What shall I do with this?

Ideas please, I love these and I have lots of them.

I've done an Omelette, I've done Risotto, I've done mushrooms on toast and mushroom pasta and I've made a mushroom pâté.![](upload://tLeYIa0HbqZsklpKH921Q9t0B0H.jpg)

Hello,

I haven't tried this..but it sounds interesting...

This one involves salting and pressing the mushrooms...but once they are bottled they last a lot longer.

Polish Salted Mushrooms

I think it is pretty much impossible to buy Lactarius deliciosus, but the Russians and Poles also use porcini, honey mushrooms, chanterelles, russulas and, yes, regular button mushrooms. Not sure why, but most sources say to pickle only one variety of mushroom per batch.

I pickle my mushrooms in a one gallon stoneware pot, but you could use any non-reactive container. Store them in brine in a big jar or several smaller ones, in the fridge for several months.

Makes 2 pints.

Prep Time: 15 minutes, not including fermenting time.

Cook Time: 5 minutes

• 3 to 4 pounds fresh mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
  • Kosher or pickling salt
  • 6 to 10 juniper berries, crushed (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill, or 2 tablespoons fresh
  • 1 teaspoon caraway seed
  • 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, smashed

1. Boil the mushrooms in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain and let them cool in one layer on a paper towel or tea towel.
  2. Mix all the herbs and spices in a small bowl. Lay down a thin layer of pickling or kosher salt at the bottom of a crock or other non-reactive container, then lay down a layer of mushrooms. Sprinkle with some of the herbs and spices. Add a bit more salt. Keep layering like this until you have all the mushrooms in the crock. Finish with another layer of salt.
  3. Place a clean plate or other top on the mushrooms and weigh it down. I use a quart Mason jar filled with water. Let this sit in a cool, dark place (no need to refrigerate) for 4 days. After the first day, check to see that the mushrooms are submerged in their own brine. If not, boil 1 pint of water with 2 tablespoons kosher salt and let it cool. Pour over the mushrooms and continue fermenting.
  4. After 4 days, move the mushrooms and brine and spices to clean Mason jars and refrigerate. They will keep for several months.

Whilst a student I was introduced to Pickled mushrooms with ginger & spices....very delicious and at tescos in the Uk, they started importing Polish ones in jars that were very inexpensive and delicious...and low calorie...great in salads, with meat or fish.....

Here's a couple of recipes that I've tried....

http://www.marymakesgood.com/2015/02/spicy-ginger-soy-marinated-mushrooms.html

http://blog.mushrooms.ca/2015/04/guest-post-ginger-wasabi-pickled.html

Quick Pickled Mushrooms

1 1/2 pounds mushrooms
2 to 3 sprigs thyme, or herb of choice
1 small spring onion or small shallot, thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons whole allspice
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
3/4 cups water

Special equipment
1 quart Mason jar

Wash mushrooms by quickly running them under cold water and wiping away any excess dirt with a damp cloth. Slice smaller mushrooms in half and large ones in quarters.

Place herb sprigs directly in the clean mason jar.

Add remaining ingredients to medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for fifteen minutes.

Pour the hot mushrooms and liquid into jar and let cool. When mushrooms are cooled, cap the jar and place in the fridge. Mushrooms will be ready to eat in three days.

These Quick Pickled 'Shrooms will last in the fridge for up to one month. If you're planning to bring them to a picnic be careful. Because once you start tasting them, they quickly disappear, like magic!

We have a food drier (don't know its proper name but that's what it does!). Basically a set of trays which stack over a low-powered heating element. Does a brilliant job on mushrooms, apples, grapes,you name it. One year we dried our own home-grown chillies. Still have some in an airtight jar. Grind them in the coffee grinder.

Mushrooms with onions and garlic in a cream cheese sauce....mmmmmmmmm

I confess I didn't pick it - a lady who brings me eggs from her chickens, her father finds them. Family secret I think!

good idea - will freeze them

to dry them - do you put them in the oven or just leave them on a tray to dry?

ha ha yes - unfortunately none of the girls seem to like them but I love them! same with asparagus - I tend to over-indulge in the season - someone said that you have to try something 20 something times to see if you like it - well it worked with olives and tomatoes - I never used to eat them and now I love them, so I keep on trying with the girls - I've blitzed it and added it to quiche which they ate no problem. I tried roasting the top with garlic cheese but the texture goes too mushy and they wouldn't eat it. I confess I don't practice what I preach though when it comes to Oysters - I just can't tolerate them.

I used to be!!!

Wow! that's a whopper!

Umm I was going to suggest a soup but I see it has already been mentioned.

I love mushrooms - but am the only one in the family who does. Can I come over and share ? :)

We pick oodles of wild mushrooms when we get the chance. Various sorts.
Lots of possibilities:

• slice thinly, then dry for use in soups & stews over the winter
  • chop small, freeze and use from frozen for omelettes, risotto etc
  • use where you would use mince - eg lasagne
  • fritters

You in the Brownies?

if you eat meat too - chicken fricassee? beef stroganoff

x t

ha ha I'd best not tell the girls that - they won't let me eat mushrooms again. They're already moaning as they don't like the smell of them cooking!

Do you know how many pixies you have made homeless? I have a recipe for a veggie 'meatloaf' with mushrooms. Very tasty. :)

1 Like

Soup to freeze.

ooh re-reading this topic reminds me it’s almost mushroom time again - keep your favourite mushroom recipes coming.

1 Like

You could slice it up a dry it in the oven, store in a Kilner jar for later re-hydration/use?

1 Like