Wild weather -October /November 2018

Seen some ‘humdingers’ here and in the Med, in the UK the most impressive was in the Irish Sea south of the IoM, quite bum clenching, as the red bolts of lighteng were hitting the sea round the boat, the 60ft aluminium mast being the highest thing for many miles around. :thinking:

1 Like

perfect for us, dogs do not care about the weather apart from when it thunders too much but for the most part all is good. got garage cleared out yesterday and today work starts on the side building (the one with the big metal door next to kitchen) to turn that into a massive shelter for the dogs.

After that its turning the half the garage that was not for cars into a room as well. (did try to use it for a car but its just not possible with the dimensions to get a car in and out without it being a nightmare to park as well.

Today is rain and soggy dogs

1 Like

I’ve just had one of my daughters and her new partner visit…the weather prediction was dire but most days we had sunshine…her last night here predicted 100% storms and yet we lit a fire in between the torrential rain thunder rumbling overhead…and spent a magical couple of hours in my garden sheltered by one of my cherry trees…fire in front of us…hot sun behind us…warm light rain all around us…and to make the moments even more magical a full rainbow to our right…earth air wind fire and electromagnetic…If we had decided to give up on having a fire (her element) we would have been sat inside and never noticed the rainbow…x :slight_smile:

2 Likes

She’s in the process of getting passports for her sons (7 and 5) and was thinking of taking them to Greece in October…today before we left for the airport she’s been worrying about the 18 hour travelling time to her destination in Greece and thinking its too much for her sons’ first adventure out of uk…we found a local self catering apartment close by on Airbnb and she wants to book that instead…twenty minutes to local uk airport…just over an hour in flight time…and I get to spend time with all of them…I had car trouble this time…my old uk Volvo now registered in France developed some really not so great noises and chugging so aware that they had a return flight booked I took her in to my local garage…not good news and she’s not gonna pass her next mot in France…not looking forward one bit to trying to locate a second hand car by myself…we used google translate to tell him my meagre budget for a car…I’m so glad we did…between his “franglais” and my “franglais” he has a French Estate coming in this week for me to look at…9 years younger than mine…price comparable to same model in uk…he spent an hour under my car…repaired it temporarily to allow me to get them back to the airport…didn’t charge me a cent…just hope I can control the gearstick with a mangled right hand…! x :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really under pressure now…(I feel a queen song coming on…!) My son has just booked his flight…two weeks to view new car…purchase new car…insure new car…lol…and all of it when I am in the process of swapping French insurers on 21st…much better terms…breathe…relax…exhale…ommmmmmmm…all is perfect and perfectly done…ommmmmm…x :slight_smile:

Thanks Helen :relaxed:

You’ve just reminded me there is a car insurance to pay (despite the fact that my car has no working gearbox)… I now remember putting the paperwork in the drawer “to deal with later”… huh…

First Class stamp tomorrow… and off it will go… phew…

1 Like

We had the mother of electrical storms last night.
It was totally white this morning at 6.20 with the morning mist coming from the Saone.
The sun is burning it off quite quickly.
I have a meeting at the Maire this evening, somI do hope we are not in for a repeat performance.

Is everyone OK??

Anyone had flooding or other storm damage ??

Fine thanks Stella - hope you are too! Still building an ‘Ark’ ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Without doubt the worst weather year of my life :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

The snails are loving it… I flung about 2 dozen into next door’s garden last night…

I think you are quite right… never known anything like it… grrr

Wish you could send a reasonable amount of watter up 'ere, hasn’t rained significantly for weeks :unamused:

Hi Bill… that’s how it used to be here… OH is appalled at how quickly the grass is growing… (mowing is his area of expertise :wink:)

Very unsettled here in the Creuse, Stella. Last Wednesday was the worst day, we had a ‘river’ flowing down the road past the house! The cellar took a bit of punishment, thankfully the trusty well pump sorted it out. In my 12 years here I have never experienced weather as unsettled as this. Drying the washing is becoming quite a challenge also!!

I’m sure we are doing laundry for the whole village… OH has fitted a rail in the bathroom, over the length of the bath, so that I can hang laundry and just let it drip… :roll_eyes:

One of our creations when we converted this place/barn, is a very large atrium, very useful when indoor drying is necessary :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m not saying we’ve a lot of water everywhere… BUT… I’ve just found a colony of snails living over the top of the church doors (very high up)… found them when I started wafting the cobwebs off from up there… :open_mouth:

We’ve a village wedding Saturday… and snails are not on the menu (well, I don’t think so)… :zipper_mouth_face::wink::relaxed:

1 Like

Well, we have had a bit of very light ’ Scotch Mist’ here today, but every little helps, I suppose :wink:

1 Like

I’m trying not to think too hard about scrapping my old Volvo (sob) as I know that if I keep her on the drive then she would have to be insured and I want to avoid two lots of insurance…I’m guessing although I haven’t asked the local garage man yet…that he will know exactly what I have to do and be able to offer assistance…It’s a shame really in as much that since I registered her in France she’s had new headlights…new windscreen and window wipers…new battery…two new tyres…but she got me and my Collies here and has given me two years so I’m grateful for that…I sat in the passenger seat today and experimented with using my right hand to change gears…lol…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had a Volvo Estate in Scotland in the 80s Helen, one of my best/practical cars ever, the seats were like sitting on a park bench, but I could go to Plymouth and get out without a bad back, the super Saab I had after it, doing the same trip, I needed help to get out of the B’ thing. But for a Swedish car, it was hopeless in snow :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ve had 3 volvos now…my first one I gave to a friend who had just split up with her partner…I don’t think you can beat them for practical purposes…this one cost me £750 and engine wise will probably go forever…I’m sad about it but a left hand drive Renault Laguna Estate is on the horizon…I’m grateful also that he had an Estate due in just when I needed one…I think I’d struggle now with anything other than an Estate…x :slight_smile: