Women’s Football...!

When I watch or think about men playing professional football, I have visions of grown men rolling around on the turf, grimacing, clutching an ankle with both hands, as if mortally wounded – diving, hoping to get a free kick or a penalty.

I’m of the old school, admiring football players like Bobby Charlton – displaying honesty and integrity, as do snooker players and golf players.

Yesterday I watched a professional team of women, England’s Lionesses, playing Sweden, the favourites, and beating them 4 nil in the Women’s European Football Championships. It was a proper team game. So impressive was the quicksilver decision making followed by needle sharp passing. Wonderful!

I’m not known for leaping out of my seat when a goal is scored, but yesterday I shouted ‘YES’ four times, and slapped my knee! Great stuff girls!

4 Likes

I saw about five minutes of it and my first thought was how it reminded me of the flowing football I saw as a kid in the 1970s.

1 Like

Much better than the mens game. Never been a follower of football but the way the women play I have watched as much as possible

1 Like

I reckon they would give the current England mens team a run for their money, they’d run rings around the defence (Maguire😱)

1 Like

Had lunch, feet up, G&Ts on hand, waiting for the final match to start between England & Germany - come on Lionesses…!

2 Likes

Well done Ladies. Tight game but Choe Kelly you made difference. :england:

2 Likes

According to after match chat back in 2019 the organisers of the 2022 euros were struggling to find any football clubs willing to host matches.
I am very proud that Rotherham and Sheffield United offered their grounds,well done the Millers and the Blades, now that’s what I call the Northern Powerhouse.

3 Likes

Don’t forget Leigh, where Man Utd womens team play. That’s just down the road from where I was brought up, and part of my stomping ground. Pennington flash, just next door is now a wonderful nature reserve, very different from when I was young.

It needs to be said – England’s Lionesses won the Women’s European Football Championships 2022, which will go down into history, never to be forgotten. Great TEAM effort.

2 Likes

Hope we’ll be spared the sight of Johnson dressed up in outsized Lionesses’ kit (complete with a straining sports’ bra).

2 Likes

Did we have to have a political crack ( on a forum that is politically inclined anyway) in a positive thread about a brilliant achievement?

1 Like

@Lizzie1 I presume you are referring to my comment?
If not please accept my apologies however I certainly do not apologise for my reference used. As far as I’m concerned the north has always been the engine house/power house of Britain and as Sheffield and Rotherham are my home towns I am justifiably proud that they offered their football grounds for this tournament when many others didn’t. Of course now they are European champions, and deservedly so, those who offered the hand of friendship during the early stages of the tournament are forgotten. Northern powerhouse might be a recent catchphrase coined by politicians but for me it has a real meaning.
I used the words light heartedly and not politically and stand by them.
I am not a football fan but I have thoroughly enjoyed the tournament.

No John, I suspect it was aimed at Mark immediately above her comment. I will refrain from putting it in quotes, since I agree with her, a nice positive, politically free thread, please.

3 Likes

Whoops!
You might be right :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
I will leave my comment as I did apologise if I had misunderstood.
As I said, great tournament,

2 Likes

I was with a group of Labour Party activists in Sheffield once, and they told me about their GMC interviewing potential Parliamentary candidates. At the end of one session they asked if the candidate had any questions, and he asked if the fact that he had lived in Geneva much of his life would be a problem. An old Labour hand immediately piped up:
“Could have been worse. Could have been Rotherham!”

1 Like

No @Johnboy it was most certainly not aimed at you I agreed with you but didn’t see the need to bring politics into yet another thread, especially one that should be positive I’m a proud northerner too

2 Likes

2 Likes

regrettably, politics is an ever increasing influence on our lives and it is difficult, if not impossible, to avoid it.

Sorry I think it’s perfectly avoidable on a thread about women’s football

7 Likes

4 Likes