Will you be seeking French Citizenship?

Update 2 years on from the Brexit vote for those wanting/thinking of going down the naturalisation route: I finally started the naturalistion process last summer, September 2017 to be exact, but everything takes time… I had my interview/interrogation this week, yep it takes ages to get an interview! Here in the midi-pyrénées you have to go through the regional centre in Toulouse not local préfectures. An hour and a half being questioned on France’s history, institutions, why I want to be French and generally fighting my case. Now everything is sent to the centralised machine in Nantes, I may get a visit from the gendarmes which is quite usual and more detailed checks will now be done. I’ve been told to expect the process to take a year to a year and a half. According to the govt site it should be less than a year as I’ve been here over 10 years, but in reality that doesn’t seem to make much difference - the whole thing takes a couple of years!
As said on another thread, it really is a very different process to that of obtaining a carte de séjour, the result being very different too.

2 Likes

Happily I have an Irish passport. But Nigel Lawson is applying:

Can you believe it?

1 Like

It’s only a CDS, he’s not applying for citizenship and as he lives in France it does seem sensible, can’t believe he’s the only person who lives here and voted to leave.

1 Like

Ugh the brass neck of that awful man. He can bugger off back to GB along with anyone else who voted to leave the EU and still wants to live here, you can’t have your cake and eat it.

6 Likes

He has a ready supply from his daughter, Nigella :wink:

4 Likes

Here in the Pays De La Loire I also sent in my application at the beginning of Sept 2017 and have my interview in Nantes at the end of June so a similar 10 month delay,although I’ve already been visited by and had to attend an interview at the local gendarmerie who checked my wedding ,divorce and sons birth certs(Livret De Famille) and asked why I wanted to become French.
Must admit to being nervous about the interview as I have trouble learning things these days,and am trying to read up everything as not to disgrace myself totally(Andrews post has reminded me that it will not be a walk in the park)Anyway we will see but best of luck to all those applying for CDS and Citizenship.

2 Likes

I’m still pondering Carol, bit bothered about the inheritance implications :slightly_smiling_face:

Couldn’t agree more Veronique! As is well documented (!) I’ve never been able to understand the UK immigrants living in France who voted for Brexit! Turkeys voting for Christmas as far as I’m concerned - putting it politely!!

3 Likes

Bill… you have the right to choose/designate the Inheritance Laws of the land of your birth… but your Heirs will still have to pay Inheritance Tax at the French Levels :relaxed:

Needs to be organized with your Will, through the Notaire…

1 Like

Done all that Stella, but still a ? mark if I’m part French, just my suspicious nature :wink:

Not at all… it was discussed and agreed by the Government…it applies to all Residents/Nationals etc… but has to be put legally in place when making the Will.

You have more confidence than wot I 'ave Stella :slightly_smiling_face:

The French Govt voted for it… and I have not seen any queries or problems raised in the years since… so no reason for them to vote to cancel the original decision.

France is all about liberty and equality… and that is why they agreed that UK folk… and indeed any folk could make the inheritance choice… equality!!!

1 Like

Ok, but I will 'ang on a bit :slightly_smiling_face:

We have already made a holographic will citing the EU law that we want to apply. Passed it by our notaire to take a look at, everything is in order, no charge, and no copy lodged with the notaire as we deemed this unecessary !

We’ve had our French Will registered by the Notaire, I understand this simplifies things if we both pop our clogs at the same time… and thus cannot say where the Will is hidden… :thinking:

By checking the Central Register, the Will can be swiftly located… thus avoiding the need/worry about searching to find where we had “safely” hidden it… :relaxed:

1 Like

Been to see ‘my man’ in Questembert, three times Ann, (no charge). He won’t/cann’t commit, as He hasn’t seen the law tested yet, which gives me confidence, in him :slightly_smiling_face:
I want what little I have, to go to my French Family, not my UK, estranged one.

I would have thought that someone must have died since the Law came into force… :thinking:
and we would certainly have heard if anyone had had a problem… :roll_eyes:

As I say… it is not just Brits that this Law relates to…it is every nationality. :grin:

1 Like

I’m interesred in the UK ‘stiffs results’ Stella :thinking:
Done the registering bit too S’ :slightly_smiling_face:

Bill, why would you pick on British stiffs ?? it applies to everyone…

The only legal wrangle I have heard of is the J Halliday one… and that is a nightmare… :pensive: