Which way to interpret the optics

They’re all sick… you just have to look at their policies :wink:

5 Likes

@SuePJ you make some very good points, and it reminded me of a very good friend who was what I would term very slim, but then due to an onset of a specific medical condition, was then put on a course of steroids. The transformation was incredible and really very sad to see as I would say that their character changed hugely, with confidence taking a big hit and generally just feeling very uncomfortable. Personally, I think that changed my perception towards anyone overweight, as you really don’t know what their story is, and after seeing how my friend was impacted, through no fault of her own, I did think that this could happen to anyone.

So I very much think that folks do need to better understand the reasons why someone may be the shape they are, rather than jumping to rather hasty conclusions. But having said all that, society is what it is and rightly or wrongly it is very much driven by judgement in one way or another in my opinion. And for this reason, I personally think there will be many that will question her authority and credibility to be setting direction for health when she herself may not have made particularly healthy life choices. On a personal level, if I am wanting advice, coaching, direction etc from someone…, then I would certainly be more attentive to someone that more closely represented what I was aiming to achieve, versus the polar opposite. A very interesting question posed by @DrMarkH

4 Likes

I agree, hopefully she can have the benefit of said position to improve on things and then realise that others could also benefit.
If she was in rude health and fit as a fiddle she may not see the same in others.

3 Likes

not good for a health sec to be overweight! but ok for the ex prime minister to be a fat slob.Dual standard because health sec is a woman?

2 Likes

And likewise I have a dear friend who weighs in around 50kg and size 6, who has eyes follow her where ever she walks. She’s that size because of health issues too, and not simply a gym bunny.

It’s too easy to judge on the outside.

3 Likes

I’ll continue to ‘interpret the optics’ by observing what she says and how she behaves rather than her appearance.

Although I must say that however I judge her, she seems like a deeply unpleasant sort.

1 Like

Yes - I’m with you on this one Brian.
Far be it from me to defend a Tory - but it does occur to me that that photo, complete with the fat cigar allusion to every cartoon tycoon, may have seemed funny at the time…

I’d certainly be thinking twice about taking any direction from her health wise - not an ideal advert

1 Like

She’s a public figure and the public face of the government’s health programme. In a different ministry her physical condition wouldn’t be an issue, but in her present role it’s potentially problematic. Similarly, if radio was still the primary broadcasting medium this might not be an issue. However, in a predominantly visual media environment, how can she be a convincing proponent of government health policies? In other words; even with her best intentions it’s difficult to see how she can do ‘her job properly.’

1 Like

.What you seem to be saying is that your shapes dictates what job you do.
We have been picking leaders by what they look like on tv for a while and look where that has brought us pretty faces with sod all substance.

2 Likes

Boris pretty?

1 Like

I don’t agree. I don’t know the reasons for her obesity but if you see it as a health condition (which it may well be) then it is no different than a health minister having arthritis for example. Would you be saying the same thing with other health concerns?

So I had a chat with my mum about Maggie de Block, and she was incredibly popular throughout Belgium as a health minister, in both the Walloon and Flemish regions. She had been extremely popular as a GP as well.

She was obviously qualified but also had the gift of the gab and knew how to communicate well with people. After Covid apparently she did lose quite a bit of popularity as there were criticisms of her approach. But to answer your question, being a health minister is going to be more than just looking the part, whatever that may be.

None of this btw is a defence of course of the current appalling government in the UK. They appear to be selected on just how incompetent they can be.

2 Likes

I wonder if a minister can be effective if they are not sympathetic to the objects of a particular department? As an extreme example, could a pacifist head up the Ministry of Defence?
I think it is entirely possible for her to be an effective manager of her department. But that does not make her an appropriate head for this (highly sensitive) department.
OH told me there have been cartoons around of her smoking a cigar for some time. I didn’t believe it. Hence my posting the photo of her smoking and drinking (with drink spilt down her front). This has nothing to do now with how she does or does not look. This is a woman who has no concern for her own health, so how can she lead from the front when it comes to implementing health strategies across the country? ie don’t do as I do, do as I tell you. I’d rather have a Minister of Health who walks the talk.

4 Likes

I think there can at least be one certainty…
anyone caught snogging her behind the door to her office on camera has to be seriously questioned as to their sanity :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Flocreen

39m

.What you seem to be saying is that your shapes dictates what job you do.

I don’t 'seem to be saying’anything of the kind!

I suggested that, ’ In a different ministry her physical condition wouldn’t be an issue, but in her present role it’s potentially problematic. ’ That’s very different.

3 Likes

Run away :grimacing:

3 Likes

Hmmm, I think that Arts and Culture ministers are usually chosen for their lack of engagement with the ministry’s remit. Was Norman St John Stevas (1973-4) the last one who could have been described as knowledgeable?

1 Like

l rther suspect she will go the libertarian route, making no suggestions. Pity, she’ll possibly make no attempt to reduce the demand on the health service. I’m surprised/interested that no-ne has mentioned that she smokes cigars.

Note that Dr Mark wrote ‘someone who looks as though they have neglected their health’.

‘Facts’ are not required here. Simply an assessment by anyone who knows what an obese person looks like and, as in this case, is justified in that assessment. I was not weighed when I was admitted to hospital a couple of years ago but I saw my description as ‘obese Caucasian male’ [this was in the USA]. And I am indeed overweight.

As elephants go, not much of one.

1 Like