Wish I still had it

of course it was Neil, very innovative for the day, rear engine, was it discs all round? and some 'hydro-pump-action-accerlerator' contrivance'. Must have had 'synchromesh'.

Do you remember the top speed on the Californian? The standard would hit 80 on the motorway, which wasn't a problem, as there was never any one in front!

For a 100 squid ( used, 600 ish new ) it was quite an upgrade from my previous 'well sluggish' '55 split windscreen Moggie 1000. I'm trying to think what the 'sister' motor was, there must have been a European same body different badge thing? Singer ?

The Californian I had was the 'fastback" version of the Imp and was the Rootes Group answer to the Mini.

I got about 10 to the gallon when I was in a rush and that was without a leaking fuel tank, best ever was 18 to the gallon taking it very gently. Hillman Imp - a classic!

what? beast of a machine!

the kiddie who started the Roadster ( above ) had put set of twin Webbers on it, straight thru' exhaust pipe, lowered the supsension, so it seemed fast any way. You are right...to feel the gears connected to the drive and the road was real. I rarely checked the MPG but guess at worst 12 to the Gallon, only to realise that 12 years in the petrol tank leeched fuel like a tea bag..Doh!

A car I wish I had now was my old Hillman imp! a sound thing...alloy engine, flappy open rear window, clever design for the era. Top speed of 80 but a very sweet drive.

talking cars Ron, an old Datsun 260Z, it was an absolute monster and drank petrol faster than I could fill the tank up. tanking down the M40 into Oxford and reaching 140mph on the downhill section near Wheatley - felt exceptionally fast sitting in 1970s "technology"!

He he Niel…girlfriends, if only! Yo, the ‘Anglebox’'twas a must. Yes nostalgia does creep in slowly I’ve noticed…not a bad thing though. Wanted to pitch in with your ‘US’ presidential logos Post BTW, but found the first response a bit scary…as to the video clip, no idea! your retort I found most magnanimous.

Regards

Ron

Old girlfriends and old LP's! Managed to hold onto quite a bit of stuff-toys, model trains, old annuals, magazines, drawings, illustrations and paintings from college and early design work - which has been moved all over the place and now resides in the barn. Have to keep an eye on it as the mice have started to use the scarp books for nesting material. As for cars, an Anglia 105E, Hillman Californian and a Fiat 127 sport have all been disposed of to purchase the next vehicle. Having reached my 16th real birthday this month, I have been getting nostalgic for the good old days when life was a lot simpler and calmer I think and the future was optimistic apart from the Russians trying to blow us up with a nuke.

Hey, this guy does some really great posts!