Which path to take?

I readily hold my hands up to the fact that I should have addressed this before but having been lulled into a sense of security by various politicians I am now beginning to realise that a ‘cliff -edge’ Brexit, though it will quite probably be avoided at the last moment, is at least an increasingly possible outcome.

To this end I have revived my research of a couple of years ago and now seek any advice from fellow contributors who may have an opinion. I am aware of the difference between the Carte de Sejour and the Titre de Sejour (the former I believe being the permission to reside and the latter being the right to reside) but am now thinking that naturalization , or the taking of French citizenship, is the logical and best option for me. It seems the most secure path, the paperwork no more complex (possibly even less so if I am reading correctly) and the most expeditious.

I am sure some here will be on these various paths and I’d welcome comment before I apply as I am quite possibly overlooking something fairly obvious.

Thank you.

There is a huge difference between getting a CdS and applying for French nationality. If you fulfil the requirements to apply for and get French citizenship there is absolutely no way that you will not be able to continue to live in France without doing so whatever type of Brexit comes along. Only you will know if you really want to take the huge step and become French; to follow that route just to stay in the country is like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

2 Likes

Hello David…………I do appreciate your sentiment about sledgehammers and nuts etc. but my reasoning is that as I do believe I fulfil the requirements it seems the logical choice. I would not be ‘becoming French’ per se and I believe one retains British Citizenship as a birth right. That said if I am not planning on going anywhere anytime soon then it may be the wisest course. I believe the only immediate ‘benefit’ is the entitlement to vote in national elections?

1 Like

Your reply makes me believe that you should not even consider taking up French citizenship. It is a huge step, not an act of convenience.

3 Likes

to be honest, Damian, you wouldn’t get past the interview stage of the naturalisation procedure. You have to demonstrate/prove your will and desire to become French during an hour and a half interview! :wink:

6 Likes

I think I gave the wrong impression here so I will reiterate. I am certainly committed to France and having had a house here since 1990, lived and worked here since 2003 and been married here in 2004 my spirit is more French than English. I work in the market place and although far from fluent my French is certainly passable. Anyway, I thought language requirements were more fluid for the over 60’s.
I have therefore a passion for all things French and my original question was perhaps too lightly phrased.
I should perhaps add that I feel little or no allegiance to the UK having lived abroad pretty much all the time since 1979, genuinely love, admire and am proud of France and was hoping maybe to get some feedback from someone who has taken this step.

1 Like

If you have lived, worked and paid taxes in France for the past 15 years what are you worrying about? France is your home, It’s where you work and pay your taxes and you have residency rights. You are lucky, whatever happens with Brexit will influence you and your life much less than it might affect some relative newcomers, especially those who have been a bit lax in deciding exactly where they have actually been resident over the years.

Damian, I attach a link to the French law regarding immigrants. You will see that as you have been legally resident for more than 10 years you will be allowed to stay in France. Brexit or no Brexit this will not change.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006070158&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006335180&dateTexte=&categorieLien=cid

Okay…I do appreciate all your advice. It is something I have been pondering off and on for a while but it was never entertained as a ‘panic’ move but rather a driver towards something I have fervently considered. It could even be construed as a desire to be part of a society I admire (despite all it’s faults) having been a traveller for much of my life.
Nobody has given me a good reason why I should not apply but if it is truly just to fulfill a somewhat romantic illusion of mine then I will reflect deeply before making any move. It is at least good to have my beliefs confirmed that I am sufficiently entrenched.

1 Like

I too have been thinking about it Damian, similar situation to yourself, my only problem is Inheritance Laws, I prefer English law to apply, when I ‘turns me toes up’.

yep, that gives a different picture! I’m a year into the process and probably have a year 's wait before the decision. It’s a far “bigger thing” than a CdS which you don’t need anyway (over 10 years permanent residency) well not yet, who knows what will be decided after Brexit!

2 Likes

It’s, “The who knows” bit that’s important :wink:

2 Likes

surely its a question of EU citizenship and freedom to travel in Europe, which French citizenship will give you.
I am doing the same thing, CdS for immediate (next 24 month) needs, and applying for French Citizenship though marriage.

3 Likes

Very important point Philip which happens to be anorher reason I am considering the challenge. I would not like my life to be restrained by nationality. For holidays it would simply mean the inconvenience of a visa or queue for a stamp but if I wanted to go and enjoy the sun in Crete or elsewhere for a couple of years I presumably will have a problem as a Brit?

3 Likes

Do you really foresee a problem for tourists travelling through Europe on a British passport?

Surely being married to a French citizen makes your situation not at all similar to Damian’s. On your other point, if Madame Morgan pops off first then the french inheritance laws will apply - however if you have written a will under the current inheritance laws you can elect for the UK system to apply if you decide to drop anchor first. Once you have obtained French citizenship l assume the French inheritance laws will apply to you as well Bill. We are in the same sutuation and l must say it is quite a dilemma.

As I said, Dan, it’s the inheritance laws that put me off, I have not heard of any definitive example of English, UK law being successfully applied, and think that would be much less likely, if I was awarded French citizenship.
I assumed when Damien said he married here, it was to a French Citizen, could be wrong.
Madam is almost 30yrs younger, so I hope sincerly, She will outlive me comfortably. :+1:

No - not for touring but for living (and working) I do.

1 Like

Actually Bill I married a girl from Guernsey so she can’t help me.:joy:

1 Like

Rowlocks Damian! Never mind, I bet She’s a lovely Lass :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like