What printer do you have?

My MFC7840W cost something like 220 euros, or thereabouts. I was replacing a scanner and a printer that required it's host PC to be running to act as a print server. At the time I thought it was expensive, but I haven't regretted it for a moment. So I'd click the button.

The Brother MFC 7860DW looks good to me, I think I will hit the button unless anyone says otherwise?

Brother is great. If anything breaks they come and bring you a new one. MFC J6910DW.

The Brother printers keep popping up, they are obviously well liked and quite appealing to me.

That will be useful, thanks for the information.

My Brother machine supports Linux and Macs although I have never tried the drivers.

We have had a Brother MFC-6490CW all in one jobby for about 3 years now and it is excellent at everything. Even A3 glossy photos come out nice.

The cheap ink on fleabay can be a bit hit and miss if you are fussy about colours BUT they are really really cheap so who's complaining.

Windows, Mac, Linux and Mobile friendly as well.

Brother MFC-6490CW Web page

I don't run Windows.

Yes. I bought a Brother multifunction about three years ago and its been great. Wireless, so accessible from any device connected to the lan, and it can be situated anywhere and doesn't need any particular PC to be up for it to work.

It prints, scans, copies, and would fax too if we connected it to the phone line.

Its an MFC7840W, I think. I'd buy another tomorrow if this one broke.

How many of those having replied here are running the OSes that James has indicated, i.e. not Windows ?

Been using HP entry-level B&W laserjets for yonks. First the HP 1010 and and the subsequent HP 1102. Under £80 uk Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-P1102-LaserJet-Laser-Printer/dp/B003ANFRU2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404072467&sr=8-2&keywords=HP+Laserjet+printers. This isn't a comparative assessment - just a favourable user experience. HP are pigs when it comes to keeping drivers updated when operating systems are superseded (like XP to W7) - could be that I keep printers longer than most as they are lightly used. I think the HP has the cynical strategy of driving you bats trying to get a perfectly good older printer to work on a later operating system by not providing new drivers and getting you to dump the printer for a new one. That aside, this model has served me well.

CloudPrint is an extension for Chrome that allows you to have Chrome running on your computer connected to the internet and then using the CloudPrint app for Android on your phone/tablet, be able to print to the printer configured for the machine running Chrome with the CloudPrint extension. On Ubuntu, there is even the possibility to turn the PC itself into a CloudPrint server without having to launch Chrome first. You still have to define the available printers in your Chrome configuration setup though, and of course be able to print from your PC in the first place (via CUPS on Linux and OSX). Having tried it from my mobile phone in the house to the printer in my office which are on two separate LANs and connected to the internet via two separate routers and different public WAN addresses, I know that it works, seemingly even if you have NAT/masquerading running on your router.

After going over and over the different options, we plumped for Brother DCP 7070DW.

When you replace the cartridge, you are actually only changing the ink and not the whole system, which makes it cheaper, as well as more sustainable. It's wifi, laser, prints both sides, copies and scans.

The other options we considered either weren't wifi (annoying with 3 of us in different places in the flat wanting to print), didn't print both sides or were very expensive cartridge-wise.

We decided against the colour option as we don't really need it (we also have a good copy shop a stone's throw away) and it's either complicated when the black ink and the colour are separate, or horribly expensive when the cartridges have the all in one system.

Hope this helps!

No, sounds like I probably should though!

I need A3 size and like others below am very satisfied with Brother. I have a MFC 6490CW and also like others run it using non Brother cartridges. I use a cable connection but it can be wireless. The only thing you have to watch out for is telling your computer and it which of many options are required each time you order prints. You can scan and fax too but it's not connected all the time as fax is so rare however useful it may be from time to time. They were quite pricey (current version £271 on Amazon) but there are cheaper but slightly less capable versions. Great for posters for Vide Greniers, Association Events, Drawings etc. I bought it in the UK during a visit and brought it out. Had it about three or more years now- never any breakdown I couldn't fix).

I have an Epson P50 which some might say is expensive but I like it and it has always proved very reliable. For my replacement ink cartridges I use www.theinksquid.com who I have always found to be very reliable regarding delivery and they most certainly undercut the big names for price.

Nice one. There is a place that refills near Bergerac, so my two thus far have been there. I have a real McCoy as well, just in case the printer goes wrong inside the warranty period, to pop in if needed. Refilling costs me €20 whereas the new cartridge was €48.20-ish.

Only €89 & free delivery on Ebay.fr

As I suggested a while back, buy refills from http://www.tonertopup.co.uk/

Whilst I was in the UK recently, I bought the Samsung SL-M2070W for my son. It's an all-in-one monochrome laser printer/ scanner /copier with really excellent wireless networking capability. My daughter-in-law also wanted to be be able to print from her iPad & it provides out-of-the-box AirPrint capability, which worked really well. It was on special offer at Argos for £99.99 & was an extremely good buy. It's important, however, to get the model with the W suffix, as there is a plain version about £20 cheaper that doesn't support any wireless networking.

If you have Ubuntu, you might find you have no support at all for the new, cheapo Brother printers. Check out :

http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list

to find out whether that tempting, new, shiny Brother printer is supported, or if it is just a paperweight ;-)

Also, the Ubuntu support forum

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590793

seems to be a bit of a faff, but then that is often the case with anything but HP on Linux

On OSX, Brother support can be found here :

http://www.brother.com/E-ftp/mac/

Do you use CloudPrint on Android ?

I have always liked HP printers (not necessarily the rest of the HP range) but my cheapish HP printer costs more to refill the cartridges than the printer did - worth doing some research on consumable costs - and if buying cartridges on line, check the freight costs before you click on OK - signed bloke who learnt the hard way