Wild weather -October /November 2018

I had a couple of Saab 900’s in my early 20’s. The day I bought the first one my father came round to see it and after he had a good look around the car I drove it into the garage. Having done this (and still being in the car) I could see in the rear view mirror that he was pointing at something at the back of the car, my initial thought was I’d scraped it driving in but after getting out I could immediately see what the problem was - it was too long for the garage! Quick as a flash I said to my father, ‘no problem, I’ll extend the garage’ which prompted silence and much shaking of his head. I paid a few hundred for the car and the extension cost a couple of thousand, another Timmy bargain!

Back to the weather, we’ve never known the wet weather continue for so long and we feel sorry for the people currently staying in the rentals we look after, normally by June we are cutting grass pretty infrequently but this year it’s a minimum of every ten days or so and clients aren’t happy.

Pompier son is on standby even on his days off as more rain is forecast for the next ten days, he showed us a video of a small hamlet not far away from us where all eight houses were under a metre of water most of which was run-off from neighbouring fields, scary stuff.

Really surprised Dave, but ah well wouldn’t do if we all liked the same things, when I went off for a year on my boat, I gave the car to big Bro’ to use, he and his wife were really sorry to see my wife and I back, loved the Saab :slightly_smiling_face:

Nothing to be surprised about. It had a Cavalier floor plan and suspension and a much too heavy body. As I said, horrid.

Ah weel, you take a lotta pleasing Dave :wink:

Not at all Bill. The little Rover was hardly a great car but in comparison with the SAAB but it was fantastic. I have had a few cars that I rate very highly, the two I have now are both in that category, that’s why I’ve kept them both for over 12 years.

As you are all very well aware… Cars are a very personal choice.

Each of us has our preferences… each of us thinks “our” cars are the bee’s knees… and so they are… for us !!

Why waste time aguing the toss… the sun is shining (perhaps briefly) and I am sure you all have something useful you should be doing… :wink::relaxed::zipper_mouth_face:

Just stating a fact Stella. In general the cars I’ve owned have been good or better but the SAAB was not for a number of reasons. On the plus side I bought it at a huge discount and lost very little on it when I traded it in. It is a car that I would not have recommended to anyone, it was seriously flawed.

Hi David, my comment was not aimed at anyone in particular… just general…

1 Like

A friend of mine was very into SAAB as a brand.

We owned a 2006 9-5 Aero estate1 until 2 years ago - by the time we sold it (as a non runner) it had gotto the point we were just pouring money in and it was not reliable with three or four catastrophic failures on my wife’s journey back from work (never to work for some reason :slight_smile: ).

It was, however, one of her favourite cars.

What Stella says is true - we all have a distinct bias to the cars that we choose - after all who would not choose what they felt best overall at the time - but it is possible to get a bad example of a generally good car and vice versa so always a bit difficult to draw conslusions from other people’s views on individual cars.

[1] I.e the model just before GM finally insisted SAAB just use the GM platform and stop dicking around with it so, although from the GM era, I would count it as a “True SAAB”

Cars have always been important to me, I’m a bit of a petrol-head. Most of the cars that I’ve owned have been exactly what I expected them to be, one or two a really pleasant, unexpected surprise and two real disappointments. The two disappointments were the SAAB and a 2003 Audi A4 2.5 Cabriolet. Both were seriously flawed yet the outside world thought that they were the bees knees. I still own the car that I traded the Audi in for 14 years later. It is everything that the Audi was not.

I once owned a Talbot Horizon, excellent at keeping wild weather at bay but not much else. Unlikely to be still going crazy or otherwise.:wink:

A true SAAB, yes, that’s what mine was Paul :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

At least we are not having a tornado… just yet… brilliant sunshine today…for a change.

1 Like

Not seen one on land, but seen two (waterspouts) at sea, one off Anglesey, in the Irish Sea and one off Cadiz, Spain, it’s a great relief when it’s apparent, it aint heading your way :slightly_smiling_face:

Absolutely Bill… I have always wondering what sort of person “chases” these things… very brave or very daft… :wink::relaxed: I would be hot-footing it in the opposite direction…

1 Like

Tornados cropped up a while ago on this thread.

Like Wott I wozz :grinning:

Flippin heck, David… that was awful… :open_mouth:

The village is pristine and ready for today’s big wedding…

Despite the glorious sunshine this morning… and 25c already… everyone is nervously crossing their fingers… and wondering if the bridal couple will need umbrellas for the dash from Mairie to Church this afternoon…

Preferably, non metalic brollies Stella :thinking: