Wild weather and crazy behaviour

I refer you respectfully to my earlier response, Stella. Have you yourself never made what might have been a serious error of judgement in respect of a child?

If so, you must live a charmed life. I think there are very few parents who have not had a guardian angel looking after their child, and them.

I’ve had two lucky escapes, one involving a paraffin heater in a damp and mouldy flat we had to live in during the early 70’s, and another in Africa with an accidental overdose of diarrhoea medicine to a very ill toddler, my own daughter. I had to perform CPR, and fortunately it worked.

We live and learn. Parenthood is a perilous role, and there are precious few well-accredited teachers and mentors.

Peter, even as a youngster, I knew better than to walk by the sea edge during a storm… :wink:

@Stella replies: Peter, even as a youngster, I knew better than to walk by the sea edge during a storm… :wink:"

And I’m sure you were as bright as a button, one that retains its lustre still, Stella.

But that wasn’t the point of my question, was it?

Did you or didn’t you?

@Stella replies: Peter, even as a youngster, I knew better than to walk by the sea edge during a storm… :wink:"

And I’m sure you were as bright as a button, one that retains its lustre still, Stella.

But that wasn’t the point of my question, was it?

Did you or didn’t you?

I almost drowned in Lake Windermere in the 195os, when information on the hazards of doing so hadn’t been invented, I was a teenager from the industrial Midlands. I never thought to think the accompanying adults, from Leeds, were to blame, or idiots.

The blame culture will be the death of us all, more certainly than the unaware risks we take IMO.

Peter… I have never acted in such an idiotic way as that man did with that child… :relaxed: :crazy_face:

'nuff said… :zipper_mouth_face:

I don’t see how that would inhibit calling someone else doing the same thing, an idiot. Calling someone doing something stupid, stupid doesn’t imply superiority, it is just a statement of fact.
I frequently call myself an idiot.

1 Like

Take chances with your own life,not with a child. Your incidents sound accidental. To walk along the sea front in a storm with a child isn’t accidental it is stupidity

2 Likes

[quote=“vero, post:26, topic:27899”]I frequently call myself an idiot.
[/quote]

That’s because you’re full of insight, and know your own mind.

You never make careless, presumptuous or self-satisfied judgements on the minds of other people.

I admire that very much.

Hasn’t taken you long Peter to give your ’ Holier than thou’" prognostications and benefit of your personal experiences to the rest of us. Don’t get me wrong - you are entitled to express your point of view but when an idiot behaves like an idiot and risks a child’s life l think you might consider that we have a point rather than being dismissive and frankly, talk boll@cks, about a blame culture.

4 Likes

I don’t dismiss anyone’s point of view here, just challenge them with a different perspective.

It’s not “holier than thou”, Dan, as I’ve evidenced my own carelessness for no other reason than to admit to my mistakes, from which I’ve learned. And to call up the same recollections in others, perhaps. And why not? It’s an important topic.

I didn’t need anyone to tell me I was a idiot, my conscience spoke to me about the gravity of my error, and why it had occured.

I note that no-one has risen to the challenge of admitting to their own careless stupidity, but the force with which some people accuse someone else’s carelessness as idiotic - when that individual won’t know of their opinions -points to it being a catharsis, a burst of energy that relieves a sense of personal guilt or shame.

Am I wrong?

Of course you are - But you never let that get in the way of your pontifications to the rest of us less than perfect souls who just want to enjoy the back and forth of an intelligent and articulate debate on a wide range of issues.

2 Likes

I wish

And a dismal muddle it often is

Oh I really wish I didn’t, but I often do, it is no fun having to apologise for being a twat (but it has to be done).
Make smart-Alec remark in haste, repent at leisure, story of my life.

1 Like

I’m a big twat. I won’t conjecture about your own dimensions, but at least there are two of us on SF. Are there enough twats to make a suit, do you reckon, or even a deck?

I seem to recall that Jeanette Leuers, bag lady of blessed memory, referred to herself in those, or homologous, terms.

Perhaps she may pop up again, like the Joker? But it won’t be my doing if she does! :scream:

Did I only use the word idiot four times. Shame on me because endangering a child should deserve a much stronger term than idiot.
And
Yes, because you ask, I have been an idiot on many occasions. Haven’t most of us?

1 Like

We can all do stupid things at times,lack of forethought,planning etc, accidents occur ,but that guy goes beyond what most right thinking people would consider tolerable

Careless stupidity - yep done plenty of that…
The question is, did this person know he was endangering the life of a child and himself? It would certainly be odd if he didn’t as there are always warnings to stay away from the sea during such storms. Perhaps he got caught up in the excitement of the risk rather like the people who ignore warnings to stay away from cliff edges and lose their lives.
He was incredibly stupid but theoretically I suppose I could be just as stupid.

Just as an aside - Are we to believe that Jeanette’s absence and yours occurring at almost the exact moment in time and your enigmatic reference to her popping up again is not something the two of you discussed. I never believed in convenient coincidence - so l expect the bright and bubbly Jeanette to reappear anytime now.:joy::joy::joy: (But it wont be any of my doing if she does)

1 Like

Hi Dan :wave:t3:
I think you will find that “Jeanette” is Peter’s alter ego! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Curiouser and curiouser innit? :joy:

And I expect you guys have spotted my new Pystic Pete icon, my avatar Janus?

Don’t you mean “Pyst” Peter? As Janus isn’t normally portrayed kissing himself, he’d have to be a contortionist because his faces normally look away from each other observing the past and the future.

1 Like