Which areas in France do the Dutch like to live

Exactly! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
If I wanted to be surrounded by Brits, I would have stayed in the UK! :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

I could do with less French people :joy::joy:

2 Likes

It’s getting hard to find places with out brits

1 Like

Historically we have immigrants from everywhere and also waves of internal migration - they just come at different periods, eg there are lots of Poles in the NE because of mines, Alsaciens in the SW after 1870, Italians after WWI, Spaniards between the wars and after WWII, Algerians in the 50s and 60s, Portuguese in the 60s, people from all over the place. So much the better :blush:

4 Likes

Having just checked what Bame stands for I can’t understand why you are mentioning it. Nothing has been mentioned the people that come under that umbrella.

1 Like

This is actually true! My sons’s GF is Dutch (and he now lives there!) and I asked her about this phenomenon of the Dutch taking all their food etc with them. I wasn’t sure I really believed it but she confirmed that her dad used to do it all the time (even down to beer) but apparently now is ‘getting better’ and buys when he is away. I just find the whole idea absurd, for me part of the holiday is trying new things!

I see the odd Dutch car driving around but don’t know of any that live here.

I don’t mind mixing people up my French girlfriend is moroccan jewish

There are lorries delivering Dutch products to the south every month.
In the same way that, I imagine, the “From mouse to house” system works (or worked)

1 Like

What? The Japanese?? :slight_smile:

Or Liz Truss?

5 Likes

We’ve lots of Dutch friends down here in the Aveyron and the adjacent Cantal; neither are expensive departements. Rather, people are attracted to the landscape - deep, forested riverine gorges in the Aveyron and hills and peaks in the Cantal. Both are about as un-Netherlands as one could wish for.

1 Like

The point is that IF you have said you wanted to avoid areas with many BAME residents, you would have rightly been called a racist. Somehow, it’s OK to make sweeping generalisations and offensive comments about Dutch people. There’s good and bad, frugal and generous in all nationalities.

2 Likes

I haven’t made any offensive comments about Dutch people , I just asked which areas the preferred to live in and that we had a lot of them around where I live. What is your problem with that, I’m not responsible for any replies.

You’re being disingenuous and you know it.

1 Like

@Jackie

Can you tone it down please, you are in danger of breaching our T & C. Thanks.

That’s probably true but is right? In my neck of the woods the Dutch are renowned for pitching up with their Dutch sourced three week “holiday packs” which, sadly, help them avoid contributing to the local economy. I don’t care one way or the other but a couple of local Dutch friends explained it to me and it made total sense. The Dutch are very money conscious, that’s just a fact.

Despite being a dyed in the wool liberal, I am more and more worried that a lot of legitimate criticism is stifled, no matter how justified, under the politically correct smokescreen. While obviously discriminating against individuals is wrong, calling nations, regimes or religions to account is not. Israel is pursuing a strategy of apartheid and ultimately ethnic cleansing. I think any idiot with half an eye can see that. But they are using the smokescreen of antisemitism to block criticism. Does writing that make me anti-Semite? Well, Tel Aviv (or is it now Jerusalem ) and too many parts of the US would say yes.

4 Likes

You are right Deb. It’s better to discuss and debate.

Welcome to one of our world’s most pressing planetary dilemmas and one I’ve personally struggled witn for years…:slightly_frowning_face:

I’ve never been able to remain silent about Gaza and have been branded as an anti Semite so many times that it’s now water off a duck’s back…

I’ve switched off from following the 24 hour wall to wall blanket coverage covid/coronavirus mainstream media news cycle because I’m on the verge of not believing a single word the mainstream media are saying…

1 Like

Don’t worry Helen, I’ve been banging this drum far and wide without fear or favour for a long time.

1 Like

Me tone it down? You’re fine with this kind of post? I don’t want to be part of a group that accepts this kind of nastiness. Please remove me.

I agree with you Helen - and with everything in John’s post you quote. But there is a subtle difference between ‘calling nations, regimes or religions to account’ and indulging stereotypes of ‘peoples’.
The latter I think are best avoided, because although it’s clearly possible for friendly nationalities to have harmless banter at each other’s expense, it’s hard to stop this going too far and becoming offensive, or perpetuating a really harmful stereotype.

1 Like