Where are you getting your fix since Brexit

Thanks for that, I might try making some for the man shape, he is really missing HP, we usually get it brought over by his mum but as she has now not been for so long… and prices here are insane!

Super U in Plestin (22) has a shelf full but in Lanmeur (29) 10km distant they have nothing “foreign” !!

Our Super U is great!

We only knew it as french toast, but never with bovril or marmite…shudders!

This might be an option :thinking:
https://www.monoprix.fr/courses/marmite-2309363-p?esl-k=sem-google|nu|c472749439633|m|k|p|t|dc|a109712327165|g11362533493&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8N2d-czp7gIVgoXVCh0fugfnEAQYASABEgJhgvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

When posting links it’s often worth stripping everything off after the “?” and then, if the link still works, posting the shorter version - it’s bad enough that Google tracks you but when anyone clicks the link above Google will think it’s you again.

2 Likes

Just to turn this on it’s head is there anyone who has returned from France to the UK and misses French products?
There are a few things I miss and just can’t get in the UK. Proper chewy freshly baked gros pain from a boulangerie with beautiful French butter, Caprice des Dieux cheese (like brie but with a milder flavour), proper flavoured yoghurts with sugar & fat instead of the plethora of 0% concoctions purporting to be yoghurt that you find in the UK and Apaisyl Gel which is the best thing for any insect bites.
These are just what immediately spring to mind!
Izzy x

1 Like

and Lysopaïne?

My god, the price :woozy_face: :roll_eyes: :woozy_face: :roll_eyes: :woozy_face:

Oh yes of course! Wonderful stuff for sore throats. No equivalent for that in the UK. Not had a sore throat for a very long time though, just one of the benefits of all the mask wearing and hand-sanitising and social distancing.
Izzy x

2 Likes

@IzzyM

You need to have deep pockets…

https://www.frenchclick.co.uk/p-393-caprice-des-dieux-lait-pasteuris-300g.aspx

Thanks Jane. Not sure I miss it quite that much. Eek!
Izzy x

Oh wow that’s a fabulous site. I’d forgotten about Andros compots. I loved those so much. Especially the Delice de Cerise. I think I will just have a look round.
Thanks again Jane.
Izzy x

keep your eye out - somewhere near my MIL (Yorkshire) one of her supermarkets sell it - Sainsbury’s I think.

Oh my goodness. I’m in the East Midlands so not far from Yorkshire. Will have to check out the supermarket websites. Thank you!
Izzy x

1 Like

I usually find myself biting my bottom lip or inside my cheeks and they are great for that too.

1 Like

More serious, to us, we used to come back from the UK with about 12-15kg of Wyke Farms Extra Mature Cheddar as sub £ 6 a kilo at Lidl, now its not possible. Yes I can buy Cheddar from Unico at about € 13 a kilo but its in silly little 200g blocks, damn useless to us. Bottle of HP you can still bring back or get a visitor the bring, us, we’re up le russeau de merde for cooking and toasting cheese. Don’t care about sausages, we take saucisses superieur to UK, bacon? ditto Poitrine fumé to UK as dry cured streaky, but cheap cheese? aaagh

That is a serious amount - our nearby Carrefour in Libourne stock Wykes at the deii counter but nowhere near £6 a kilo.

The think I really miss is Aussie / UK sausages. The closest I’ve found is in the summer Lidl do a ‘saussise a griller’ in 1kg packs (10 big sausages) they are weird as in I think they are part cooked or something so don’t resemble a ‘normal’ sausage at all but they taste nice, kind of like a Cumberland. German made.

I keep meaning to buy a sausage maker for my Kenwood so I can try to make my own!

You aren’t that far from Bergerac, go down the N21 to Plaisance/Eyrenville and get your sausages from la famille Morris. And probably see all sorts of nice pigs living a nice piggy life.

3 Likes