What3Words - Brilliant for France!

Maybe you already know about this … such a clever idea and ideal for France where a lieu-dit name can cover several properties. Delivery drivers don’t always find us and we’re always having to give long, complicated directions to our visitors.

What3Words

1 Like

Hi Sue :wave:
A truly life-saving app, impressive. However, some of us moved to France in order not to be found!
In a non-criminal way of course. :grin:

There is a difference between not wanting to be found,and being lost and needing help

True, but Pat, you do realise I was joking? :woman_facepalming:t3:

Oh yes

1 Like

Great Scott… OH was babbling about this earlier today - I have a dinosaur phone so will never be found :relieved:

My original address was a lieu-dit and never had a problem with deliveries, then I was given a number and road name and drivers say they can’t find my house, I’m on a main D road

I was fascinated to read the allusion to Mongolia in your linked article Sue - I worked there many years ago, and found it a strange place in many ways - including the fact that (at that time) even in the capital there were no addresses, and when people gave directions they would always use the points of the compass - eg. ‘head west then turn north’ - rather than ‘turn right’, etc.
It originated, apparently, because hardly anybody was more than a couple of generations removed from the nomadic lifestyle.

2 Likes

Could also use it to ‘bookmark’ a property when looking if agent tries the convoluted route around to get there. Or drop a pin in Google maps.

It is worse here as Aux Tetes is divided into two parts.
Theoretically you can drive between the two along the track, but you either need a heavy duty 4x4 or a tractor.
Otherwise, you have to go along the D road and then down to find our other half.
Delivery drivers know where we live after 10 years.

Just tried this app on my phone and have obtained a https://what3words.com/ address for our house.
I then went to https://www.qrcode-monkey.com/ (a free internet app) and entered the what3words address in the url section and it generated a QR code.
I downloaded the .png file and have now copied it into our visiting card program (in Linux - gLabels) along with our address, phone number etc, printed off a sample sheet of labels and voilá!! success!!
I was able to scan in the QR code on my smartphone from the sample sheet and it took me to our location in the Google Maps app.
Nifty eh?
I’m sure with further experimentation I’ll be able to copy the url and paste it to waze or Google Maps for navigation purposes.

1 Like