Wild weather 2021/2022

Hi Karen. You’re quite right. I had a look at my photos (memory for dates not good).

Here’s 2009

And here’s 2013

2 Likes

For us, (Lot et Garonne) the winter of snow was 2012. Nothing like as deep as yours, but it was the fact that it lasted. We were snowed in - couldn’t get the cars up the slope behind us. So we walked into our nearest village - 45 minutes each way.

3 Likes

At least she’s loving’ it :grinning:

My pup’s first winter here was not much snow but the smattering we got was a joy watching him :grinning:

1 Like

We had really wild gusts of wind yesterday morning / over night. Unfortunately our enormous village Christmas tree fell over and wiped out the top floor roller shutters on the mairie while it was at it! Sadly today we won’t be able to light the tree as planned at the end of the market at 6pm! Best get back, just snuck home for an hour to defrost!!!

I am still trying to work out how to get an accurate weather forecast here in the Northern Lot.

These past few days of torrential downpour, and past 2 winters as well I might have got a more accurate forecast if I’d entered somewhere in Pyrenees Orientales into the app.

So far yr.no is the best - I just have to convert their mm of rain indicated each hour to cm :slight_smile:

I tend to use meteo france and OH has some app on his Galaxy… we wait to see which will be correct, one, both or neither… (but we don’t hold our breath…) :rofl:

1 Like

Looks like the flooding will miss us this time. I was here in October 2018 when the last big flooding event happened here. Thankfully I wasn’t directly affected, but tens of thousands were. They will be replacing the bridge that was washed away on the main D118 road through Villegailhenc tomorrow, over 3 years after the event. Several people died in Villegailhenc then, as in several villages around Carcassonne.
I wish all the best and fingers crossed for all the people who are in the red zone.

Dudley and Eunice are on their way… watch out Up North…

https://www.ouest-france.fr/meteo/tempete/meteo-les-tempetes-dudley-et-eunice-se-dirigent-vers-l-europe-des-vents-forts-attendus-en-france-3a098c1e-8e6d-11ec-8142-04af4be3c211

My brother and his wife are due to move house from west London to Bristol on Friday. Due to have 80 to 100mph winds in Bristol on Friday, so I don’t think that’s going to happen :wind_face::cyclone::cloud_with_lightning::tornado:

The wind might blow it right back to London :tornado:

It’s certainly a bit wild here in Manche! I’m watching the trees at the back of the house a bit nervously…

Looks like it will peak this afernoon…

can’t do much about trees… (1987 saw our trees/hedges destroyed/flattened, but made it easy to harvest the apples…)

anything which can be lifted by the wind… put it inside or out of reach if you can, or pile heavy things on top in a tight corner where the wind can’t get leverage…

best of luck

1 Like

Looks like it’s worse nearer Cherbourg and a lot worse in Pas de Calais so we may get away with it :crossed_fingers:

Meant to say… close all shutters tightly… might also be an idea to lock the door if the catch is iffy (some are like that… and a violent gale can force them).
Do NOT open window or whatever to see what is going on…!!! Stay safe indoors.

I will be pleasantly surprised if power lines remain OK… but be prepared… and make sure your mobiles are fully charged.
Have candle/torch/whatever ready. much better to not need 'em than to be cursing later.

I have oil lamps and a couple of hundred candles :smiley:

OH reckons I go overboard, but for almost any situation… I would also have some drinking water in closed containers and rations (biscuits/fruit/nibbles) as well as first aid gear, string, sticky tape … scissors… pencil/paper… etc etc :rofl: :roll_eyes:

Once an Akela always an Akela “be prepared” :rofl:

1 Like

We’re living in North Devon/Cornwall and getting the the full force of it. . They say its the worst storm since 1987. I think we were living in Kent then when so many trees were flattened. Couldn’t get to work as so many roads were closed.