Will they extend? How to find the 'missing' people?

Such a worry

Thing is, it’s not as if there hasn’t been ample notice of this impending deadline. Anyone who hasn’t applied must have a compelling reason not to, and as “they” say, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, but that’s just my thoughts…

6 Likes

'tis my job so I do worry :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

I know you do an admirable job helping people who have applied :hugs:, but is it your job to track down and worry about the “missing” too?

Well we spent months calling mairies in our areas trying to reach out and make them aware, so yes I guess so!

3 Likes

Do you think there’s a percentage afraid to put their heads above the parapet? I wouldn’t think everyone has been tax compliant for example.

4 Likes

“Such a worry”, yes it must be, Tory, and hats off to you for the job you’re doing but there are limits!
“You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink” comes to mind. There’s so much info and simplification going on too, plus people like you hand holding etc., that if they haven’t got their act together already, no extension of deadlines will change that, or as others are saying, do these people have something to hide…?! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

@toryroo
I discovered a long time ago that there is a percentage (around 10%) of folk who will never agree, will argue the toss… will refuse no matter what… etc etc

and worrying about that 10% can make you ill.

anyone who can say “I’ve done my best” needs to let go of that 10%… in the interests of health and sanity.

9 Likes

Not necessarily - some friends have a young lad who gardens for them. He has been in France since a toddler, so is more French than English. He thought all of this didn’t not apply to him! Our friends have finally persuaded him to apply on line this month!
The Church in Aquitaine is reaching out to people - especially the elderly who have been here many years, who are not on social media and the like, who too think none of this applies to them!

5 Likes

:open_mouth: I’m still amazed that people can be so cut off from reality or not even stop to think about their situation after such a monumental change (Brexshit) or even take steps to find out. It beggars belief! :open_mouth: :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

The Brexiteers have always looked on those who chose to come and live in Europe as some sort of traitors to the UK and I think this is a way of showing us what they think of people who are not true blue Brits.

1 Like

Four groups spring to mind

People that have been here a long time and may well have stopped being interested in UK news and be completely integrated here. So could simply not have occurred to them as it is not exactly front page news in the French press.

People who are isolated physically, mentally, age related, language related etc who lead very simple lives with little contact with others.

The bloody-minded (quite possibly Brexiteers) who don’t think any of this european regulation stuff applies to them.

The long term illegals who think they won’t make the grade because of lack of finances. I think there are quite a lot of people living on very little, and managing fine. But less than the required amount.

How one gets to them is another matter. As I have posted already I was surprised to get a letter, but if that is happening all over France then it should scoop us some of the missing. But apart from asking anyone you encounter with a british accent there’s not much more individuals can do.

5 Likes

I’m not. I, for one, never read the political section of the media - and Brexit just bores me rigid. It was OH who received an email (very early in this whole process) that there was a Brexit talk in Bergerac and he came back saying we must get our CdS “just in case”. If I’d been widowed I would have continued in blissful ignorance, especially with the pandemic as I would have just gardened and shopped every day and spoken to no-one. I exaggerate slightly - but not by much.

What I hope will happen is that as situations emerge where it is apparent there are people with no CdS, if their situation seems to be legitimately one of lack of awareness / confusion that they will be given the option to put things right. I think there is no point in giving an extension. If people don’t know by now they will continue not to know.

5 Likes

The long term illegals who think they won’t make the grade because of lack of finances. I think there are quite a lot of people living on very little, and managing fine. But less than the required amount.

I might have forgotten I suppose, but I really don’t remember having to provide any kind of proof of income to get my resident’s card; they were more interested in proof that I’d been here more than 5 years.

1 Like

I’m very jealous, I’d love to escape having day-to-day problem France thrust in my face non-stop in my tabac, thankfully there’s sfn for a bit of anglophone escapism!

5 Likes

I agree with all your comments, the lack of being in the system is surely a big worry for many, yet SO many have been in that situation - no tax returns, not in the health system etc. I dont’ think it is insurmountable and doubt very much there will be repercussions as long as people get themselves in order and meet those responsibilities from here on in.

4 Likes

But surely people who’ve been here for years without ever having filled in a tax return are due a pretty severe slap on the wrist??

1 Like

Only non workers below 5 years had to show any kind of proof of income/ wealth. For everyone else it was just proof you’re doing… something. Despite what was said at the the start, before the portal was even open, even ‘proof of effectiveness of the activity’ seems to have been barely implemented often.

One of the things I read from one of the pressure groups was specifically ‘you need to show that your business is actually effective, so just having one or two bookings in your gite last year won’t be enough’ and I know of people who have directly contradicted this, they have a gite which hasn’t been in operation since before Covid, although to be fair to them they do intend to start again from next year, and they literally said ‘we have a gite’ and provided their business registration etc and that was good enough, the fact that they weren’t currently trading wasn’t an issue, so whether the authorities were just being extra understanding (as they do seem to have been) or whether because of Covid and it being a tourism business they just accepted that for some it was impossible to trade in 2020 and so just waved them through I don’t know, but I was very surprised they were asked for nothing more at all.

Exactly…if you have been here legally for over 5 years then finance is not a criterium. But illegals who have not filled in tax returns etc can only apply as if they arrived last year, and so have to meet minimum income level.

OK I see…hadn’t realised that - thanks.