What would happen if?

Buffett has that gift but since the Internet the amounts of shares has grown vastly, so your closing postulation may be very close to the truth.

I seem to remember from the bit of economics I did, that perfect knowledge of the market is a prerequisite to explain supply and demand.
How close are we getting to perfect knowledge with the use of Internet. Or are we getting close at all globally and is it not just another tool for the haves to exploit the have nots to a greater extent?

In the case of scarce resources, yes absolutely. The FB flotation seems to have slightly screwed that principle though having ended trading below reserve. In fact, to see something almost fail is a good illustration of how greed is collectively managed, if only tacitly by people watching each other.

On the other hand Buffett's latest acquisitions include shares in companies who people were beginning to doubt and as the world's third richest man he was able to exploit their greed and anxieties.

(Areply to the newspaper article)

All very well if everybody plays by the same rules,if a cabal is formed to artificially say that there is a certain amount of a ressource available therefore the price has to go up,isn't about ressources its about greed.

That last bit is the problem and the latter group still constitute the majority.

I had been pondering this question myself recently, so when I saw the headline I thought "Ah!". So I kind of get what he's saying, but the tone of the article is amazingly condescending.

But in the end is infinite growth actually desirable? There are people, and populations, who want more and better. Equally there are others that want to live the way they always have. As a planet we're not terribly good at letting those two ideas cohabit.

Just had a dekko and it a) does what Ian says, try to explain infinite growth and b) is such doggerel it does not mean very much and any economist who could be bothered to take such trivia apart would not have to work hard. Not sure what the point was and as much as I dislike the Torygraph myself, at least they usually rely on solidly constructed articles and not ephemera like this.

Here's an article from The Torygraph that tries to explain why economies can grow infinitely.

This is from November last year, on a country level. Perhaps it has moved, but I have no clue by how much.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15748696

It doesn't say who is in debt and who in credit, but it does show the indebtedness country by country.

I also doubt anybody who got close would live to tell all. Too many people who own life and death involves - some make cosi nostri look like school kids.

I suspect yes.

So in other words, it’s impossible to measure accurately, who owes who what?

Countries is kind of done by IMF. It actually comes as a table but then there is a map version of it. Last time I looked there really was not much credit anywhere.

To be able to do anything with companies at all you would need to know the names of their investment subsidiaries, you know the branch of Boots, Tesco, Carrefour, etc who invest via Luxembourg, Andorra or wherever and then those investments are managed at their Swiss branch in Zug that consists of a mailbox or any empty office suite where post is delivered. Without the subsidieries it is impossible to tell how much more and where they have money invested to buffer the risk of debt. So I doubt that has been undertaken although I am sure there people who will have tried.

So if we said, for example, Thursday next week, we’ll all draw a line in the sand and see where we are, who owes what ?
Would we be able to draw a map of countries in debt, and those in credit?
And if not, would we be able to draw a map of companies in credit or debt and across countries.
Does anyone know if this exercise has been undertaken previously?

Thanks. I wondered if it was something like that. Not a word that crossed the Irish Sea as far as I know. :-)

Grinds, where a retired, or out of work teacher gives tutoring to a student, to help with kids who might struggle to grasp certain subjects. After school tutoring, that's what it is.

Brilliant, but Zoe, what are "grinds"??

He must then return the two hours to the exchange. This might involve him doing two hours painting work for the teacher, who in turn might repay the exchange by offering two hours grinds, and so on.

Depends how material the punters are, I suspect. As far as I am concerned, nothing is more valuable.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/time-not-cash-is-the-currency-as-new-bank-goes-nationwide-3108991.html

time banks

We do it hereabouts as well: farmer gets meadow grass for winter feed and dumps a large pile of manure in our field. The veggies and salad that feeds are traded for this than and the other, for instance tomato plants this year for one.... It is the 'centre' - those who believe they are civilisation embodied - who have lost that.