What the French think of Johnson

This was published today in RTL FRANCE. It of course is in French but Google translate can be your friend if needed.
The title is Goodby Mr Johnson we will not miss you.

Maybe soon there’ll be a song composed
‘Non, Boris, je ne regrette rien’ in the style of Edith Piaf
!

3 Likes

My French neighbours are following the shenanigans in UK with a mixture of interest, bewilderment and disbelief

They know better than to hope to get a reasoned conversation out of me on anything to do with Boris and/or UK politics

My response to more or less any questions/remarks these days 

“ce n’est pas ma faute!” 
 ('nuff said)
to which they heartily agree and huge hugs are exchanged

4 Likes

The problem is that we regret lots of his stupid antics.

1 Like

I listened to her podcast
is this different?

Maybe the parable of the beam and the speck of dust is not wholly appropriate but most of you ex-pats/immigrants/settlers seem to move in a tiny bourgeois rural enclave. Did you not notice the leader of the CGT who, in effect, said: “Abondance, M.Macron, quelle abondance? Imagine if Johnson had said that the years of abundance are over! M.Melenchon has just called for a March on Paris. It wasn’t that long ago that the country was paralysed by the gilets jaunes. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not underestimating the problems over here, or the bunch of misfits that pass for a government, but this is a global problem, not a UK one.

1 Like

Or possibly, an extensive rural farming community, of which we are a part.

1 Like

Feeling a little sensitive, plod ?

2 Likes

Interesting that they place Johnson among the ‘clown’ proto-fascists (Trump, Berlusconi, Bolsonaro) rather than the more serious variety like Orbán, Erdoğan, etc.

3 Likes

I think you’ve missed the point, haven’t you?
No, not sensitive just fed up with the schadenfreude from over there.

1 Like

I’ll grant you that some expat/whatzits do seem to stick very much to their little groups although “bourgeois???” not necessarily so

However, it is by no means “most”

1 Like

may be find something that’s new
 M. J-L M is forever banging on about E.M - he was doing it before the wax on the Great Seal of France set :wink:
Yes, he and his constant complainings are that old :grin:
But, don’t forget, JLM is FRENCH and at least has some entitlement to express his view - in France :roll_eyes:

The fact that Melanchon, the Trade Unions, the Gilets Jaunes, etc, do have a voice, and are listened to in France, are surely among the things that make it a fundamentally healthier society than the UK?

There, the government is passing legislation to make protest virtually illegal (and the police have in any case tried to suppress even perfectly legal protest! - see Met criticised over Clapham vigil policing).

6 Likes

I don’t think ‘the French’ are particularly interested in the UK. Everyone knows how Melenchon operates. They understand how the gilets jaunes came about. I guess everyone has worries about the future. But they know it is not all down to Macron. There is a balanced parliament, there is a written constitution. There are checks and balances that the UK hasn’t got or which have been undermined. People in France are far more educated about how the country works and is governed than those in the UK. For me, the differences highlight what is wrong in the UK and what makes me glad to be here and not there.

13 Likes

Also, the extreme right party in the French parliament won less than one sixth of the seats - in the UK they’re in the majority!

4 Likes

I agree that very few French people are interested in British politics.
But a French friend did say to me a while back that this man (Boris) did nothing to give the UK a good image. And she wasn’t talking about his politics or administrative antics, just his goofyness, ugliness and his arrogance. I could probably add more adjectives, but I don’t think I need to !

3 Likes

I’m not sure we can truly say that

Do we know how many French are living in UK???
Presumably they are interested in UK politics
 and I expect their families in France are also interested

Frankly, none of my neighbours have family in UK
 even so, they seem to watch the International News and do want to chew things over

Much the same as Brits in UK will discuss and chew over Macron, Biden, Trump et al

1 Like

But Clowns can be just as dangerous as megalomaniacs

A very good point Stella.

Statista says
 Between 2019 and June 2021 the number of French citizens living in the UK has decreased, from approximately 191 thousand in 2019 to approximately 149 thousand by June 2021.