a knitted mafia. OUD definition- Created by slightly batty craft loving Sicilians.

Obviously meant “mafia”, not “madia”, whatever one of those would be… :slight_smile:

@ Jeanette - LOL - but you never know!

@ Katrina - well start posting and make it your own!

xx to you both

"Laughter is the best medicine" or whatever the quote is.

Yours,

Batty & Slightly Demented

Catherine - that is exactly the problem with social sites, “one never knows”. Sometimes, it is near impossible to glean the tone in which something is said. This is why people need to pay even more attention to vocab and sentence structure, but this is not always evident. I hope that the post (as with most here) was said light-heartedly, even better if it was. As has already been said, I have seen very little abusive behavior on this site compared to others. This site is very muchz a breath of fresh air compared to some who seem to have their own madia of regular posters who go out of rheir way to make it known you’re unwelcome. But I, too, am more of a lurker than a poster so don’t really have any personal experience to go on.

@ Jeanette - "Catharine, I do not expect you to attempt any kind of measured and equal justice on behalf of all posters"

We do aspire to this and as I have said earlier, do not always get it 100% right. I think you are being disengenous as you are now pointing fingers and referring to "Bryan Ansells post as unwarranted abuse, and his use of foul language an extension of that." I've deleted your post so there can be no 'compare and contrast' - those that know me will be aware that this is something that I did not do lightly and as said previously, it was deleted due to the antagonistic tone - and again, to reiterate, I am sorry but I do not consider bollocks / or bolloxs / or balls as "foul" language. Especially when not directed at someone. But instead at a concept /idea / philosophy. Feel free to disagree though. We are all about the polite debate on SFN. :)

lol Jeanette!

Sorry Katrina but I have to say I took Christa's post in the light hearted way it was (probably) intended. One never knows...*Cue dark music*

I agree no one needs to be name calling but calling someone batty is hardly a big deal. Most of us are, at the end of the day "batty"

BUT I totally agree "people are entitled to their own opinions without having to fear any backlash" and we will be making sure that happens.

An-----dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew! (As my mother might have screeched it.) Are you being rude? haha. Actually, it pleasing to see a lot of sense emerging and as for even mentioning selling kids now I am compromised, because I often say the same! My wife whose most recent work has been in trafficking of women and children glares at me. I wonder why? Like the Bambi quote from Katrina but with some allowance for discussion to have some hot bits please. Bryan, there we need another group perhaps and I would be delighted to join Mark and yourself as obvious contenders, and I think there are others, to enter a discourse this post has introduced where philosophy is as pertinent as just plain good manners, or etiquette as we may say...