Why we must support Brexit

They don’t exist now, but things change. It is all theoretical for me anyway, as a French person.

2 Likes

In this day & age where it seems that an unsubstantiated claim from one person can virtually destroy another’s life, I wonder if claiming that Teresa May inappropiately touched me 30 years ago would bring on a general election? She didn’t, but that shouldn’t matter!

4 Likes

That did make me chuckle - I am not sure anyone else could do a better job right now trying to appease 2 warring parties with completely opposite views.

![referendum%20bill|347x500](upload://uQOBzFt2reLpzZkCvR8u96YF7AI.jpeg)

The EU do not have to compromise. When will people realise the EU have nothing to compromise about. It is GB that wishes to leave. They have not made us leave, they have not thrown us out and if they had any sense they would make us pay what we owe and simply say “goodbye”.

3 Likes

Exactly Norah. We are leaving the club.
We agreed our membership fees and it does our reputation no good at all if we try to renege on our dues.

2 Likes

Whilst I accept that the EU doesn’t have to compromise it is not in the interest of the 27 remaining countries to have a ‘no deal’ Brexit so there has to be some sort of negotiated agreement.

Why is it not in their interest?
I keep hearing about how much Europe needs to sell goods to the UK & will not want to lose a market worth millions.
This rather weak argument supposes that all exports to the UK will cease completely whereas in reality when free trade finishes import duty will be reintroduced. It just means that the goods from the EU will cost the UK more to buy. This might result in a fall in demand but it does not mean that these products will be unavailable.
It would also mean that products from the UK would also cost more here.
This means that my baked beans would cost more - catastrophe!

1 Like

I don’t understand the way people insist that the EU must compromise in a way that suggests that they have not done so. They will already have made many compromises to reach this point as will the U.K. The EU has however made it clear that there are red lines, points that they cannot compromise on and, like it or not, Britain has to accept that. The press will continue to insist that the EU is being unreasonable when in fact all they are doing is sticking by their basic principles. The principles that the UK was well aware of when they joined the club.

4 Likes

Simple question - what have the EU to gain by not having a deal?

1 Like

It could be considered “cutting your nose off…” but if EU were to offer UK a very good deal it may encourage other countries considering leaving to lean further towards leaving.

2 Likes

Hi Mark!

You can make your own “57 varieties-style” baked beans by adding two heaped dessert spoons of caster sugar to a small tin of haricots blancs, then mixing in half a cupful of tomato ketchup available from most supermarchés. Place in a casserole over a low heat and bring to the desired temperature, stirring occasionally to ensure that the pallid anaemic-looking foreign beans take on that inimitable healthy ‘Trumpian-orange’ complexion.

Hide the empty tin from view and/or wear sunglasses to enjoy your “British Beans” on toasted white-sliced bread for that cosy “Home Sweet Home” experience! :bread::house_with_garden::hugs:

3 Likes

And a dash of worcestershire sauce as well.

2 Likes

This is interesting if a little bleak and worrying:

The article makes some interesting points.

GDP would fall 5.5% by 2021 before growth returns at a low rate.
Unemployment would rise from 4% to 7.4% in the same period.
Inflation, partly caused by a projected 15% fall sterling in the first year, would peak at 4.7%.
House prices would fall 10% by 2020.
London office prices would slump by a fifth over two to three years.
And the UK’s debt-to-GDP ratio would rise from a current level of 85% towards 100%.

It also states Sterling has already fallen by 18%.

1 Like

I totally agree with the OP! Support!

Is common sense about to break out?

1 Like

The text does not say anything new. The suggestions made are suggestions that will be rejected by many people in the Conservative party, most leave voters and the whole of the DUP.

1 Like
3 Likes

John Major says that if there a hard Brexit that history will villify the extreme right, which is probably true.
What I want to know how can these people proceed when we now know just what a con job the Referendum actually was?

1 Like