Why we must support Brexit

I would imagine there will be some sort of revolution if it does not happen. All that hate for all things European, German and French is not going to just sit back and accept remaining.

I would still rather that than going forward with Brexit.

It should be remembered not everybody has extreme ā€œmilitantā€ views.

2 Likes

Britain is already divided and itā€™s getting more and more ugly. Not sure it would make much difference especially if any new vote was more decisive.

Anyway, itā€™s got be better than financial ruin, decades in the economic wilderness, the enormous disruption to millions of lives and the splitting up of the UK.

The direction the UK is heading in now is utter madness.

3 Likes

I am wondering what cars all those people are driving if they loathe all things European, German and French.

1 Like

As a remainer I see no justification for changing my mind even though nothing has yet been agreed. The negative results of any sort of Brexit are already being shown on an almost daily basis. At both ends of the food chain the pain of Brexit is obvious now. Reality, not conjecture or ā€œwhat ifsā€.

1 Like

I suppose technically the negative results are on the basis of peopleā€™s negative perception of what form Brexit may take as nothing has yet been agreed

We are suffering on the basis of peopleā€™s (correct or incorrect) perception of Brexit due to 12% drop in Ā£/Euro - when looking to spend several hundred thousand euros on a house that 12% drop is quite significant.

My point being is that we donā€™t know what the effects of Brexit would be.

1 Like

The other day at work a Portuguese colleague was delighted to have received her right to remain in the UK and work. I commented on Brexit and another colleague wanted to know what that was ! I think because most of us are deeply invested in remaining and thereā€™s another group strongly wanting to leave itā€™s easy to loose track of the fact that a lot of people really just arenā€™t that bothered. I probably see this more living and working in the UK
I also find that there is a tendency among remainders to dismiss leavers as 'stupid ā€™ and an implication they are of lower socioeconomic standing. However I havenā€™t found this to be the case. I know some very intelligent, very well travelled people who wouldnā€™t fall for the BS who voted to leave. What I have seen is an age difference

1 Like

I have seen people being interviewed who said they voted to leave because:

I voted against the Tories
I hate David Cameron
I never thought we would actually leave
I wanted to remain but wanted the vote to be close because the EU needs to change
My Dad voted to remain
More money for the NHS swung it for me
To stop all those muslims coming to England (in less polite language)

I guess there are many more reasons. Some even more stupid than these.

1 Like

I know a Scotsman who voted for an Independant Scotland who did it because he presumed that there was not a chance of it actually happening. I asked him to explain and he told me that he liked the idea of being able to tell his grandchildren years in the future that he was a true Scot and had voted for his country. He went on to say that he was worried when he realised how close that vote was going to be. Iā€™m not sure where these grandchildren are going to come from either, years later heā€™s still single and still has no children let alone grandchildren.

1 Like

The day of Trumps inauguration I was out having a post Christmas lunch with colleagues from my hobby job. A male and female both ex services were basically saying 'What are the Americans playing at ā€™ Then one turned to the other and said 'Well itā€™s what the people voted for like we voted for Brexit ā€™ I was gob smacked as these were the last two I would have thought as leavers

1 Like

I have been amazed by the number of ex-servicemen and women who I know who are vocally pro leave. There are so many I began to wonder if there had been some scaremongering going on in recent years about the possibility of an EU army being formed.

1 Like

It looks likely that Labour will support a 2nd referendum. Link

This will put traditional Tory voting remainers in a very difficult position.

1 Like

It wonā€™t be clear until tomorrow exactly what the Labour conference will be voting on, Corbyn and McDonnell would prefer a GE and still press ahead with Brexit however it does offer a glimmer of hope that some common sense is finally coming to the surface within Labour at least.

1 Like

I hope you got up and left.

Corbynā€™s hardly enthusiastic though, is he?

I agree we havenā€™t seen the negative effects of Brexit since we havenā€™t left yet - but the mind-bendingly incompetent execution of the negotiations surrounding Brexit are having tangible negative consequences.

2 Likes

Having only just come from the U.K. to settle in France Iā€™m afraid a lot of what has been said about the current state of the U.K. is true. The damage done & the racism and hatred brought to light by the referendum are truly frightening. If nothing else it has caused division between family and friends which may never be healed . I was fortunate that my husband & my son & daughter have similar views to mine. We are all of the view , as was my late dad who fought in WWII , that If nothing else , peace has reigned in Europe for the past 40 years. The U.K. hasnā€™t fared badly in the EU and it has brought many benefits and reforms which have benefited it. What the referendum exposed however is a nasty underbelly of far right thinking within the U.K. I still find it difficult to speak to my sister, who voted leave and still rants about the ills of the U.K. - decline of the NHS, public services , etc etc being down to too many immigrants etc etc . Those who believe the U.K. can ā€œgo back to the way it wasā€ are delusional. I lived through the ā€œway it was ā€œ. 3 day weeks having fought my way into work through lines 4 deep on the platform to sit shivering in my coat working by gaslight thanks to the minerā€™s and other strikes. Daily bomb alerts - a messenger where I started work lost his hands to a parcel bomb. My dad was often heard saying ā€œif it ainā€™t broke , donā€™t fix itā€. Bit like being in the EU .The wheels hadnā€™t fallen off, in the main people were better off than theyā€™d ever been & surely if there is something not right then you talk about it and try to fix it or is that outmoded these days too? As for it being a democratic process I think this by Ian Hislop nails it better than anything I could say

9 Likes

After having read all the posts and feeling totally uninspired Vanessa has at last come up with some common sense and the Ian Hislop piece just about sums it up for me.

3 Likes

This is from 30 or so years ago & the UK was in the EEC / EU. How times have changed. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you Elaine for proving to me that there is another person on this forum that still has patriotic feelings for the UK and does not ā€˜bashā€™ it for the sake of. I am appalled sometimes at the harshness and hate for the Brits by their own countrymen/women. Words used like racism, xenophobia and fascism are bandied about and used very often incorrectly creating further unrest. There are always those that are out to make mischief but bashing Britain does nothing for those that have to live there.

I get very angry with all this Brit bashing but even more so with the very rude and unjust comments made against those that voted to leave. Many remainers seem to think they are superior to others and there way is right but most Brits had a vote and they voted how they wanted in a free democratic way, therefore it is not up to others to bash them with nasty comments.

Britain is still a nice country to live in as is France and the rest of the EU but every country has their moans about the governments, foreigners, immigrants etc but we all have to live somewhere and preferably in harmony.