Why, if you live in France, did you vote for Brexit?

Totally agree Paul- Macron is pushing for all the taxes to go to a central EU fund then be allocated to each country - can you ever see the French accepting that.

1 Like

I know but it’s you who is trying to make 2+2=5.

Great point Barrie however, do you think most domestic users would be happy to pay the extra cost you mention? I wouldn’t, I simply can’t afford it.

I understand that, and I’m in the same situation, a lot worse off living in France , I survive but don’t live.
I think the point is should Europe give in to putin and buy oil/ gas when he’s invaded a country and shot down a passenger plane. For me I don’t, as then he knows he could invade another like Latvia, Lithuania and no body will stop him.
So the higher price of fuel is the price we have to pay.
I’m sure we have gone off topic lol

If you really are worse off living in France what’s the attraction for staying? Personally I enjoy a much higher quality of life here than I could in the U.K. with the same income. The climate, pace of life, friendly neighbours, beautiful countryside, great food and quiet roads all come free.

2 Likes

I’m not sure your line if work, but as a general handyman paying 23% cotisations I’m earning under the smic.
The benefits here and reason I stay, French girlfriend , weather and good cycling,

Not all bad then.

2 Likes

OK Barrie - I use Mint Energie for my home electricity. I do what I can, plant some trees along the way and can only hope it’s got nothing to do with Putin!

That’s great, not enough trees are getting planted.
Germany signed a 10 million contract about 2 months ago for a second pipeline from Russia bypassing the Ukraine.
Only Trump condemned them.

hahahaha I am sorry for you Barry, but your comment made me laugh. Nothing nasty or sarcastic, but it is just so true. Women, sun and cycling. Not that bad !

1 Like

I work and pay a shit load of tax. I also get an enormous lot back in return in terms of free education for my kids, healthcare, infrastructure bla bla bla.
Those pothole free roads (have you driven in the UK lately?!) That you enjoy cycling on don’t come for free!!

5 Likes

Makes my blood boil…:rage: Imagine being one of those UK immigrants who lives in France and voted for Brexit who now has to apply for ‘settled status’ in France. I’d call it Karma…

https://www.facebook.com/323696678669/posts/10157061195453670/?app=fbl

The one we know just doesn’t seem to bother.
He just says it will be alright in the end.
Well, it was, the end of our friendship.
Pity he has a lovely, long suffering wife.

2 Likes

Topic still open

It’s interesting that a majority of people on this thread are talking about what the UK gives up or is losing yet rarely if ever give any clear examples AND completely ignore the money and advantages gained.

Then there’s this fantasy of having your cake and eating it too. All the benefits but none of the participating. That’s not an option and when the UK gets frozen out of the EU including academic and research funding and grants… the hangover is going to be hard.

I read one example of a guy mad because he can’t flip boats until he waits 5 years or gets a special license…fml

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Please will your amend your Registration to show your First and Last Name.

If you are not sure how to do this, simply put your details here, on this thread, and I will amend it for you.

Cheers

1 Like

As an example of the benefits or otherwise of Brexit, I submit that boat-flipping is perhaps a little, er…obscure, esoteric or outright flipping dangerous.

Can you throw some light on it, if that’s the right expression? Perhaps throwing a life-line or buoyancy aid after it might be more to the point :thinking::upside_down_face::slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flip%20a%20boat?

I think that the things being given up or lost that people are discussing are precisely the advantages and money gained by being members of the EU. We have actually talked (specifically)about the above, and Erasmus etc; people are probably less parochial here than you might think.

The name you are using is interesting, is it an anagram?

Lol actually when you flip something it’s an expression of selling. For example, people who buy dilapidated houses at low prices, fix them up then sell them would be flipping houses.