Women expats and immigrants, in rural France

This seemed like a good article; it mentions some support groups for women expats in France.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20160525/the-difficult-truths-about-life-for-female-expats-in-france

Here’s an excerpt:
" Two British women who lived in a small town in the Deux-Sèvres département of western France identified these problems and set up the successful LIFT group, a Facebook platform for expat women to connect and share advice.

Facebook groups like these can prove to be very useful for meeting like-minded people, whereas you may not have such luck at the beginning with the female French community."

2 Likes

Would love to read the article but can’t afford the monthly fee.:wink:

2 Likes

Hi Tim, I had provided this in the expectation that non-subscribers could read one or two articles gratis, before having to subscribe? Yikes!

I can pull this article, @james …?

I added an excerpt, in case that would be useful.

1 Like

No problem, I’ll fix it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, you can read one article for free so it’s fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have just been pointed to @MaryW’s post on this topic dated april so will follow this up as my wife might find it useful. Thanks Mary!

1 Like

Actually Facebook is an excellent place to find people and network … there’s LIFT (Ladies in France Together), LIFT OFF (over 45s) and many others, plus similar for men… people do mock FBook and having ‘virtual friends’ but I’ve been a member of these groups - and many others - for many years sharing information, advice, giving support. And a few times where there’s been a situation local to me I’ve offered to help and met one of my ‘virtual friends’ and become ‘real’ friends. I’ve seen people ask for help and others respond - and we’ve never met. If someone is alone, or isolated … then searching on FBook for local groups and joining is a good place to start.

3 Likes

Yes there are ever more groups springing up all the time. As a single woman in France it is difficult to make new friends and since joining some of the groups I have started to meet other Expats by buying things advertised or using Tradesmen who have been recommended. There is also a new group “ Bonjour Singles in France” which has grown 200 members in 3 days.

Work is a way of meeting people.

1 Like

Yes I am sure it is - I am retired now other than being a Property Landlord in U.K.

I think being retired isn’t necessarily great for social life if you move somewhere new - if you are a person with children and a job you meet people all the time, one way and another.
I vaguely knew someone in the village where I live who moved here with her husband, they were both retired, she didn’t know how to drive and her French was rudimentary since they lived in the anglosphere, so when the husband died she was very isolated. She went back to the UK fairly quickly. Also how you can choose to live in rural France and not drive is weird.

2 Likes

There are many organizations/charities which need volunteers… it is an excellent way of meeting people, making new friends… and improving the language skills…

They are so glad to find new “recruits” that everyone is made very welcome… :relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Yes it amazes me that people are not always pragmatic in their choice of property.

I live alone so ensured I bought a small manageable property in a village with a small garden. I do drive and get by with my French and my village has all I need if I don’t want to drive - banks, shops, bakers, butchers, supermarket on village limits, doctor, dentist and vet.

I am currently putting in a second shower room downstairs so if my knees get any worse I can just live on the ground floor.

I have seen many people who when retired are living in a huge house in a rural area, imprisoned by the amount of animals they have, not being able to afford some luxuries and if ill health strikes can’t even get to the hospital.

I think because rural property is much cheaper in France people get carried away and don’t budget that the cost of living is equal if not higher.

6 Likes

Hi, I agree and although we are a little way out from the town we bought this place with old age in mind. From my previous line of work I know that it is easy to think that being near shops is better, but if you cannot walk more than a few hundred metres , and can still drive it is much the same in terms of practicality of shopping etc. I have been here on my own much of the time until recently while OH does up the place in the UK to sell, we moved here knowing nobody but have I have made a few friends and once OH is settled in permanently I plan to see if I can do some volunteering and be more involved in local activities.

2 Likes

I got nicked for speeding on Monday, in order to avoid points and a fine I agreed to man the drunk tent at an upcoming Landaise fete. I figured this would also be a good way to meet new people :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How does that system work, @james? When I was flashed I don’t recall being given an option of community service, maybe I didn’t read the bumf that came with the notice of infraction, I was too shocked to be nabbed, having had a clean licence in UK for many years :scream::cry:

There are so many of these massive piss ups down here in the summer that this kind of ‘recruitment drive’ is an annual event.

Yes it is something I will consider when all my renovations are complete - only one room to finish building work on now!

Once you get here full time… you will finally have the time to get more involved with your surroundings…

Doing renovations as a “part-timer” can be exhausting and seem never ending… (in my experience)

Yes but the end is in sight!