Winter Tyres 2022

2 Likes

They should also impose a mandatory doubling of the distance between vehicles in winter, so in French terms 2m doubled to 4m :grinning:

3 Likes

We will change ours next week. But a bit daft with temperatures on the 20s. We preferred it when we could judge for ourselve

2 Likes

I am just about to order mine in case of a bad winter but dont fit them until forecasts say 7c or below.

1 Like

Exactly, and we take them off again when weather appropriate. Which is sometimes after 31 march!

Fixed dates is daft

3 Likes

I believe Prefectures can issue official “changes/amendments” … but… will they ??

Not obligatory here in 24.

My plans do not include driving anywhere that needs them except for one bit of road: 65kms on the A19/A5 in the north of Yonne (Dept 89), part of a much longer drive, all, apart from this small section, in Depts that do not require snow tyres etc.
Do you think I will need to change tyres for 65kms?

It’s not clear how it will be enforced… you might have no problems…
but, purely as a matter of interest… should there be snow on the 65km stretch… how will you cope…?

If there is snow I have alternative routes that I can use. The A19/A5 is the quickest, but I can avoid it if necessary.

1 Like

Having done some more research it seems that only certain cantons in Yonne are concerned, they are in the South near the Massif Central. The cantons are: Avallon, Quarré-les-Tombes and Vézelay.

1 Like

Ah… seems to me that the alternative might be the best bet then…

years of travelling from Sud to Nord of France in winter, taught us to have the best tyres for the job… seemed daft starting off with winter/snow tyres… when it was so lovely and warm…
but we knew to expect the worst as we passed Limoges.
The number of accidents, pile-ups… due to the snow… we saw on just that stretch…year after year… phew…
we went gently, gently… very thankful that we’d given ourselves the best chance…

1 Like

folk can check a postcode on this link…

https://www.euromaster.fr/particulier/loi-montagne-departements-concernes

1 Like

Our commune has recently been excluded from the list of obligatory winter equipment, after the Prefecture reassessed the villages that now actually get any reasonable amounts of snow/ice in the Puy de Dôme, i.e. actually very few. As I’ve had my winter tyres on all year, I’m not taking them off now :rofl: In fact, they came in very handy when driving in Ireland recently in the very heavy rain.

1 Like

Thank you for the heads up for snow chains They will be required when I cross the Pyrenees to Spain a regular trip .
Leclerc Auto near me have a special offer 27,50 Euros less 15% per pair. Bought two sets ( two vehicles with different wheels )

1 Like

For several years now I have had Michelin Crossclimate fitted on both cars and use them all year round. They offer superior grip and stopping not only in snow and ice but also on wet roads even in the summer. Dry performance is not as good as conventional summer tyres, but then dry tends not to be such a problem anyway. They are legal everywhere and just make life easier - we often nip over to Bavaria to see our son in winter. A good all round tyre, if a little pricey (but I never skimp on tyres).

2 Likes

Its interesting as the cross climate 2 has the same actual rating as the cheaper tyres I would buy C, B 71db.
I prefer to change tyres more frequently as old rubber stiffens and no one has tested the older tyres against their original spec.
The tyres on my car are old for sure as they were on it when I bought it but will be changed in a couple of weeks as the current ones are not nice when it hets wet despite having a fair bit of tread left. They have just gone too hard I suspect.

Had them fitted last year for the first time, have found them very good so far, the only iffy experience I had with them was when it had been dry for a long time and then it had rained, leaving a slightly slicker than usual surface on which it didn’t grip as well as I thought they would when driving (above a certain speed) and turning the wheel at the same time. To be fair, I noticed the same problem with my previous M&S (Matsch + Schnee tyres), so am not complaining.

Yeah, I think no tyres are going to be good under those conditions, which thankfully are uncommon here in Europe (although after this summer, who knows)? I lived in Saudi for 4 years (20 years ago) and it rained about 3 times a year and the locals especially were completely unprepared and were slipping all over the place. Even more years ago (30+) I took a skidpan course at Thruxton, where they sprayed oil on the tarmac and then water on top (and had bald tyres on the cars just to make it easy) and it was truly eye-opening. I subsequently paid for my kids to go on the same course - money well spent.

2 Likes

I did the same skid control course at Brands, most fun I ever had with my clothes on :grinning: Years later I did a refresher course and they had the cradles on the cars so the instructors can put you in a spin at will whereas the old oil on water required you to oversteer and too much welly. Fantastic training though.

No fines this year and textile chains (like these https://autosock.com ) are legal :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like