Whats for Dinner Tonight?

Friday fish tonight…a loin of haddock that I cool smoked on the barbecue, and will turn into a fish pie with some unsmoked haddock and prawns. Can’t stand the bright orange smoked haddock that we get in our local fishmonger.

Sounds very good Jane, I can’t stand the price of the ‘finny haddy’ in the shops, used to be cheap fish :neutral_face:

1 Like

It was on promo 9.90/kg!

1 Like

That was good!, normally 16-20 here :neutral_face:

We get amazing fish from our AMAP - 10€ a kilo for a 3 kilo box once a month. It’s a lucky dip - you get 1kg of ‘noble’ and 2 kg of ‘ignoble’ (?!) but before now we have had 3 kilos of Dover sole and huge Bonites. It’s super fresh and caught by a local fisherman. It’s also made me a much more adventurous fish cook! When I get the next huge Sea Bream out I will post a photo!

2 Likes

What’s an AMAP?

Sorry Jane - here you are! http://www.reseau-amap.org/

Ah ha! The proper name for paniers…thanks for the link. Sadly round our way it is generally meat (which we don’t eat), vegetables (which we grow ourselves), and cheese/eggs which we can get direct. I would commit a major crime for a panier of fish!

1 Like

With ours - you take out a veggie box contract and can then add everything else - pork, chicken , eggs, bread, olive oil, honey, flour , colza, apples, cider vinegar, compote, meat (!), cheese, and best of all, proper British sausages made my by my friend and local free range pork producer Andy!

2 Likes

Me too!!! Jane :grin:

Bacon, egg, saus’ and chips tonight, plus madam making oatmeal flapjacks for brekkie :yum:

1 Like

What are these oatmeal flapjacks, please? (I am assuming perhaps wrongly that they are not the sort you make with oats brown sugar golden syrup and butter) I was very surprised to discover that oatcakes weren’t at all the same thing chez moi in Scotland and in say, Staffordshire or Cheshire.

Porridge oats, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, plain flour and milk.
Oatcakes are totally different, for me :slightly_smiling_face:

And what do you do next? Bake or fry or what? Yes great surprise, for me an oatcake was a small hard thin disc of deliciousness and then the English ones were like crèpes, sort of.

Bake, just coming out now :yum:

Oatcakes with cheese, or butter and jam :yum:2

1 Like

Sounds wonderful! Recipe, please! :grinning:

1 Like

https://realfoodfans.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/cheshire-oatcakes/ the best

these sound tasty too https://realfoodfans.wordpress.com/2016/11/05/chilli-cheese-and-chutney-scones/

100 gr of butter
80 gr of brown sugar
120 gr of oat porridge
50 gr of plain flour
4 cl of milk
Vanilia extract

Pre-heat the oven to 180°

melt the butter, add the sugar. Mix it well
Add all the other ingredients and mix them thoroughly, form biscuits on the oven tray, bake for 10 mins, let them cool and solidify. Thats what Madam has told me! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@harry I was given an almost identical recipe by a friend of mine in Cheshire, but thak you for the link, I am sure people will find it useful.