Why can we not vote!

Please explain. Who are they and why will they be knocking in my door?

Emmmm Jane - shall we just re-read that…:wink:

3 Likes

I’m talking about 20 something year olds…and yes they have their own vote but are so horrified that their futures are being constrained by old people that I make an effort not too.

Well they won’t be wearing election rosettes.
They will be the people who do not like your point of view and take their own measures against others.

David the whole point of my post was to inform the expat community was it happening at Westminster. You may not feel particularly affected by these developments, but some of us feel a sufficient attachment to the UK to support the valiant efforts of people like Harry Shindler who for years have campaigned for people like you and me to be given the choice to vote if we wanted to irrespective of any “financial ties”. You live in France and I suppose that you are presumably aware of the degree of representation which French expats enjoy - they even have their own dedicated MPs. Our politicians would do well to think outside their little box and observe how things are done in other countries and not just the EU. This not so much about Brexit as about having the possibility to vote or to decide, like you, to refrain from doing so for whatever reason.

1 Like

My post from yesterday about this subject with a summary of the debate by The Connexion.

Bob, as I wrote I wish you and the others who want this legislation to go through good luck. All I’ve said is it is not important to me. That’s not a crime.

Thank you Mandy. I hadn’t seen your post (sorry) but the conclusions about the debate make very interesting reading.

1 Like

I had an e-mail from Brian Cave.

1 Like

I’m following this because I want to retain my vote. I have been in France nearly 11 years so the 15 year deadline is not that far away for me. I still have lots of family and friends in the UK and I intend to return at some point in the future.

1 Like

Who is Brian Cave ?

This is his blog,

1 Like

Carry on reading Simon. To be an immigrant you have to go through an interview and paperwork, neither of which any of us from UK have done.
We have an automatic right to be here.

Jane - you need to re-read what you wrote. Have a lovely evening :slight_smile:

I think Brian Cave who has run this blog is now one of the founder members of ECREU.
It is free to join and you will be kept up to date on all matters affecting those of us who used to live in UK.
ECREU covers WFP, Brexit and votes for those who have lived for more than fifteen years out of UK.

Er, immigrant.

I still want to know who is going to come knocking on my door.

No Jane - you wrote:

Never mind - I was simply trying to highlight the contradiction.

2 Likes

I’ve read the Link… but am wondering why he talks about “France & Europe”…as separate entities.

Is there something I’ve missed… something happening between France and Europe… like Brexit between Britain & Europe ??

Just a minor news item that we’ve all missed…