Where to from France

Haven’t seen that at all here, and we’ve been in the hospital several times lately. Then again, there’s not a large British community here abouts with even the Minervois and Med coast not having lots of Brits. What we do have is Occitan and French in some places, although I haven’t noticed it in the hospital.

English language is not aimed only at the Brits…
This Summer, we’ve had a real mixture… Americans, Spaniards, Danes, Belgians, Dutch, Ukranien et al … and English has been their preferred language over French…

Costa Rica

1 Like

:+1:. Same here, although ‘on the fiddle’ may be a bit strong. We know a lot that will take whatever they can, get away with whatever they can and fleece you if they could … in an ever so nice manner. I think it may be a French deep Southern countryside thing.

Barnsley.

Peter Bird… is that your preferred place over France ? :smile: :rofl: ???

1 Like

Mid West Wales. Probably somewhere near Machynlleth. Lived around there for several years in my youth, and would have stayed if I could have got a decent job. West Yorkshire it was.

Wales is so beautiful in parts. Great countryside and pretty coastlines too. Not my scene but can appreciate why it would be your choice. West Yorkshire isn’t bad at all, at least it is Yorkshire and God’s own county!!!

1 Like

Barnsley, the St Tropez of South Yorkshire !

4 Likes

of course, i was just thinking the same :+1:

That reminds me. I haven’t had a real Barnsley chop in ages :drooling_face::drooling_face: Our local butcher does the full double chop, but he does them thinner. I’ll have to ask him to do some double thickness ones for me.

1 Like

Too cold for me!

I’d argue that the food’s far better and more varied in Toronto than Montreal, even though the latter’s the only city where I’ve dined in a kosher (kasher, not ‘pukka’!) Moroccan resto.

I am reminded of tourtiere and poutine, and wonder who has ‘enjoyed’ such French-Canadian ‘delights’. :wink:

Not to mention too hot as well. 49.6C in British Colombia last year :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

This is a strange thread.

My OH and I have chosen to live in France after over 30 years in Hong Kong. France because we speak French and wanted to be in Europe, in a country whose rule of law we can trust, system transparency (albeit entertainingly bureaucratic) and a way of life that is familiar and that we love.

Long before making the move and knowing that HK would not be our final home, we looked carefully at European countries we had loved when visiting and where we had contacts. We also both needed to be on the same page preference-wise.

For early retirement we chose sunny sud de France over dank UK and have not regretted it for an instant.

Had I been single, and a lot wealthier, (both fairy dreams), I would be living in Japan. Tokyo Asakusa or possibly Kyoto. Safe. Orderly. And aesthetic.

Everyone needs a fantasy but I am glad to be living the dream here in France :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Monaco.

having spent most of my life in UK, moving every few years… I am thrilled to finally have roots, well-planted ones… France is my HOME

Presumably to get out of there :wink:

However, @JaneJones and myself have disagreed about Iceland before!

I’ve had the priviIege of having work in their national gallery’s millenium exhibition, given papers at the the University of Reykjavik and toured the southern half of the country.

Whilst I find the people very interesting as individuals, the culture is so limited (don’t even mention the food and drink!), also their history, despite extending over a thousand is possibly the most limited of anywhere in Europe because the country was so poor and isolated that nothing happened during most of the second millenium Furthemore, so little of the country’s ever been really habitable and despite all the wide open spaces, I think it would ultimately be very claustrophobic.

And the clincher, Most of the Icelanders I’ve known have opted to live elsewhere.

However, we’ve chosen to live in two very different parts of France and I don’t suppose either of us would want to swap.

2 Likes

We lived in the Minervois for five years and the place was riddled with Brits so things must have changed. Olonzac market and the ‘Cafe de la Poste’ were swarming with English folk. In our small village of Mailhac we knew at least eight British families.
It was enjoyable and maybe one day we may return as we still have several friends down that way.