Where are you from and where did you move to in France?

I was born in London, brought up in Kent and Malaya, qqpent 35 years in Bahrain, before moving to Australia, which I loathed, so returned to live in Dubai for 4 years and then back to Bahrain for another 6 years!

When I first came to France I lived in a village in Deux Sevres for 4 years and then moved to UGINE in Savoie.

Thinking about moving again - perhaps somewhere around Arles.

Born in High Wycombe, grew up near Oxford, spent a decade or so in Devon then moved to the Aveyron (taught for a year in Brittany and did my maĂźtrise FLE in Aix-en-Provence). Now in the Tarn. Met my OH once I'd moved out here, she's aveyronnaise as are our kids, although they're growing up tarnais.

My wife and I are from North Yorkshire - the coast.

We now live in Cantal - Auvergne. The countryside here is reminiscent of the Yorkshire Dales (without the tourists), although its as far from the coast as you can get ! and the rural style of living is similar ( eg no buses, shops closing, little employment for the young, but loads of lovely fresh air, walks, big valleys and puys) So great if you're retired but not so if you need to work.

I am from Newbury in Berkshire and after a long search in SW France finally settled in Beautiful Auvillar, Tarn et Garonne in 2010

Je suis Americaine aussi, Paul. From Boston, but lived 11 years in Ireland before moving to France 3 years ago. We live in a hamlet near Cognac.

1 Like

I am from Hull. My father was in the RAF and was posted to was in Germany, Singapore and Aden. Finally settled in Sussex and now in Thiolieres, near Ambert in the Puy-de-Dome

Hi all. We are both originally from Dublin, and now live in a beautiful mediaeval village in Aude (11).

Originally from London, moved to Switzerland (Lake Geneva area) for work in 2008, then to France in 2013 where we have had a holiday house since 2003 in Blacé 69460, RhÎne-Alpes.

St Neots in Cambridgeshire and I came to France in 1991 to open a French office for the group I then worked for. We came to Lyon because of the great support we had from ADERLY who help companies set up in the Rhone Alpes region. Having been "let go" when the group got bought out, I now run my own business doing IT support and helping people create/maintain websites.

Hi James,

I am Originally I'm from Manchester, but lived in London for 30 years before moving to Brittany (35, Antrain) at the start of 2014 to set up and run my gite.

Born and raised in Surrey, lived in North East, North West and Oxfordshire. Bought house on the Charente/Vienne border. A peaceful, warm (in the summer) and rural haven that is a convenient half day's travel from the ferry at Le Havre or Ouistreham. Now spending half the year there in chunks between 2 weeks and 2 months long. Semi retired but still have business in UK which takes me to other corners of the world that requires occasional attention.

I was born in High Wycombe too and grew up there, then moved to Marlow and Bourne End before moving to Toulon in the South of France. I now live to the West of Lyon with my French husband and 4 kids.

Hello. I was born in Plymouth, raised in Surrey, lived in the UAE (Abu Dhabi then Sharjah then back to Abu Dhabi then Dubai) for a total of 16 years, back to UK, divorced first husband, moved to Southampton area, met and married second husband, bought house near Luçon in the Vendée (85) where we split our time 50-50. Currently a workshop widow - my husband is a classic motorbike nerd, spends his time restoring old heaps of rusty junk into bright shiny but still authentic bikes. If anyone has similar interests and lives near us, he'd love to meet a kindred spirit - my eyes glaze over when he starts telling me all about his latest pet project! As for why we chose this area, we came to visit friends, on the spur of the moment went to look at 4 houses, OH fell in love with this one because of the potential for a large workshop so we bought it - having seen it for all of half an hour!

Workshop is so important and was also a key element in our selection of property (and a big kitchen for my wife who loves cooking.) My passion is building wooden boats but I would happily watch and talk motorbike restoration. Have often fancied trying my hand.

Not desperately nearby (86, about 50k due South of Poitiers) but within range.

Likewise split our time 50/50.

Born Bristol, then South Wales, Wembley, Manchester, Sunderland, Uni at Bangor (North Wales), Middlesborough, St Albans, then around and about Halesworth, Suffolk since 1993. Bought recently in Verteuil-Sur-Charente, Charente to spend as much time as possible! Coming back next week.

My father was a career US Army engineer, so I grew up in Germany, Japan, and the Philippines, plus seven US states. High school in Germany, dancing in discos and watching the young teachers come in on Monday mornings with skis still on top of their cars convinced me to become an educator. Returned to Germany to teach; France was always a default weekend trip. Returned to US for grad school, married, lived in four more states with husband's career moves. I was 47 before I ever lived at one address for more than 3 years. I've taught everything from preschool multihandicapped to high school biology and remedial reading at a jail facility. Last 12 years was ESL, mostly classes of refugees and asylees. My three children are grown and scattered across the US, so I decided to be the mom who lives in the south of France. Moving to SĂšte in June.

1 Like

Hi Tim - Pete is the same as you - is interested in all sorts of building projects, would also be interested in your boat - he's got another project on the back burner at the moment (rebuilding a morgan three wheeler) which also might interest you. Would be nice to meet up, shame you don't live a bit closer. That said, you may be our nearest SFN neighbours - we seem to be the only people from the Vendee.

Né et elevé Birmingham but then Cambridge from 24yo.

I am originally from Finland as well. I have lived in Sweden, Germany and 15 years in US before retiring in Paillé, near St Jean D'Angely

LIved in MAnchester until 1965 then moved to York - came to France ten years ago to be with our daughter and grandsons we live in Burgundy