Wild life in the garden, or around!

That looks interesting, @Stella and the legs are long like I saw, but the tail bit was dead straight like a damsel fly and the bulbous bit was a lot smaller and right at the end.

I knew there were rather a lot of insect species but I really had no idea of the range :smiley:

Mmmā€¦ I know what you meanā€¦ Iā€™ll go and check through my booksā€¦

I can see it in my minds eye and the Eni isnā€™t quite ITā€¦

The one Iā€™m thinking of looks as if itā€™s got a little blob of something stuck on its end bit

1 Like

Yes - that sounds right. When I first saw it, I thought is might be two thingies mating (my eyesight isnā€™t so hot these days :smiley: )

Thinking of which, internet searches just donā€™t replace books in my view because you can browse through books quite rapidly and the eye spots patterns, I have some bird books, flower books and butterfly books but nothing on insects a bit more generallyā€¦

1 Like

@Guy Iā€™d say ā€˜a hoverā€™ of kestrels.

@Babeth. Depends on the camera. You might be at the limit of the tech for your camera.

Exposure is a triangle of these three parameters.

If you are able to adjust the ISO [the sensitivity level of the sensor], jack that up. If you are able to adjust the shutter speed, slow that down to the slowest speed you can hand-hold and still get a sharp shot. If you can adjust the aperture, open that up.

Do a series of tests at different combos of the three adjustments. In dark conditions, minimum shutter speed will be limited mainly by your ability to hand hold without camera shake. However, cameras now can be had with ā€˜image stabilisation.ā€™

This shot of the moon the other night was at 1" exposure with the lens at 150mm. A massive crop shows the features of the moon, degraded by the clouds, but the disc still sharp. Remarkable result, thanks to the tech. Impossible without ā€˜image stabilisationā€™

19 Aug 2021 moon 550

You were disappointed by your shot of the owl on the beam in the barn. And you would like a better result from the owl on the TV aerial. Although I still say itā€™s the equipment between the ears that makes a good photograph, clearly there comes a point where hardware starts to make a difference.

I think the standard of your photography - you take cracking pictures - deserves an upgrade in camera. It may be that the camera you have has the technical ability but you have not explored its possibilties.

I can advise you or anyone else further if you like.

These things move so fast! Once hovering theyā€™re not too hard to photograph but they come and go at lightning speed.

The butterflies do not like sharing a flower with another butterfly. Most times the one in res instantly chased away the new arrival, sometimes the arrival went straight on the attack before taking sole possesion and begining to feed. Best idea - ignore each other. The butterflies and bees got along together all right.

P8221000 600

These two squared up to decide who was going to get lunch. The subsequent battle was furious.

One of the budleia blooms has been given a name ā€œThe Laughing Dogā€

3 Likes

Morning Rainbows captured in a cobwebā€¦:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Privet hawk moth caterpillar at lunch on ivy! Eat it all my friend :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Can it come round to my place? Iā€™ve lots of ivy it can chompā€¦

4 Likes

Me too - that would be one very fat caterpillar if it ate it all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If anyoneā€™s interested ā€œWilding - the Return of Nature to a British Farmā€ by Isabella Tree is available on Amazon UK just for today for 0.99p.

1 Like

My gardening has always been ā€œwildingā€ - saves weeding. :grin:

1 Like

I walked into town earlier for bread - Villefranche de Rougue and approaching the huge cathedral I could see large numbers of birds flying around the upper parts of the walls. To my absolute delight they were swallows. I walked back along the river and was surprised by how many fish were in it. Not just small ones in their thousands but foot long ones everywhere. There was a sign about black bass. Iā€™m sure they must maintain better water quality in France than in UK. Weā€™re heading for St Martin-Lagupie where Iā€™m hoping to swim though not sure what the river water temperature will be.

I was blessed to see one run into my neighbours garden just this week! One year I spent a happy hour on the terrace with a glass of wine watching one run up the walnut tree, jump into a hazel, collect a nut then back up and over the huge walnut and I presume into our tobacco barn!

Looks like an Australian Funnel Web web - scary indeed, I think with them you have about 20 minutes to get to the hospital or youā€™ve had it!

Just disturbed one of these in our wood pileā€¦

Apparently itā€™s an ORVET - not a true snake, but a legless lizard.

2 Likes

They release massive stocks of fish every spring in most regions of France, otherwise things would be pretty similar to the UK.

I didnā€™t know that Rice! How do they do it? Drive big fish tanks around the country???

Tory :tropical_fish: :tropical_fish: :tropical_fish:

The local fishing federations are generally responsible for river release. Round here (Auvergne) they tend to use pick up trucks with containers on to be able to release into the feeder streams.

AKA Slow Worm Anguis fragilis.

As to ā€œnot true snakeā€, they are not classed as snakes at all - while, technically all snakes and slow worms are lizards which have lost their legs, the snakes are a much more ancient group than the slow worms which have branched relatively recently and, anatomically, are clearly lizards - apart from the legs thing, that is.

They are protected in the UK as they are quite rare now. More common in France, though Iā€™ve never seen one.

1 Like

I saw some many years ago in Provence, then none at all until this year when we had one in the garden, but only briefly, it seems, or else it is very well hidden.