Where do you go for nice tomatoes?

There's the bio market Thursdays, disappointment with which was what kicked this off. Also the big market (Sète) Wednesdays which has some local produce. No AMAP in 34.

do you have a local AMAP? http://www.avenir-bio.fr/annuaire_amap.php or a local bio farmer who produces their own veg? I have a lady who brings me home grown tomatoes, eggs from her chickens and whatever veg is in season each week to my door. She also knows where to get the most amazing cepes - I suspect it's her retired father who goes foraging but I have the most amazing cepe mushrooms at the moment. I'm eating practically not a lot else but tomatoes and cepes!

Tomatoes and New Potatoes are the only reason I bother with a veg patch, you can't buy anything with a taste that matches your own homegrown produce. Local market tends to have some semi-reasonable produce most of the time, much better than any supermarket except perhaps Grand Frais.

Yes and no Steve. As we get, shall I say, further away from our youth our sense of smell which is a large part of taste gets less sensitive and also our taste buds basically get worn out. So things sometimes taste less good (or bad) than we remember. However, I have grown tomatoes in what comes back out of cattle for a few years and our ones certainly do taste far better than even the locally grown organic ones. There may be a little bit on bias in there but I try my hardest to be objective and some of the local bought ones outstrip mine but even the bio supermarket ones never have.

where's the edit link gone? finger trouble spelling

Dear James I can edit my reply but not the original post. Ahem, pretty please?