Where are you from and where did you move to in France?

We lived in an area of Toronto called The Beach for 26 years. Never was much of a fisherman but I have a few funny fishing stories. My bro, 40 years ago, got a lure stuck in his scalp while casting for trout. He was a little stoned so it did not hurt as much as the doctor telling him to put out his cigarette in the emergency room full of oxygen tanks. Yes we are are in a nice place especially for a cyclist.

From the Cambridge area in England. Moved to northern part of 03 2007

Hi David, I miss the beach
and trout fishing in the wild, but I DO NOT miss bears. You are living in a very nice part of France.

Hi, I have ilved in 6 countries for work and current retirement and last overseas posting, work-wise was to North, very north Ontario (Cochrane) made so many Canadian friends that after 20 years we are still writing to each other. I moved back to the Uk in '98 to help care for my mum - a culture shock as I had left in 76....met my now husband and we are happily ensconced in Charente (married 16 years). Loved Canada more than any posting, (apart from here).

I was in NL for 15 years, Spain On and off for 5 yrs, Italy 1 year, Israel 6 months, USA for 6 years and then headed up to Canada. I was In and out of France in between and always loved it. My OT lived in the UK until he took early retirement to drive supplies for Med. sans Front. based in Ukraine initially, then North Africa (various countries) returning to look after his mumin the same year I did. (she is stil with us and in France). we came originally from the same area In South Wales where his dad picked up animals from my grandfather's farm (to take to market) coincidence!.... and a very happy life now.

We live in Roquebrune Sur Argens in the Var. We are Canadians, grew up in Woodstock Ontario but live most of adult life in Toronto. My wife was born in Manchester but moved to Canada when she was 7 years old. We have been here for 6 years. I just returned from 10 days in Woodstock and Toronto. I miss Coors Light beer.

I am originally from Vancouver Island, BC. Met my British husband in Victoria and lived in East Molesey, Surrey and bought a 200sq mt derelict townhouse in St Yrieix la Perche (87500) 11 years ago and we have been working on it ever since. Unfortunately we still have a couple of years mortgage, but we decided to move to France last year and I have applied for my Carte Sejour 
 Anyone else here from Canada or live in our area? We had the most fantastic summer last year, not a cloud in the sky for 3 months
very different to UK weather. The air is sweet and we love our townhouse and walled garden and live centre ville, but considering a move to the Dordogne as we buy old furniture etc and plan on opening a Brocante but need better access to the Dordogne Vide Greniers.

Originally from Stamford, Lincolnshire. Moved to London 1990-2002 then Paris 2004 a 
?. Bought a wonderful house in Bourgogne (89) 2008.

Originally from California... then the UK, now Brittany

Can't remember if I have already answered.. but new circumstances dictate new answer anyway! I'm from Scotland originally but brought up in NE England (Teesside). Have lived in six different places in France now - more than in the UK! 93 - 94 Martigues (13), 94 - 95 Paris 5eme, 2000 - 04 Antibes (06), 06-10 Pau (64), 10-13 BĂ©ziers (34) and now Porticcio, near Ajaccio (2A). My wife is from Corsica and we have had a Pied a Terre here since 2002. I've just been made redundant from Oil Industry job so we have returned to Porticcio for the time being. I think I am the only SFNer in 2A (Corse du Sud)??

We've lived in Port Gentil (Gabon), Luanda (Angola) and Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) as well as Aberdeen in the gaps between French locations.

Born in Essex, moved to France in 2002 after spending a few years in W. Sussex...living in the Tarn

English speaking Canadian from Toronto.

Born and raised in Holland, moved to UK for 10 years ( near Huntingdon -St Ives, Cambs), back to Holland (near 's Hertogenbosch) then to Florida for 2,5 years (Tampa), then to the UK again (Reading) and from there to France (North-West FinistĂšre in Brittany to be precise) since July 2013.

Bit of a wanderer I guess :) Hoping it stops here though..

Hi,

I am originally from Bury, Lancashire, I moved to Basel in Switzerland via Verbier (Switz) and Antibes back in 1983. After 25 years living and working in the Basel area, my new partner and I built a house just over the border from Basel in the Sundgau region of Haut Rhin (68), Alsace. We both still work in Switzerland and here in this area we can take advantage of what's on offer in France, Germany and Switzerland!

Born in East London but moved to Essex as a child where I lived until I came to France about 8 years ago. Originally lived near Montpellier but now live among La Montagne Noire in the southern Tarn.

Hi James, I'm American born in Cleveland Ohio whose father was Irish and mother was Scottish. I worked for the UN in Geneva, but lived in the French town of Ferney-Voltaire before retiring and moving to the Orléans are (45) where we built a beautiful house in the historic village of Combleux. We are very happy here these last 12 years.

No commercial links please in the general discussions on SFN please Pete. Thanks.

Where are you from Pete and where are you now, same to James also, just noticec he didn’t put that when he started the discussion!

Well now we’ve all given our nationalities away, said where we currently live in France, most of us probably Christians, remembering that SFN is accessible from Facebook, and having just watched the BBC Panorama programme about Jeremy Corbyn, the extremist groups he has been associated with and is chairman of at least one in UK.

Plus the declared intent of some of them, and the current Migrant situation, I hope you never have to regret starting this particular discussion 3 months ago James, in light of all recent and no doubt, forthcing events, especially as there is concern about terrorists possibly/ probably being amongst the migrants now recently arrived in Europe, especially from Syria!
UK and France already had/has radicalised would be Jihadists this year!

In some of the past discussions we’ve had, I have said of where I thought some situations might lead and haven’t been proved entirely wrong.

Born in the county of Lindsey once part of Lincolnshire but in 1974 transferred to the abomination of Humberside. Raised subequently in Lincoln my parents kept the "Lion and Snake" in Bailgate. Then for most of my childhood years in Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire. Then University of Birmingham where a field trip to Provence alerted me to the joys of France. It could have been Belgium after our company "Theatre Export" took a bad quarto version of Hamlet to an international student theatre festival in LiĂšge of all places.

Oooo, I can't wait to read all of these. Thanks James for posting this thread :D

I was born and raised in L.A. by the beach, did a short stint, (a year) in S. Fransisco in my early 20's, then moved to Italy in my mid 20's for a few years. Then back to L.A., and about a decade later I met Vincent who emigrated here in '83. I've been with my French husband for 12 years, and we plan to move back to where he's from near Montélimar in the Ardéche (07), RhÎne Alps region. I do hair and plan to get a job in that field there, any comments/ideas/advice/recommendations welcome.
Thanks everyone :D

1 Like