What to plant and when to plant it?

I can strongly recommend www.realseeds.co.uk lots of old fashioned varieties of veg & herbs, no f1 hybrids so you can collect the seeds for next year!

Only a small company & deliver here very quickly.

We did really well with tomatoes, chillis and basil on our roof terrace a few years ago![](upload://8dKj9z6XnB0zl2iEua3I3ZJuW8M.JPG)It was lots of fun, we got almost 500 chillis from these plants:

I know there are a multitude of nurseries dotted around but I'm unsure of their prices. I was actually given little choice in what I was to plant this year - my mother brought over packets of seeds at Christmas (probably to make sure I get out there digging). The parsnips, broad beans, carrots have all just gone in, and I'm growing cucumber and tomato seedlings so they can be hung upside down. I've only planted about 30% from each pack so that when one batch is almost ready, I can put in a new lot. As there are only two of us, I don't want an overload at any one time although (a) fat chance of anything actually growing and (b) the French neighbours will benefit from any 'extras' as they did with the walnuts.

My fingers are definitely not green and the cats, thinking I'm digging over a new potty just for them, don't help but green fingers crossed!

I suppose much depends on whether you want good old family nutrition or something a little more exotic. What type of things are you hoping to plant?

Hi Suzanne, I'm not an expert but April is fine for planting. Last year (my first), in April, I planted leeks, radishes, beetroot, tomatoes, courgettes, lettuces, peppers, chilis, all of which produced masses of food really quickly ( except the leeks which we harvested in October). Everything seemed to take care of themselves with just watering everyday and a little weeding. The courgettes ran away with me and we ended with lots of marrow like things but were still delicious. The crops that were useless were cauliflower, broccoli and romanescu sadly. I am hoping to find garlic and onions when I return to the Dordogne next month which I planted last October. The best thing to do is go to your local market and you should find one or two sellers who will have baby plants to sell. Obviously they will only sell what will grow in your area. If you're a novice like me, then just have fun with the kids. I bet you'll be amazed at what you get and it will be delicious. Also, in my hamlet, we all share our produce with each other and that's great and helps to make good neighbours too. Have fun :-)

We have just had our garden cleared ready for when we get back end of April. Will it be too late to plant then for the Summer? I really would love to grow some of our own vegetables with the kids. What are the easiest to grow down in the Herault - any advice gratefully accepted.