Windows 10 upgrade - no answers

Ubuntu is stable, I use it in China, in Pakistan and all these places. Its so much safer when encrypted at the set-up!!

If you start completely new to Linux, try the Elementary, its based on Ubuntu, the updates are coming from Ubuntu servers.

On Leboncoin you can get a Acer or Asus laptop (the 17 inch are really cheap) for ca 100 -200 €. I have a good drive cleaner and will upload it to Hubic for you to download, so you wash the hole thing 7 times.

You will not believe its an 4 years old laptop once its set up which is as easy as with the so beloved windows, and sun/oracle for this texts, excel, "blablapoint", pps, etc is more pragmatically integrated into daily's live

I think I might look out for a reconditioned or second hand laptop and have a play, Theo. The fur babies will just have to put up with me fiddling about for a while. I've not tried Ubuntu - I might give it a whirl.

Val, you optimist ;-) really 3gig on core5i? Peter, typical British understatement, talking about "habits" of "upgrades". Win7 ultimate is really the best version (let your machine run with this, even if 4gig and dualcore7i would be the optimum). There is this backup thing and I hope you have done it routinely.

Valerie, really, I'm not joking here, try with an older computer somewhere in your house and with e.g. 2gig and at least Intel Core 2 Duo you must get yourself this dam Ubuntu 14.04LTS and play for a few month with this system! (Tell you "fur-noses" that they have to be patient with you) Simple fact is I'm using a old rubbish ASUS with only 2 Gig and a lousy AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 and, - haha, it is not much slower then my MacBookPro with 8 gig, core7i and all this "pillepalletrallalala". Actually I prefer to edit videos with this the "Linuxthing" then with Mac.

Windows is actually dead since the plumbing was straight built in

If Ubuntu is too boring for you this would be the OS to go for "Elementary OS Freya". For what it is all about look here https://youtu.be/MC0kuGECRYk

Windows is not just dead, its trying to brush the mud from its own "Window 8 grave" out of its moustache. Still there here are so many people making their living from all those failures Mickeysoft puts on our little lousy lifes that I don't want to say too much because I'm scared to get cramps from laughing about their arguments.

Interesting link Carl particularly since it is two years old and the writer states he “moved to Mac years ago because of the superior build and better screens”. I bet he never foresaw MS giving their OS away for free.

I’ll download Windows 10 and run it in a VM for a look. I always enjoy having a look at the latest OSs. BTW where did Windoz 9 go? Oh yes, MS wanted to catch up with Apple OS X 10 branding so decided to skip a generation - just like that - as the late Tommy Cooper would have said if he had been a S/W developer.

In reality Windows 7 is probably all one needs. Unless there is some feature of Windows 10 that one cannot, absolutely cannot, live without I advise stick with 7.

I love watching the Industry and despite sitting on a pile of cash MS is desperate. The Windows cash cow is dead (the equivelent of IBM’s loss of mainframe revenue in the early ninties) Google and opensource are threatening the Office revenue stream, hence Office for free on IOS etc. A little indicator of this despiration, for me, is that Apple give one 5GB of free cloud storage and MS give you a whacking 1TB. Which for nothing is great value, I use MS cloud :slight_smile: It’s hard to see the relevance of MS in ghe future.

www.cnet.com/news/no-os-x-isnt-free-but-that-might-not-matter-for-microsoft

Why does one need to “reserve” an upgrade? It’s not as if there’s limited availability. Anyway, it’s good to see MS following Apple’s lead and giving their OS away for free. Now all it has to do is work :slight_smile:

It is very easy to cancel.

1. Click on the upgrade button at the bottom of your screen.

2. Click on the option menu button

3. Select "view confirmation"

4. Click on the cancel option and follow the on screen instructions

I'm jealous. Am keen to give it a go and see what it can do but my only computer is where I earn my income so I think it's a case of "better the devil you know".

Seems reasonable. I have been running the W10 preview for several months on a desktop (64 bit) and it works really well.

Thanks Dermot. It was the sudden panic that I'd reserved something I really had no knowledge of, was unable to cancel it and it would download onto my worktop which has all sorts of transcription software etc. It was the thought it could all so easily go "Bang" with a big B if things jammed, proved incompatible, whatever. I don't have the budget to get another good laptop immediately if I mess up this one.

I think, with my sensible head on, I will wait until after the release in July then catch up on any reviews.

Bitlocker is supported on Windows 10 and you should have no problems. There are also some additional security enhancements

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-authentication-containerization-signing,27940.html

W10 is pretty good and worth the upgrade.

Thank you, Krister. It's being uninstalled as we speak.

To complete this procedure, if you also want to get rid of the "Get Windows 10" app:
Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed Updates.
Do a search for KB3035583, double-click it, and then click Yes, to uninstall the update.
Reboot and it's done.
If/when Windows offers this update again, don't select it. You can even hide it, if you want.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone at Microsoft watched it. Maybe they knew the symbol was there, couldn't figure out how to describe it so simply omitted it from the instructions...

Hotdog simply doesn't do it for me - with hotdog I picture an oblong with a line dissecting it. I'd be looking everywhere for a sausage instead of 3 lines.

Apparently 'hamburger menu', three horizontal lines, is a common term among User Interface designers. Actually, in 2012 already, developers of the Google Chrome browser called it 'the hotdog'. :-)

There was an article about these hamburger thingies a few weeks ago on the BBC news site:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31602745

I know, that's great isn't it - I wonder if that's just a Tenforums term. Hope they don't mind, but I'm adopting it myself.

I may email Microsoft and put myself forward as a content writer. You can be sure any step by step instructions I write would contain all applicable hamburgers, salads and fries.

Glad it worked!

I saw others had same problem as you, meaning following Microsoft instructions ;-)

And I learned a new term, the hamburger menu :-)

LOL