Why is Alcohol a necessary grocery item?

The problem with that is the black market is going to boom criminal organizations are going to steep in smuggling cigarettes and alcohol Prohibition is not a good thing plus the tax revenue to government is big on cigarettes and alcohol especially now when governments need every money the can get covid is costly

I am locked in with a 5 month old German Shepherd puppy, but I still do not make alcohol part of my life!

1 Like

For one I should imagine the German Shepherd doesnā€™t answer back and for two, as my mother used to say, if you donā€™t have anything nice to say, then donā€™t say anything.

Point 2 is not being made in jest and is not being solely directed at you but it seems a good moment to stress the following point.

We are just embarking on what is going to be a long and stressful period for everyone. SF is meant to be a ā€˜niceā€™ and safe place to post. Anyone who detracts from that is going to get binned.

5 Likes

The thing is you may not make alcohol part of your life,that is your choice,but that doesnā€™t mean that you can condemn those that do drink most of whom will be sensible about it The man with the bourbon in his trolley his OH might have done the food shopping,it may have been a present,his food cupboards may have been bursting .It is not for us to question or condemn

5 Likes

You can drink them, and also read the label.

There would be rioting if alcohol sales were banned.

5 Likes

Well that is your choice but other people do choose to ā€˜make alcohol part of their livesā€™ and your tone feels rather that you feel you are somehow holier than thou for making that choice. I donā€™t judge you, please dontā€™ judge me.

Absolutely, for most French it is unthought of to not have a glass of wine with meals and a lot would regularly have an apero before dinner as well. It is so deeply entwined in the culture here that it in my eyes is a cultural necessary that foreigners perhaps donā€™t even understand.

6 Likes

I had to laugh the first time I went into hospital in France - they went through the usual ā€˜lifestyleā€™ questionairre, including the question on drinking - when I answered ā€˜usually only with mealsā€™ they didnā€™t even bother to write anything down!
I later discovered, of course, that you can order wine with your hospital meals. Only in France!

and when I used to teach here we had the choice of red wine or cider, as much as we wanted, with our three course lunch in the staff canteen :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

I believe the children were served wine with school dinners right up until the 1960s!

2 Likes

A glass of sherry was often given ā€˜medicallyā€™ to the elderly in nursing homes in the UK to stimulate appetiteā€¦ and the school I went to had a bar for over 16ā€™s but the girls were only allowed to drink port ot sherry. And of course its far easier to get drunk on port than beer so that made no sense to me.

Yes, it does . I always get the ā€œmunchiesā€ after Iā€™ve been drinking. :yum:

4 Likes

When my eldest was teething (sheā€™s 25) my GP told me to rub sherry on her gums.

A friend of mine who had a brief hospital stay with a suspected heart condition was routinely given a glass of red with lunch and dinner. I witnessed this myself! Apparently, this is perfectly normal on cardiac wards in France.
Izzy x

2 Likes

A glass of wine, some decent chocolate and a real fire - close the curtains and forget all the nasty stuff going on. The only problem is the US election - canā€™t resist a peek at the latest votes. Looks like one thing is going the right way this year.

3 Likes

Blimey teething at 25, I need a drink :grinning:

12 Likes

When in for a minor op in a BUPA hospital before moving out here I was given a wine list along with my evening meal choices.

1 Like

A day without wine is like a day without sunshine!

5 Likes

A day without beer is decidedly queer.

4 Likes

Alcohol isnā€™t just for drinkingā€¦

years agoā€¦ a neighbour ā€œborrowedā€ a bottle of brandy so his wife could make ā€œle puddingā€.

We never saw that bottle againā€¦ but we do get a share of the delicious dessert, on a regular basis ā€¦ :hugs: