Why we must support Brexit

I have no idea how old most of you are but I’m sixty, and as far as I can remember, cuts started in the seventies and have continued ever since. Nothing to do with banking crashes, austerity, all to do with inept governance, lack of foresight, forward planning and the Tory obsession that tax cuts means vote’s. You can’t have it if you don’t pay for. The French have it and they do indeed pay for it. At the moment the UK’s national debt is increasing at £5,400 a second, 42 billion last year in interest alone. Good job interest rates are low and the UK has a decent credit rating or they would be in a worse state than Venezuela.

This is interesting viewing: https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/breakdown

It suggests that UK spends half of all money on looking after people (Pensions, NHS and Welfare) - it shows that there is limited opportunity with what is left to make any serious investment.

It would appear that it costs 7% of all money spent to cover the interest of prior debt.

Can anyone imagine running a household in this way?

@Mat_Davies I went mad with my M&S charge-card one Christmas… it took me 2 years to pay it all off …and I have never used a charge-card or credit-card since…:zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Membership of the EU is untenable for Britain on present terms. Britain runs a large and constant current account deficit with the EU and depends on the kindness of strangers to lend Britain the funds to cover that deficit. Eventually the deficits lead to devaluation of the Pound. Brexit did not cause the latest devaluation, that was coming down the pike anyway.
Britain cannot compete with Germany, just like many European countries. Pity but there you go. One might say Britain needs tariffs on Audis.
Britain’s major strength is the City, finance and services. But there is no free movement in services only goods. Never has been nor ever likely.
Half of UK foreign trade is global and is rising as share of EU is falling. The UK deficit on the global trade is far smaller than the EU. The prospects of growth in Asia Pacific are far higher than the EU.
The EU is very protectionist and the common external tariff means that food prices are higher than they need be for Britain. Another added cost Britain does not need.
So Britain hands over a large amount of its tax income to the EU for the privilege of paying more for its food and for them selling more stuff to Britain than we sell to them. Arguing that that is Britain’s fault does not change these realities.

6 Likes

Well that’s a lot of false information all together in one posting. Did it get copied and pasted from a UKIP leaflet?

3 Likes

Germany pays the most in to the EU which is fair. Free movement of services? One only needs a lap top & a plane ticket to set up financial services in another european country. Banks are international & insurance groups set up separate companies in any country they choose (Axa for example). To say that there is no free movement of financial services does not ring true.

This appeared in the Evening Standard in January last year “JP Morgan bosses are touring Germany and Poland looking to relocate 2,500 staff, while Morgan Stanley has identified 1,000 sales, trading and legal jobs that could go. HSBC indicated it would transfer about 1,000 trading staff from London to its Paris base on the Champs-Élysées in two years’ time. The chairman of UBS, Axel Weber, said around 1,000 of the Swiss bank’s London employees would be affected by Brexit. Goldman, whose very visible commitment to the capital is taking shape on Farringdon Street, played down reports that half its London workforce was on the move. A final decision is still to be made, but it could send 1,000 jobs to Frankfurt to continue servicing EU clients. As JPMorgan Chase supremo Jamie Dimon said: “It looks like there will be more job movement than we hoped for.” With the loss of passporting rights that let banks sell services across the EU from London, even Lloyds Banking Group, which does the majority of its business in the UK, will need to set up a subsidiary, probably in Frankfurt, so it can hang on to its German and Dutch retail clients.”

What does the UK actually export? Of the UK foreign trade, who is buying it because you say that it not the EU?
And paying more for food? The UK gets much of its fresh produce from Europe & it gets imported without any import taxes at the moment but that will change when the free trade status stops & lorries will have to clear customs.

And as for

yay “us immigrants”

Well said and some stuff i can see others I cannot.

Many of us have relatives who cannot just up and leave the UK and who are going to be badly affected by the entire brexit issue some voted leave others voted stay, that was their choice

While things are still up in the air and nothing decided I am left thinking to myself. In 2 years time while i’m married to a french woman and have a business here, a great deal of our clients are from other parts of the EU, some refer to themselves as just travellers, immigrants or ex pats they are in effect all here under the EU banner.

Its a shame that Mark is so for the UK leaving the EU as he needs to look at many other countries within the EU that are jsut as bad as england. Politicians for example, god in poland they resort to fisticuffs on a daily basis, same for many other EU countries.

There is so much right with what he says yet so much wrong also.

Sorry btw @David_Naylor my english written is crap also, so bad in fact I was once accused on another forum who name I shall not mention (anglo) that and these are the words written i saved them.

“Your spelling is the reason the world has gone to S**t” It went on but suffice to say it was more of the same.

Political correctness has gone seriously wrong. my kids in infant school were singing baba rainbow sheep as black sheep was considered wrong. This is not just the UK though this is all over the bloody place.

Yes read between the lines of everything and it all has a point but its also got lots of holes. Not one of us is perfect yet we choose to insult each other over spelling or the fact that your opinion do not match his or hers bla bla bla…

The world is like it is because people prefer to argue with each other than get along and work together

1 Like

@anon54681821 I haven’t commented on your spelling. You are referring to my comment to Mark Rimmer in his OP where he appears to condemn the current UK school system in relation to the competency of those studying English, he seems to be lamenting the decline in the use of the English language, ridiculing others. I made a tongue in cheek comment to him highlighting his own error. He seemed to take it in the manner it was intended.

Quite what your problem is I simply don’t know.

There was no insult made, he wasn’t offended,.

@Stella It appears you have edited my last post, I’m not sure why you accept bowdlerized words on the forum, but not the full words, do you think the adults and children that read the threads can’t make out what is meant?
A quick glance and I can see two examples from other posters.
F!!k and S!!t
Are you really happy for posters to use such language (as above) just because it is modified with a number of asterix?

Luckily the board allows those living in Scunthorpe to post their town’s name without asterisks being inserted.

1 Like

Hi David… I’ve sent you a couple of messages… have you received them ?

I now love this topic! Now I am having a house in France:-) we have just bought it :slight_smile: so … we should we (immigrants) support the Brexit!!! By simply getting all our money out of the UK to buy property, bonds, etc. In Europe :wink:

I think this Brexit sounds a very good idea. Do you think we could have a referendum on it one day? I think lots of peoole would be willing to turn up and vote. Mind you, it could be a very close thing. If a majority won for Brexit the ones who wanted to remain would be as sick as parrots. I bet someone would call them Silly Polly Parrots. Or, if they moaned about leaving, maybe even “Remoaners”! (i just made that up)

I can’t wait for my chance to vote, but I’m still unsure about what Brexit might involve.

Stuck-in-the-Past Pete :thinking:

1 Like

As all of us :slight_smile: nobody knows what Brexit will entitle. But we didn’t wait for the result: we took two main decisions 1) all family is now British and at the same time we bought our “pied à terre” in France … just in case things get really bad :slight_smile:

Because I now feel safe whatever it will happen, I can start talking! Vive le Brexit :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad that you feel safe but a large number of British citizens living in Europe feel threatened by the result as none of the knock on effects will appear to make their lives either cheaper or easier. The only people who can feel totally unaffected are those who have left the UK lock, stock and barrel, have all their income in France and have no other financial ties or pensions left in the UK. That group exists but us relatively small.

2 Likes

And that “safe” group must also have no intention of ever wanting to relocate to another European country…which makes it even smaller.

1 Like

I don’t feel better or safer, even now, before we know what this crazy situation will ‘eventually entail’, my personal income is considerably down already, with the demise of Sterling, hope you bought your “Pied à Terre” before it took ‘a dive’! :wink:
Don’t know about “really bad”, but be assured, things won’t get better, anytime soon! :thinking:

Why do you want a pied à terre in France if you are so happy about Brexit? Afterwards perhaps we in France will be making you jump through a lot more hoops and we may be taxing your pied à terre a lot more than we do at the moment.

4 Likes

Was having Din’ with friends with a holiday home here, last night.
He was voicing just those concerns, ‘how long could he spend in France after B’ day, he can see now! his visits here are costing more, what about the EU health card, may need to take out health insurance for your hol’s :thinking:

1 Like

The English-speaking conseilleur at my local bank told me today that he is advising potential home-buying Brits to think about renting in France, instead of buying into the current market.

There are dozens of houses available on long secure rentals and at very economical prices, with many gite-owners looking for long-term tenants in a declining market.

Of course, he has an interest in increasing his business turn-over, but I think he makes a strong point.

1 Like