What's up with our Jasmin?

Any idea how to treat this brown stuff please?!

We have one thats a bit sad too James, I’ve put it down to the drought, but maybe not, be interested in any responses you have.

1 Like

Looks what my next-door-neighbour describes as “brûlé”, unless they’re never in direct sunlight it may well be an excess of UVL. Some of our hardiest shrubs are sun-scorched like that. It has been an unusually hot summer.

2 Likes

Without knowing the history… I wonder if it is incorrect watering…eg a really good soak once a week is better than dribbles every now and then.
Do you see the water draining away ?? If not, maybe the drain holes are blocked leading to root problems…
Also, dribbles merely dampen the surface and upper roots, leaving the bottom rooting system to “die of thirst”…

Cold water can shock an over heated plant. I always leave the filled watering can in the sun to take the chill off before watering…

More info could be helpful. How long has the plant been where it is… and in that container ??
Are they upper or lower leaves or all over the plant ?

Have you checked the undersides of the leaves for signs of disease/mites etc?

They’re quite sizeable plants for the containers, so could be thirst or starting to get a bit hungry. Trouble with containerised plants is that the symptoms of over & under watering and feeding are quite similar! However, especially if the containers are getting a bit root bound, it’s more likely to be underwatering as there’s not enough soil left to hold water.

Is there room to top dress them? Scrape off 1-2cm of soil from top of container and replace with something nicely organic. And then mulch after to stop what water they are getting instantly evaporating.

3 Likes

Ours is directly in the ground Jane, maybe just a ‘weak’ plant, it flowers, but it’s not ‘impressive’, there is a honeysuckle we planted, near it, (2m) which has gone ‘mad’ forming a beautiful fragrant hedge, maybe it’s starving the Jasmine ?

1 Like

Hi Bill…

Honeysuckle can be a bit aggressive… and is a hungry feeder… gobbles up everything…which is why it does so well virtually everywhere…

Also, it will be taking first dibs at any available water…:wink:

3 Likes

Two questions, are they in full sun and do you feed them with nutrients or just water and nothing added?

1 Like

There are actually three or four of them that I recently repotted in to these very well drained planters. It’s only one of them that is suffering, the rest have gone crazy climbing the wall, so the problem appears to be isolated to one plant. I wonder if I should separate it in case it infects the others?

Yes, do that… Better to be safe than sorry… until we identify exactly what is causing this.

Also, I reckon you can clip off the dead/dying leaves… and burn the rubbish (if you can)…somehow to stop any possibility of putting back into the ground whatever microbes may possibly be at work…

Put it somewhere neither to sunny nor too shady… give it a chance to recover…

1 Like

James… if the cuts weep a little, you can use cigarette ash to plug the wound… I use ground-pepper on people, so if you don’t smoke, you could try that instead . :thinking:

1 Like

Yikes, Stella.

May I suggest perhaps not burning, if you don’t mind my two centimes. Diseases can carry via burning. It’s probably best to bury instead.

I do hope these are native plants (not common - common is not the same as native). It would be unfortunate to spread a disease that the native plant population could be affected with and decimated by…

I’ll stop raining on your parade now :slight_smile:

James, you might try digging up and comparing the structure and health of the root systems, between the one that is not looking good, versus one of those that looks healthy. When handling a plant that might be diseased, consider precautions like wearing gloves and washing in between handling the possibly diseased plant and ones that are looking healthy to avoid the risk of infecting healthy ones.

If the roots have a difference in them, such as say, nodes on the roots of the ‘unhappy’ plant, that the healthy one’s roots don’t exhibit, then that might be a sure sign of a significant difference. Especially if the plants are exactly the same species. You might want to bring this to a local nursery and show them and see if they have suggestions? Local nurseries will know more about the issues, local soil (if you used soil from your property) and also the products that nurseries order, such as any brands of soil or compost, most often for the area.

Then again, maybe it’s just that these particular plants aren’t happy in raised beds/containers, which naturally dry out/heat up more than if they were planted directly in ground. Even though only one is exhibiting stress, it may be good to consider.

Hi Mary… we won’t fall out over this… :relaxed:

but I would be wary of allowing any part of a diseased plant to enter the earth… :thinking:

Burying/burning… both have their place…but always under proper control.:relaxed:

Mary… you raise a reasonable query… about whether the plants are native …

Years ago, plants being exported from the UK had to be covered by/issued with a Phyto Certificate… showing that they were disease free…

Presumably something like that is in place for plants imported into France… from wherever…:thinking:

I recall Father in Law being in trouble … on holiday in Spain, he took cuttings of some plants he liked and tried to take them back into UK… At that time, such things were forbidden and he was told-off most severely when going through the Border controls… naughty, naughty… but I can understand the reasoning… and so could he, in the end… :zipper_mouth_face::hushed:

Here is an article in french, maybe you can recognize the desease.
https://jardinage.ooreka.fr/fiche/voir/703461/soigner-un-jasmin-malade

I have always been told/read to burn any diseased plant. This is to stop any disease spreading by the plant spores. This is what our ancestors did and it worked for them so I will stick with it ! :zipper_mouth_face:
After all fire is a great cleanser …

1 Like

Plants you buy within Europe that are at risk of transmitting diseases will most probably be covered by a plant passport - basically suppliers are certified to produce bug and disease free plants. It applies to native, common and exotic plants. Some plants have to be quarantined before sale to ensure they are bug/disease free. You are only allowed to import plants from outside Europe if the supplier has a phyto-sanitary certificate.

Since 1974 individuals are allowed to move a few plants/bulbs/seeds of most things within EU - it used to be that potatoes and chrysanthemum weren’t allowed, but I think even they are of now for personal use. The big no-no is pieces of bark or untreated wood.

And there is a lot of concern now about controlling the spread of Xylella fastidiosa, so more species of plants have to be covered by a plant passport.

It’s another area where things may change post - Brexit as the EU has got used to free’ish movement of plants. Which personally is one of the few positives about Brexit for the UK to me, as I think we do need to put more effort into controlling these things. It’s scary how many plant diseases are changing landscapes.

1 Like

Is it the one that is in the sunniest position by any chance? It could be something like anthracnose, but I usually try to rule out the basic things first…

Very interesting and helpful comment JJ :+1: