What's it like on a huge cruise ship?

I’ve been on cross-channel ferries… nothing bigger than that… and even then, not always with an easy stomach…

Anyone got any “cruising” memories to swap here…

1 Like

I’ve been on 4 cruises.

My Dad worked for P&O in the early 1980s and he was eligible for a 90% discount (I think) so we were able to go cruising for just a few hundred pounds for a family of four. I loved it back then as it was a big adventure. We went on the Canberra just before she was sent to the Falklands in 1982 as a troop ship. Sadly she was scrapped in 1997. We also went on a smaller ship the Sea Princess a couple of years later where we met and made friends with Jean Alexander (Hilda Ogden from Coronation Street).

My Mum loves cruising. My Dad died just before Christmas 2005 and she wanted to get away to avoid the traditional Christmas without him so she booked the 3 of us onto one of the few remaining cruises available, a fly-cruise around the Mediterranean. It was the perfect distraction and we managed to avoid Christmas completely. Here’s a photo - Mum, brother and ship.

Last cruise was in May 2007 to Northern Europe. I vowed never to go again unless I could turn off or avoid the air conditioning. It made me ill on both cruises and I felt really trapped as it was impossible to escape the recycled air unless I went on deck. So, here’s a photo of me freezing to death so I didn’t have to breathe the nasty air inside.

2 Likes

Lovely memories you have… but, I agree about the air-conditioning…It’s one thing to have it in the car/home where you can be in control… quite another thing altogether in this sort of situation…

I seem to pick up bugs on flights…I’ve tried holding my breath… or breathing through my hanky…but it doesn’t work…:zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

been on a 3 day cruise and loved it but could not be on a ship for more than that. too many people

1 Like

In that case Stella I doubt it would suit you. Even if you can get a cabin with a balcony it’s impossible to avoid the aircon elsewhere in the restaurants, bars and public areas.

Also, these mega-ships look top heavy to me. I wonder how far they have to lean over before they topple. Definitely not for me.

2 Likes

Ha ha… no chance of getting me on anything like this… not my thing at all…

The only cruise I have been on was 3 weeks gently up and down the Nile… in a wonderful ship with only about 60 cabins… Not too big at all… just like one happy family… :relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Went on an educational school cruise on the S.S Nevasa. North Africa, Spain, Gibralter and Portugal. Exciting for a 13 year old.
I couldn’t go on one now though, too many people etc. I like my freedom!

2 Likes

yup same here.

After living in the middle of nowhere for 15 years, I don’t think They would allow me on a cruise liner anyway :scream:. Not that I’d want to go on one anyway, couldn’t stand the formality, and I’d starve as I’ve only got jeans and shorts.

3 Likes

Whats it like? never been on one, but for me I imagine, it would be regimented, Hell.
Ex Merchant Navy :laughing:

1 Like

It is totally gross.

1 Like

I worked on cruise ships for many years, these enormous ships are micro communities with all the things that go along with that, crime, drugs, theft even murder. What the passengers are exposed to is just the tip of the iceberg!

3 Likes

First company I went to sea with was ‘Ben Line Steamers’, express passenger/cargo service to the Far East. We carried only a max of 12 passengers, they had a real adventure, I envied them, great service, comfort, great food provided by the Chinese cooks, time to enjoy the trip, a very ‘old World’ (POSH) experience. When I win the Lottery, I may find a Company providing a similar service and make a round trip :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great advertising tag line for an alternative cruise🚢

3 Likes

My mother and my grandparents went on something similar when she was a teenager. They went to Argentina and back on a merchant ship as paying passengers. Quite an experience by the sound of it.
At least two of my friends were officers on P and O cruise ships in the 1970s-1990s. They enjoyed the life but I can remember one of them telling me that the novelty of dressing up and entertaining passengers on the Captain’s table every night lost its appeal quite quickly. They worked six months on and six months off which many in our group couldn’t understand. Neither stayed beyond their early ‘30s, one did a Law degree and is still a maritime Lawyer based in London, the other spent some time as Sydney Harbour Master before returning to the UK and getting married.

Elder Fyffes ‘banana boats’, ran a similar passenger service Dominic, on the Ben Line, Manchester Liners, Tate and Lyles, (Sugar Line) and other ships, us officers had to be in uniform to dine in the Saloon, a pain coming off watch and having to get spruced up if you want to eat :roll_eyes:

We have done the Nile cruise as well - my kind of boat - absolutely loved it. Not too large, and floats along without the inconvenience of any waves. Perfect - nothing would persuade me to try a large cruise ship - and even hate ferries, scary if the weather turns nasty!

That reminds me of the month I spent living in an RAF Officer’s mess. I had to dress for breakfast then go and change into the more casual clothes that I wore to work. I didn’t mind the dress code for the evening meals but it was a pain in the neck first thing.

1 Like

No way would I ever set foot on this monster, even if I was given free tickets.

It looks like a floating tower block and also top heavy. Why would anyone want to be crammed into an inside cabin with no portholes and surrounded by thousands of people?

As they say horses for courses, can’t think of a nautical equivalent :wink:

1 Like

Having said that I would love to go on one of the Hebridean Princess cruises round the Scottish Islands.