Which category to choose for vet visit

Which box did he tick?

1 Like

He did tick a box, and added he was out to break someone’s face. Unsurprisingly, he was also fined for being pissed in public.

Our poor old dog is long gone but her chip was registered in Ireland and her European pet passport was “Irish”. I never had any intention of registering her here (she was as European as I am) and our vet never suggested we did. Any chance you “over complied” with the rules Bettina :slightly_smiling_face:

I wish it was that. Mickey has a microchip, it needs to be registered so should he get lost and found he can be traced back to me.
I had no problems registering the UK cats with ICAD.
With the kitten - I followed the same procedure, go to the vet, ask for them to register the cat with their surgery, fill out the form for ICAD to register the chip, pay 10Euros for the registration.
All hell broke loose and I was accused of importing an cat with an illegal passport. To this day I have no idea what I did wrong… but he prefecture has sent various threatening letters and in order to keep my cat, I am complying.

If that was me I’d have gone ballistic. I admire you sang froid.

1 Like

Well there are things in life to go ballistic over, French bureaucracy is
just what it is. I broke the rules unwittingly- now Mickey has to wait until he has his next
rabies vaccination before he can go out.
At least the Chasse won’t be taking pot shots at him…

Showed this to our vet today and he said it sounds like an over zealous idiot to him :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: not nice when it happens to you though.

2 Likes

Ah well … its one of ‘those things’

Can’t do that if you are using your phone

Doesn’t matter - adding the extra description is just belt and braces.

Can two boxes be ticked on one attestation?

I say yes, my OH says no - but we’ve yet to be stopped so don’t know which of us is right :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

If I have RDV I will do food shopping on the way home, rather than make two journeys.
I’m with you Jane :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Same here, I did stop after the vet appointment, Protesting cat in the booth
got bread, and nails for husbands DIY projects.
Our local Gendarmes are OK - had a few quizzing looks, but they seem to know our car.
Our Neighbour is the widow of a high ranking Gendarme so they pop in to say hello and check on the safety of our hamlet

1 Like

Can I ask you a little more about this? I am exporting two kittens to the UK in January. The letter you posted talks about the cat having had a medical check before travelling, which I know about, but I couldn’t see anything about registering it in France. Also it mentions a TRACES certificate but that seems to be for more than 5 animals. (https://www.mesdemarches.agriculture.gouv.fr/demarches/particulier/vivre-avec-un-animal-de-compagnie/article/voyager-hors-de-france-avec-un) Am I missing something?

Hi Vivien,
I wish I could clarify the regulations, but I am still in the dark about my mistake. Other than that I was supposed to have registered the cat within 48hrs of importation.
But you are exporting kittens from France to the UK?
I have no plans whatsoever to take my cats back to the UK, so I have not really checked on the regulations for that.
When I last brought a cat into the UK - pet passports did not exist, Alex had to spend 6 months in Quarantine kennels. TWICE as I brought him from New York, then took him to Canada (easy) and back to London.
I would guess you will need to have a rabies titre test as well as the usual pet passport to take any pet into the UK after Brexit?
Sorry, cannot help any more

P.s. are you travelling with the kittens? I would suggest to contact a pet travel company, they might have a better idea of import regs to the UK.

Hello Bettina

Thanks for getting back to me. When you say “registered” do you mean registering their microchips with I-CAD, or something else? At least you have the cat at home with you, having it put in kennels for months would be awful. I keep my cats indoors, except for walks in the garden on leads so that bit would be normal for me. (One is not neutered, cars in the village drive much faster these days, and there is a neighbour known to poison cats)

I brought my three cats over to France in October 2019. Fairly easy. Microchip, passport, rabies jab, wait 3 weeks. They were scanned in UK but not France. Got a “pet-friendly” cabin with Brittany Ferries. I had already found a very nice cattery and left them there for a few days and went back for moving my furniture. They were all in shock when we reached the cattery but had recovered the next day. I found I had to re-register their microchips with I-CAD (at the vets, after I found I couldn’t enter a French address on their UK microchip site), and I have since registered my breeding cat’s pedigree with LOOF. Just waded through writing a contract for a French kitten sale, combining 6 examples I had been sent or found online, and have sent it to my French buyers asking them to point out my mistakes.

Two kittens are going to England, one to a French buyer, and I’m keeping one. Covid has made this even more difficult, which is one of the reasons two are going to England despite their price in France being twice what I sell them for in England. I would normally invite potential buyers to meet the kittens, then I can watch them and question them and decide if they would offer a suitable home. It gives buyer the chance to get used to kitten behaviour and sometimes a particular kitten is drawn to them. This year I haven’t been able to do that, and it is harder for me to evaluate people when speaking French than English. Fingers crossed on many counts!

Hope it gets sorted out soon.

Vivien

Hi Vivien,
such lovely kittens. I will scan the paperwork from Charente Prefecture for you - I simply went to my vet to register the cat with the surgery and get the ICAD registration for the chip. I purchased Mickey in Germany, but could not visit due to Covid and could not pick him up until he was 6 month old. Did talk to the breeder over the phone and received bi monthly photos etc. She also started ‘lead training’ him once I found a jacket type lead small enough for him.
He has the standard EU passport which contains all the vaccinations, the only thing that was pointed out to me was that the breeder was listed in the passport first, then my name and address. Since I went by car to pick him up (1000km each way) there are no border checks whatsoever.
The UK cats came with us - same route as you - but we had them in the cattery in Scotland for a couple of nights while packing up, then took a leisurely 3 day drive to France. They were quite OK since we were around all the time. Both were lead trained anyway so stopping at a motorway station for a stroll was quite a sight, but not uncommon for us.
Sadly Bunny passed away in January (pancreatic cancer), but our old (17 yrs) boy Tom is hanging in there and now terrorizing the local cat population. He loved the hot summer - now not so much it is too cold for his old bones. He is mostly hanging out in front of the fire or in ‘his’ armchair.
Anyway - Brexit has put a spanner in the works for many things. I hope your Kittens have an easier time getting to the UK. Importing a cat into the UK from abroad used to be a nightmare with the Quarantine Kennels - fingers crossed it doesn;t come to this again. I called it Kitty Concentration Camp.
B