Where do you live?

Wall-to-wall carpet in every room :D

I moved from Watford (Herts) to Paris when I was 4. Iā€™ve been living in Paris ever since. My French wife, Emilie, and I were raised in the now very posh 12th arrondissement but had to move to the cheaper 10th in 2007 when our second daughter was born - we now have three aged 10, 7 and 4. We live in a nice ancient flat with wooden floor, mouldings and chimneys (the famous ā€œparquet, moulures, chemineesā€) that I renovated. There is only one room for the kids. We would need an extra 20 sq. meters but that would cost us 200,000 euros, which we canā€™t afford. I would love to move to the west coast or even the Alps but I work as an English to French translator for a bank in La Defense (the French equivalent of the City) and donā€™t think itā€™s the right time to go freelance. Most of my colleagues are Irish or Scottish but I donā€™t get to speak English enough. Hope to meet you soon.

Me too ! But every home is someone's castle :)

We live in the dordogne in a small village,24340

It is and also seems to benefit from a pleasant micro-climate even though it is 350m up on a ridge - place called Puy d'Arnac (which was something else I liked - the name!). All the weather changes are great but the best are looking down in the folds of mists which make the hills look like islands.

Best of all was the unbelievable price showing that there are real bargains out there - or at least round here two years ago. Or maybe we just got lucky? Great neighbours as well - what more can you want?

It's lovely up there but I wouldn't like it in winter. Perhaps I'll drop in next time I'm cycling up there.

Clearly, you like it flat!

Magnifique

We use St Malo as our "usual" port to and from UK; rarely do we pass straight through - it's too nice, always worth an overnight stay. One of these days we'll get round to having a holiday round there.

Hey Dawn, you're almost neighbours [we live about 35 minutes south of Albi]. We also have a good friend and neighbour, Laura, who is Canadian!

Sounds like my 2 dogs and our goat , every time one dog tries to steal the goats food ( he eats any thing) the goat butts him up the posterieur !! Not tried cafe Paix where is it? i have been to the woolpack but normally go to carcassonne market on a saturday must try the Mazamet one one day , is it good ?

15 minutes Pamela, we have used the Lac cafe when my daughter comes over with the family but rarely otherwise, mostly the cafe de Paix after the market on a Saturday morning in Mazamet. We take the dogs around the lac occasionally but we have a big enough field for them to run in with the goats. I sometimes wonder who chases who when they are all in together, the goats idea of play is a head butt the dogs are wise to that and keep their distance happy to chase and be chased but no contact.

When the dogs go out in the snow they come back looking like Poplar Bears as their coat is so thick the snow is insulated from their body heat so doesn't melt unil they are all in the kitchen

John you can be that far from me in Pradelles ? Do you ever use the Lac cafe ? Lovethe picture of the river.. I actually like the winter here much more fun than Cornwall and the dogs love it .

Hiya Jeanette, Where near Chateaubriant are you? Used to live near there myself in Sion les Mines in our tiny wee first house ( but we loved it) . Nevermind anybody else having beautiful big houses , a nice picture hung up over the mantelpiece and a pot of flowers in the window sill and you've got yourself a home, just do it up bit by bit and enjoy the birdsong!

I lost touch with a mate there many years ago - Richard Kaye and Penny his wife. He used to play saxophone in a bar there some nights - total barmpot!

There's a new discussion on where to live in France and I thought you folks might offer some advice to Lindsey? Here it is...

In the middle of the vines. In the heart of the wine country near St Emilion and not far from

Bordeaux.

Hi Clive
Rod here, have been trying to contact you, Pam also wants to check youā€™re OK.
Please let me know
Thanks
Rod
r.murdison@btinternet.com
00 44 208325 6497

Hello, Iā€™m new to this website - we bought a property in Aude two years ago, an existing chambres dā€™hĆ“tes and some land. Keen to meet and speak with fellow English speakers . I am still working full-time in Scotland, and try to visit around six times each year. I love to cycle along the tow path at canal du Isi and visit local pubs in cuxac, fontiers cabardes etc but not being fluent in French speaking itā€™s difficult to have general chat. Am looking to join exercise classes nearby, I love to wander around vide greniers too. Anyone care to join me ?

2 Likes

Hi Christineā€¦ so long as you keep smiling and throw a few words into the general chit chatā€¦you will be fineā€¦no need for long sentencesā€¦the weather is always a good topicā€¦:grin:

eg: big smile ā€¦ ā€œsoleilā€¦ magnifiqueā€¦ā€ or (shivering)ā€¦" brrrrrā€¦ froidā€¦" or even.bigger smileā€¦"la biĆØre ā€¦ superbeā€¦ " people will really appreciate you making such an effort.

1 Like