Where are the ex-pat communities?

We're looking to move to France in the next few years and we're trying to work out where the british ex-pat communities are?

It's not because we need to be around the Brits (my wife is French and I'm learning!) but because I'm hoping to be able to work self-employed in my profession of IT and I'm thinking it's probably a good way to get some work while I'm still improving my French. Our idea is to supplement this with an income from a gites and rental income from our UK flat and hopefully end up with enough to make ends meet!

We quite like Poitou-Charantes and Aquitaine although down towards Midi Pyrenees and Langedoc appeals too.

As we've got the whole of France to choose from, there's almost too much choice!

Here in Aquitaine, in the Dordogne Eymet is called p'tit Angleterre by many locals. There are quite a few people in that area and I would include Issigeac, Beaumont and St Avit Senieur in the wider circle. I think you have to choose your place carefully if you are seriously looking for work, even in IT, with three million plus unemployed people in France and the number growing. Gites and chambres d'hote type things work some places, not others. This year was a total loss for many people whereas I can also tell you of four gites that did well, one of them on sale right now...

Hi David, we are in 34 Languedoc North of where we are ( Cap D'Agde ) lies Pézenas, a pretty thriving expat community round there.
'course the best expat community is on Survive France Network.