What the French think of Johnson

That’s because the UK (and the US) is an economy in which debt creates money supply.

Read: https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Money-for-nothing-and-my-Tweets-for-free.pdf

1 Like

That’s true, but the UK is a huge outlier in that regard. I have friends who are professional musicians in France, and professional actors in UK: France looked after artists much better than the UK. I have friends running businesses in both countries; again, for small businesses, French support appears to have been useful and realistic (eg ‘just tell us if you have difficulty paying your cotisations’). And Macron put a real cap on energy prices. France has its issues but not to the same extent.

4 Likes

Although all banking debt does this (public as well as private).
France has more of its economy in the public sector generally - also a sign of a healthier economy.

I’ve often met people like you who seem totally confident that their view of the world is the right one. Is what you say true or just an opinion? You are clearly well-read and erudite but very opinionated?

2 Likes

Plod - is this post about me or some substantive issue?

If you want to talk on a personal level, for example about my life and opinions, do message me - but a public forum is not the place to talk about anything personal, unless somebody is specifically asking for help or advice.

If you don’t agree with my points about debt or public ownership - which are not opinions, by the way, but rational conclusions drawn from looking at the evidence - why not just say so, and introduce your own views, rather than taking a ‘shoot the messenger’ approach ?

4 Likes

You express your opinions all the time on this public forum.

but what makes the commentary from @Geof_Cox different to yours is that he at least supports his arguments with sources of reference. I have yet to see any such evidential support from your missives.

2 Likes

I haven’t really got or expressed much in the way of opinion save for my well worn view on rose coloured spectacles. In contrast, Geof is constantly espousing his views on the superiority of France over the UK, backed up by evidence, but not, perhaps, disinterested evidence. Euro zone now heading for recession apparently. No countries will survive Putin’s economic war unscathed.

including Russia itself
We’re all in it together but… some are starting off from a better place of course :wink:
@Geof_Cox will answer for himself of course on your claim about superiority but he does back his views up with supportive evidence.

1 Like

I suppose I will have to accept that he has views which he supports with evidence. Way of the world.

1 Like

It’s the ‘way of the world’ of grown-up debate.

3 Likes

odd comment… it is what it is. Backing up your contentions is the proper way to go and if someone disagrees with your interpretation of the reference used in support of it, then that is a good starting point, isn’t it but just blindly claiming something without justifying it is just wrong.

1 Like

It was a tired remark. How do I end the conversation?
Hands up.

Coming from an ex Copper.
That remark made me laugh in a sad way… ‘Sorry yer Honor, ee’s got evidence’.:joy:

2 Likes

Absolutely no need to laugh in a sad way! I’m very equivocal about such things.

Ok Gov, I get it, using ambiguous or evasive language, the Beak wil luv that! He’ll be rolling
about with laughter! :joy:
Back to the Court room…,
The summing up…
The defence has presented their case with elocution and historical evidence.
The prosecution can only come up with being equivocal, but had nothing to do with the evidence and facts
Case dismissed!

2 Likes

My court always convicts.

including cases of perjury by witnesses :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

I appreciate your humour guys - and also @DrMarkH 's defense - not of me, but of rational discourse - which is as it should be.

It’s a shame though that what was an interesting discussion drawing contributions from many - and some who don’t post very often - has been diverted into inward-looking personal stuff.

2 Likes

Matt, Perhaps you mean you have a have a shit load of money :slight_smile:

I liked the ‘lets bang people up on no / fabricated evidence’ analogy from @wozza- so true…

2 Likes