Why is Alcohol a necessary grocery item?

Since confinement in March 12 I have noticed an increased floor space for Alcohol in grocery stores. I find this development disturbing because of the social (domestic violence, drunk drivers) and health ( liver problems) consequences. Are the politicians trying to make the population drown their opposition and frustration in alcohol? Last time I saw a man buying a bottle of Bourbon at 15oo in the afternoon, wthout any other groceries.

Some folks like a drink, most are sensible and self limiting.
Isolation and confinement has been hard for many, the odd drink in the evening has probably helped their anxiety levels.

6 Likes

Delighted to see chocolate is considered a necessary item. :grin:

6 Likes

And so are crisps and nuts, to munch on when you have beer, wine and whiskey. Makes lockdown/life just a bit more bearable :blush:

4 Likes

If books aren’t essential how come alcohol/wine/beer are?

At the end of the day confinement is not a punishment. Yes there are issues with increased alcohol consumption but increasing the amount of selling space in shops doesn’t force people to drink more ,most can self moderate.As previously stated it’s a miserable time for people, a mood booster is welcome
The shops may well be selling more but bars ,restaurants etc will be selling less so the consumption per head is probably little different. Jean Claude will be having his apero at home rather than out

2 Likes

Look, its was for a friend, ok? :innocent:

4 Likes

If you were in lock down with a teenager and a 5 year old you’d understand :rofl:

5 Likes

If you were in lockdown with my missus you’d understand even more😂

5 Likes

Why is Alcohol a necessary grocery item?

Because we’re in France?

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Joking aside, obviously alcohol can be terrible for peoples health and for those around them but for others they can have a drink with no problems and as someone said it is a wind down at the end of the day.

1 Like

Do you know Katie Kirby’s Hurrah for Gin cartoons Tory?

3 Likes

Just one of life’s simple pleasures :wink:

6 Likes

We are adults and it is perfectly legal to consume alcohol (sachez consommer avec moderation).

4 Likes

This is a intermarché drive order being pack buy the staff I thought it was funny

6 Likes

Party time :laughing:

1 Like

I remember reading that during the last lockdown in South Africa, they banned sales of alcohol & tobacco. I think if that happened in Europe a revolution would happen.

Cakes, biscuits, everything stuffed with trans fats, chemical and processed sugars. All very bad too and possibly as bad as alcohol when consumed to excess. After all obesity is a big risk factor for covid so perhaps all that should closed off too…? You have to allow people to make their own decisions, good or bad

5 Likes

I work with a lady from South Africa and they did close shops selling tobacco and alcohol, she couldn’t understand why people here were moaning

2 Likes

Yes they did. Government corruption is why. So yeah, we should count ourselves lucky!