Wood ID help

goodness only knows what group this would go in!

we need to identify the wood this door is made from so we can re-stain / oil whatever... the house is very old - but the door less so i think. Chestnut? Oak?

all help greatly appreciated...

Dead right. He who pays the piper, as they say.

There is a fine line between shabby chic and just shabby, all in the eyes of the beholder or who's paying.

thanks so much all

chestnut it is...

i think it looks ok as it is, but hey ho

x teresa

Looks more like chestnut to me too ;-)

I Think it is Chestnut. I would use Danish oil on it. Any oil applied to te door will darken it slighty. Danish oil needs to be buit up in layers and gives a satin water resistant finish . Also I would put a small amount of oil on a cotton wool bud and apply it to a corner of the door to see if the owners like it. Hope this helps.

It's badly aged and sun damaged so not easy to make out but chestnut I think, not sure what difference it makes with the look the owners want it won't be the natural one anyway.

The grain isn't oak, the lines are longer in the fibre of the wood. We have a bit of 300 odd year old oak in our house, I have stripped some of it but it does not look like that at all. Chestnut as David and some of your acquaintances say is more likely.

hello David, thanks for replying... we've got a huge 'enterprise' here at the moment doing various work on the Chateau (not ours...) Some think it's oak, some think it's chestnut. The house is 12th century so there's all manner of stuff from way back when to last year...

however - it HAS to be stained dark, darker - on account of the patrons wishes - we just want to buy the right product...

x teresa

It could be either Sweet Chestnut which is pretty durable and can be carved relatively easily but the grain here is coarser more like oak. I think your best bet would be to ask the local menuisier he probably has seen similar doors in the area. If it is oak I wouldn't treat it at all.