Windows 7 support ends 14th January 2020

The R Pi isn’t exactly a speed king, it might be faster than an XP era PC but not necessarily.

1 Like
1 Like

This is a really silly thing about switching from 7 to 10 (I am finally going to do it). I really like the games that come with 7. Anyone found a good quality free games app for 10 that I can download? Thanks for any suggestions.

Unfortunately, it looks like all the games that come pre- installed with Win10 either need a subscription payment or you have to put up with the advertising if for free.

If you miss the old solitaire and stuff then search for “Microsoft games for Windows 10” someone has packaged them up for the new OS now that M$ has unbundled them.

1 Like

I thought you had to pay for them?

The old W7 games, no

Download link about 2 pages from the top.

Thanks Paul. :slight_smile:

another useful resource…

Hi everyone… I’m back online with a new computer for my online stuff and it has Windows 10… and a French keyboard… so I’m, fighting on 2 fronts :rofl:

1 Like

@Stella - if it is not a laptop it is very easy to get a UK qwerty USB keyboard to attach to it for £15 ish.

You could also attach a USB UK keyboard to a laptop, or buy a set of stickers to go over the keys for next to nothing on eBay.
But it is possible to learn your way around a French keyboard - think of it a brain training, keeping Alsheimers at bay. . . . .

It has come with a ZERTY keyboard and I am giving it a go as a way of improving my French skills :rofl: as I do have to use a ZERTY from time to time anyway at a friend’s place.

If it is really hopeless. of course I will change it. I look upon it as a way of keeping the brain cells on the alert.

:hugs:
I’ve just seen your reply, @Mike_Kearney :relaxed: :relaxed: I shall be using the QWERTY a few times a week as well, so my brain will be in a whirl :crazy_face:

Doesn’t the modern French language contain an A now?

2 Likes

I made the change from QWERTY to AZERTY in probably the most painful way possible - had my laptop stolen mid-very long translation project, so I literally had to go and buy a new laptop from Leclerc and bash on, making up for all the time I’d lost reporting the theft etc.
The air was blue for several days and it’s a wonder I didn’t smash it up and chuck it out of the window, but by the end of the first week I was getting on OK with it, and now I can’t use a QWERTY without getting Q’s all over the place. Can’t do the accents either, I’ve forgotten all the tricks I used to know for getting é è à ê ï ç - it would take me ages to type that string on a QWERTY!
I remember on the first day with the new computer I had to ring a French friend and ask her how to get the effing @ sign, I felt so stupid but that’s how lost I was at first! Now every time a friend from the UK asks to use my laptop, I get a moment of wicked amusement at seeing them staring at the keyboard trying to figure it out, and I wonder how long it’ll be before they admit defeat and say “How do I get an @?”

1 Like

My friend’s keyboard has some of the symbols/letters faded/illegible so it needs much humour and several drinks::: :rofl:

Thankfully this is at least clearly marked::: but I’m getting fed up with the need to use 2 fingers every time I need a fullstop. :roll_eyes: :unamused:

1 Like

If your keyboard has a separate number pad, you can use the decimal point as a fullstop…

1 Like

Aha… I see what you mean… I’ll give it a go. :hugs:

But I’ll be doing far less typing on-line… it is so laborious…

I never learned to touch type. Seems like my brain just isn’t wired that way. But this turns out to be an advantage when constantly changing keyboards.
The worst thing is forgetting to shift for the numbers, especially when entering passwords where you can’t see what you have typed!

1 Like

Mmmm… that’s my problem… my fingers have been well trained and now I’m asking them to forget all that…

I keep having to go back and correct what I have put in… :crazy_face: As I’m only using this for online essentials there are few passwords thank heavens.