Worldwide Income Declaration in 2020

Interesting reading… on a chilly, dismal day…

I think this only affects people whose income is set in stone. Ex-pat pensioners who commonly receive their income from the UK and see their income go up and down like a yo-yo with the exchange rate, will not be affected.

1 Like

The link explains what is planned and why… everyone will be affected one way or another, which is why the link exists… :hugs:

Well the article says it will affect 12 million people, which is not everyone! Seems v similar to what has been happening in the UK over past few years, and few people now need to submit tax returns.

Jane, only the “exemption” is expected to affect about 12 million households.

However, The article covers ALL households and talks about who will have to do nothing at all and who will have to do something and who might or might not… :thinking: and what responsibility the Household has… etc etc

It’s a sensible move, all four kids have salaried jobs with no other income and are taxed at source so it’s bonkers that they have to complete tax returns.

As I understand it, if the pre-filled figures on the Declaration are correct and there are no additional income figures (or personal details) to declare/change, they will only have to keep the document safe. The non-return of the document being accepted as their agreement with the content. :thinking:

It will be interesting to watch how this plays out across France, in real life…

I think this is just a follow on from the move to PAYE I wrote about last year Stella. When there was some incredulity that we were all gong to save a year’s tax :slight_smile:
I don’t think it will impact anybody who’s income varies year to year. We’ll still have to make a declaration.

Yep, it surely is a follow-on to PAYE stuff…and they outline the various scenarios quite clearly. :relaxed:

Only just registered and don’t know where to find the place to ask a question. I’m of the old generation not too good with computer… Alice

Hi Lucette and welcome to the forum…

Where are you … what questions do you want to ask… ???

I left France early 2019 to come back to live in UK . I have no more connection in France and I received a tax return form saying my “adresse fiscale” is in France although they have my UK address. How do I do not to have my fiscal address in France? I have state pensions from France which is already tax deducted. How do I declare to HMRC , I don’t want to be taxable in 2 countries. In UK I have my state pension which the French want me to declare . What do I do? Thank you

Lucette… It’s not your fault… you are not alone… :relaxed:

but it amazes me , the number of folk out there who do not know about the Taxation Treaty which exists between France and UK (amongst other countries.) which avoids taxing the same income twice…

When did you advise France Tax Office that you were leaving France permanently? do you still have property etc in France…?
How did the Tax Return form arrive from France…was it redirected or do the French Tax Office have your UK address.??

Have you contacted HMRC and asked them how to declare your French Pension monies…???
I’m fairly sure HMRC will need to know about your French Pension… and they will allow for the tax you may have been charged by France… but it does have to be correctly declared.

I suggest you speak/mail HMRC asap and get things in motion.

You quite possibly do have to make a Declaration to France for the period of 2019 when you were still living in France… and that will be the Worldwide Income for that period.

without knowing more about your situation and what you have actually done since 1st January 2019… I can’t be more specific… but I hope these ideas help.

1 Like

I don’t know but I would imagine that when Lucette fills in her a French tax form she will put that she moved when asked near the beginning. That will show that she is no longer resident in France. If she left early in 2019 she would have to fill in a tax form for the time she was still in France anyway and would still have been fiscally resident in a France during that period.

1 Like

Yes, I suggested this… it makes sense… but only Lucette knows the details of her situation…

which is why I asked questions…

Thank you Stella for your answer. I did send a letter to the French Tax people in February 2019. I have no property in France, no family. nothing apart from memories… I am worried because they want the tax return paper at the latest on the 28th May with my declaration of how much income I have from UK, which is just my state pension. I will send them another letter. Thank you.

Your missing the point slightly - you still need to do a tax declaration for 2019 - the period you were still in France. So you need to return the form completed with what “income” you received in that period - be it 2 days or 2 months. The form from memory has a section to complete with when you became or ceased to be resident in France - although there’s probably a form to complete to finalise the “transition” between the countries.

Lucette…

When did your UK Pension start ???

You have a month until 24th May… so take your time, but get it right…