World Cup - who will you be supporting? AKA Dustmites and how to deal with them

Can not understand, why anyone watches it, and anyway, we have no telly, which is an advantage :rofl:

What, Game of thrones or the footie world cup?

1 Like

well they are both full of small and large tits. I leave it up to you which is more fun to watch.
(excuse the pun)

Have never seen it, I have however read the books and enjoyed them. I have no wish to see the series as I have been told by a ‘fan’ that it’s nothing like the books !
Much prefer reading to tv in any case, I like to ‘build up’ a picture of the characters involved in any book in my head…
That’s why I used to love listening to BBC radio dramas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quite a few films that I’ve watched have relied on the viewer already having a good understanding of the plot and characters to make sense of the film. Films based on John Le Carré stories and some by Dan Brown are good examples.

Hi David, If you had already read the books before watching the films did you have a ‘picture’ of the characters in your head ? Were you disappointed with the screenwriters treatment of the book and the actors portraying the characters or did you treat it as a seperate experience?
I’m interested to know because sometimes it’s a let down, to me, and I find myself saying outloud to the screen ‘no it’s not like that’ ! … :slightly_smiling_face:
Yes it’s gone way off topic too …:joy:

Of course. My favourite childhood books were the Arthur Ransome Swallows and Amazons books. I eagerly awaited the arrival of the TV series based on them. What a disappointment.
There are books that I have read after watching a TV series based on them where it is very easy to see the TV character in the book’s character. Morse and Lovejoy are two examples of this but the best fits I know are both roles played by David Jason, in the Darling Buds of May and Frost. I read Rebus before watching the TV series and that was interesting as they used two different actors to play the title role. John Hannah just wasn’t right for my vision of John Rebus, Ken Stott was spot on.

1 Like

im backing Wales. They cannot loose

Because they already have.

I love Ian Rankin’s Inspector Rebus books. Didn’t know there had been a series made so I will look to see if I can get some DVD’s.
I did like the BBC’s adaption of Minette Walter’s book ‘The Sculptress’ and thought that Pauline Quirk played a good part.
Ken Stott in Messiah was excellent, I’m off now to search for Boris Starling’s book on Amazon, along with Rebus DVD’s. :slight_smile:

exactly :slight_smile:

Oh dear… can I assume the sun has not got its hat on… ??? :thinking:

It’s very misty here…

1 Like

I like John Hannah… but … he is not “dishevelled” enough, in my opinion… and that is a compliment to him… :relaxed:

1 Like

Exactly, and not cynical enough.

1 Like

Sunshine here, I have just come inside to start lunch for the dogs. Im in shorts and t shirt.

And back to the football… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What a fantastic start to the World Cup. Lots of upsets. Had to laugh at the Germany result.

England tonight. Hoping for a strong start.

Yes, Mandy, even my chilly entrails are moved, so to speak, to support those young fellows tonight, it’s a tough number for them and such a weight of gloomy disbelief about their ability to win, to progress to the next round, and gain the Cup. I have something of a hunch that the dominance of the Big Teams is faltering, and les petites équipes s’approchent de leur heure de gloire…:crossed_fingers:

I shan’t be indifférent tonight, and shall will our team to a decisive victory. Blimey, I can’t believe what I’m writing, must be a rush of blood to the old head/heart… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Big tournaments seem to have that effect on people Peter. Even those that normally have no interest will often watch/follow.

I think there is little expectation on this young team and that may be just what is needed to allow them to play as well as they can. I will be watching anxiously as usual.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Brazil were underwhelming last night so I might just swap my allegiance and cheer England on tonight :wink:

1 Like