Where to spend the night

Hello

We will shortly be going by car to the UK, from Montpellier. We want to break the journey to the Euro-train terminal at Calais into two, possibly three stages, and we want to avoid Paris.

If we do it in two days and split the driving into approx. 600 Km the first day and 400 Km on the second, we want to stop somewhere near Tours. If we split the journey into three we would stop somewhere near Bourges on the first night, and Rouen on the second.

Our car will be full including the back seat, and we want to avoid having to empty the inside of the car at night, so we need to find places to stay that have secure parking, such as farms doing B&B. Can anyone recommend places to stay where secure parking is available.

We tend to stop in Le Mans about an hour from Tours. There are a few of the budget hotels beside the motorway there.

We have left our car full there quite a few times without problems.

We’ve used this hotel several times in Saumur. Secure parking etc and easy to get on the motorway north to Rouen. It’s about 75k from Tours.
https://www.saumurhotelduparc.com/

Closest to your route we’ve stayed is here, the owner has a small car park at the bottom of the garden. Its in the centre of Chateauroux and secure. Lovely B&B;

If doing the Rouen route then I would always recommend this small independent just south of Rouen.

Husband and wife owned, and he is a master chef.

Hi Graham

On of my favourite parts of travelling in France is finding an out of the way logis, chambre d’hôtes, or pension in a small town, then dinner at a cheap restaurant with a bottle of the local red. We must have done it 20 times and never been disappointed. 'Course there could always be the first time… but that’s part of the adventure!

Ok, so its not like skydiving or bungee jumping, but I takes my adventures where I finds 'em.

Bon courage!

Why go so far west? You could go east and stop overnight somewhere like Troyes.
Actually where you stop is purely a question of what you fancy because it isn’t a huge drive, you could do it in a day no problem.

1 Like

About 30 km south of Tours is Azay sur Indre (not to be confused with Azay le Rideau). There’s an excellent B&B there with English-French owners. It’s near the beautiful village of Chedigny, the only village in France that is also a Jardin Remarquable. Loches is not far south and is a wonderful place to visit, especially on market morning.

We’ve met Belgians and British couples there who say they always stop at La Bihourderie on their way to the south of France. It’s on a quiet road surrounded by farm fields. You can haul all your things into your room, then go off for dinner in your empty car.

I don’t know how TripAdvisor added itself to my link. I thought I’d linked directly to the B&B’s website. TA can be entirely too pushy. I’m going to try the link again.

Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated. We finally settled on Artenay as the place to spend the night.

A friend of our stayed at Troyes last year on the return trip to the ferry. She said it was a beautiful town. Our French neighbours had to tell us how to pronounce it.

1 Like

@Teresaship “Our French neighbours had to tell us how to pronounce it” (Troyes)…

I shan’t sleep now until I know how to pronounce it, 'tho I have no plans to visit and and will forget I ever heard of it within 24 hours…or perhaps not :thinking::thinking::thinking::confounded::confounded::confounded::dizzy_face:

Like 3

You are a sanity-saver, Veronique, and with a mercurial mind :grinning::+1:

1 Like

Yes. It doesn’t look anything like trois does it, well not to an English person?

You must have heard the football score - Strasbourg trois Troyes trois.

2 Likes

Or Worcester to an American (and not a few British people too)?

1 Like

I used to live near a place called Aslackby pronounced Azlebee.

1 Like

Me too! And more worryingly, Folkingham.

2 Likes

We went to a folk camp at Woolfardisworthy known as Woolsery

2 Likes