Where are you from and where did you move to in France?

I came from Mars and have been trying to get back ever since but it doesn't seem to work the other way around. So I am stuck here having taken on human form. It was more fun being primeval slime on mars with only a few neurons - much less complicated. Why did I come here ? Well, it was an accident really. Like all things in life, you think you make decisions but really the decisions are made for you. Mars was such fun, you know..., you cannot imagine !

Where I was born, Elizabeth!

Yes - the rich (as in fertile) farming part of Kincardineshire; basically the southern part of Kincardineshire

I was born in Detroit, Michigan but lived most of my life in Corning, New York (upstate-more cows than people). I moved to France in 2009 after living in The Netherlands for a year. I moved here for a guy.

Back story: I took a year-long sabbatical from my job as a teacher in NY to become an Assistante de Langue in 2007. I met the guy--French. Oh la la. I moved to The Netherlands to prove that I wanted to be in Europe for ME--decided that I had enough of the states and quit my job after I had secured my job in Holland (and it was either being a full-time teacher near Amsterdam or working in Germany part-time). While in Heerhugowaard, I couldn't shake this guy that I met in France. I only worked for a year in Heerhugowaard.

The Frenchie and I have been married for 6 years now with a 3 year old and one on the way! And I'm very happy living in Callian (83), about a 20 min. drive from Cannes (06).

3 Likes

Hi, I am Byron, born in Cape Town, SA, got out as soon as I finished Uni, 1975, lived in the UK until 2014, now approx. one year in the Dordogne & loving it....

My husband and I are originally from Southampton but brought our family up in North Dorset. We bought our French home in Sarthe in 2003 (72).

1 Like

Hi

We're originally from N. Ireland and moved to the Rhone Alpes 11 years ago with my husband's job. We now run our own businesses here and are just about to put our house in the mountains up for sale and move to the Midi Pyrénées . So if anyone is interested in buying a pretty house between Grenoble and Chambery drop me a message ;D

Pam

I’m originally from New Orleans, Louisiana, USA…lived in Virginia for about 20 years before marrying an Englishman. We lived in Cornwall for the first 6 years of our marriage before retiring to the Centre region, Indre department of France in 2006. We love it here…weather is better than Cornwall, cooler than New Orleans and we have made friends with many ex-pats (American and English) as well as close acquaintances with the French.

1 Like

Originally from South Wales, lived in Herefordshire the last 30 years now retired and moved to just outside Aubeterre-sur-Dronne

Liverpool(toxteth where the riots occured)to… rouffignac in the dordogne…I have now infected the village with some of the neighbours speaking english in a scouse accent…

For my wife and I, it was simply the fact that land was a lot cheaper here than in the UK and so expanding our Farm in wales was not financial an option. France and particularly the Allier was a good location for transporting llamas to other EU Countries, didn't particularly like or dislike the French people, there was no great desire to live the French way of life and neither was there a great passion for French food or wine. :-)

For the space and beautiful countryside.
Also for an adventure.

From Leeds.Had Cottage in St Valery Sur Somme for 10 years, sold it and bought this one in the Vienne 20 years ago and finally moved here 9 years ago.

why? well after a year teaching in Brittany then a maîtrise in Aix-en-Provence, I always planned to come back, what I didn't plan on was getting sorted with a local, having kids (or frog sprogs as they're termed back in the UK) and having my momentum stopped as the plan was to keep going to italy...!

Originally from Wales, we are moving to Charente from the UK in JULY 2015, hopefully our last move, we have lived and worked in 8 countries between us from 1976-1998, returning to the UK to care for elderly parents. Now we are able to finally choose where we want to live:- FRANCE! (bringing one parent with us - who is going very strong at 92! - she has no real health problems and just acquired her very own first Tablet, on email and FB already). Counting the days (31) to the off!

Hi George, do you know the Howe of the Mearns

I would also like to know WHY people came to France?

I am from the Lancaster area and moved to Kent when I married. Then NE Hampshire and then over 20 years near Stroud in the Cotswolds.
We now live in the beautiful Clunysois of Southern Burgundy.

Hi Catherine, nice to meet someone else from Africa. Yes, there and a fair number of Brits in that Department, but there are also other nationalities, so one gets to practice the other languages too. If one is still working, the English issue isn't a problem. This may seem a strange question to ask, but are you and your husband the couple who did the tele show 'Home or away" shown fairly recently? Did your husband also spend time in Africa?

I’m a Geordie born and Northumbrian bred.

35 years ago I twinned my middle school with the local collège here in St Palais, 64.
Bought a house here 10 years ago and moved permanently just over 2 years ago. Love it here, it’s certainly warmer than the NE of England.