Why we must support Brexit

Let us hope his bark is worse than his bite Tony, could be a bit eye watering :scream::rofl:

2 Likes

I shall say this only onceā€¦ā€˜Negotiationsā€¦What negotiations ?ā€™

I agree, Elaineā€¦You are not aloneā€¦so donā€™t be driven awayā€¦

I would guess that we expats have no value to the UKgovernment now that we have departed.
The french however that live in the UK contribute by paying taxes and spending their income there.
The UK gov have no interest in us as we contribute to a EU country.

Not that simple as a huge number of Britons resident in the EU still pay taxes in the U.K. on their income from Government pensions, rentals and other money still taxed in the U.K. Just because a government has recognised that it will have to reassure the EU workers that it needs to keep after Brexit does not mean that they have decided to ignore the rights of their citizens who reside in Europe.

1 Like

They are keeping very quiet about it though.
They must have some idea of how much uncertainty and real worry it is causing to elderly UK citizens who now have to protect themselves so that they can legally stay in their own homes.
The negotiations and the bickering within the Cabinet can only be described as a dogā€™s dinner.

1 Like

Oh what would it be like to be rich?

Please donā€™t quote snippets out of context.

1 Like

My prerogative. to make a point

What is your point Barry ?

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a reason but I canā€™t see it.

2 Likes

What does ā€˜richā€™ mean to you Barry?

You do not have the right to imply that I said something that I did not say. If you had plagiarised my post and copied the words, fair enough but your post was a quote and makes it appear that I posted false information.
We know your income, youā€™ve shared it with us and I know several people who would consider you, if not rich, comfortably off. If you donā€™t pay tax in the UK, lucky you, some of us have to under the details set out in the Anglo-French tax treaty.

Absolutely Jude and thank you. My sister is waking up to how complex leaving the EU is but she will never admit sheā€™s changed her mind . She has started to moan about the decline of Ā£ and the lack of progress but as usual with leavers blames that on the intractability of the other 27 member states or Barnier in particular. In the unraveling chaos of the past 2+ years the UKā€™s politicians have done untold damage to the UKā€™s credibility on the world stage too. It saddens me that I read recently of a journalist who interviewed 10 ambassadors for EU countries. All said the same thing. Whatever the outcome of Brexit the U.K. used to be viewed by the world as having (excuse the plagiarism although one has to wonder who used it first) a strong and stable political base. The fiasco of Brexit has highlighted that is no longer the case and the report cited some officials likening U.K. politicians to schoolchildren squabbling in the playground . Another idiom comes to my mind ā€œfiddling while Rome burnsā€.

:rofl:

Not quite sure how to answer, I just made a comment that it would be nice to be rich.
There is no chance for us, except when the mortgage is paid in 2023, I will be 83.
Sorry if I ruffled anyone David, that wasnt the intention, we always feel lower class because our incomes are low compared.
Perhaps I am getting fed up with being crapped on by french and english. Barry

2 Likes

If youā€™re really serious about following ā€œdevelopments ā€œ you can sign up to receive the latest updates from the Department for Exiting the EU on Gov.uk which I did right from the outset as we were in the throes of buying a house here so had a vested interest in developments. Say what you like but having lived through the past 2+ years IN the U.K. I can honestly say itā€™s been a most awful time. Try as I might I could not avoid being faced with conflicting Brexit news on a daily basis. It is literally ALL over the news channels , the papers and online wherever you look. Those who accuse me of ā€œescaping ā€œ it by coming here are probably right in a way but I cannot escape its effects or possible consequences. A no deal Brexit could see me stateless and homeless - the latter for the second time in my life and I barely survived the first time.
Going back to my original point , if you sign up to the Govt updates you get an email with a link to the discussions , papers , costs etc. Some of it is illuminating most of it is waffle. The recently issued report of Mayā€™s meeting with Guy Verhofstadt for example was absolutely pointless . Basically just said May had met with Guy !! Other info is more illuminating. The DFexEU has to report any expenditure in excess of Ā£25k from the public purse. Unfortunately amounts under Ā£25k arenā€™t reportable. Some of the amounts are eye watering and are mostly for private consultantsā€¦The figures also do not include the cost of recruiting or reassigning additional civil servants . This is listed separately and only gives the grades of the staff although their salaries are in the public domain so with some digging it is possible to work that out too. The amounts spent so far far outweigh the costs of being in the EU quite apart from the damage done to the U.K. economy , sterling and the UKā€™s credibility on the world stage. One letter seeking permission to spend Ā£10m on investigating a scheme to replace the permits system required by freight crossing into the EU had additional estimated costs of Ā£35m. Thatā€™s just ONE of the thousands of threads that link the U.K. into the EU. As a footnote I also signed up to Europa.eu. Far more on the ball. Much more professional - there is a document for each strand of the EUā€™s legislation affected by Brexit citing the individual law or SI and the precise effect of the U.K. no longer being tied to it. Itā€™s document on the rights of U.K. citizens in the EU if there is no deal makes for very difficult reading .

1 Like

Watching the Commons Brexit Select Committee is quite amusing at times. Some of the earlier sessions with Davis and Wooster-Mogg blowing kisses at one another was cringemakingly funny and the incredulous expressions of chairman Hilary Benn are worthy of George Parrā€¦

Good for you Vanessa.
I keep up to date via several pressure groups.
It is absolutely amazing that so many UK citizens are being left out in the cold.
Can you imagine the uproar that would follow if the same amount of people actually living in UK were to be treated as ourselves.
The amount of money being spent on leaving is horrendous and, not surprisingly, not well publicised.
I hope your forthcoming move goes well.
We have never been made so welcome anywhere we have lived as here in the Clunysois.

1 Like