Would you Get into Debt for a Party!

What sort of message does this give the young folk - “it’s ok to get into debt to pay for a party”

1 Like

If you can’t afford a dress there is another way…

Having any sort of school-related function, which is so expensive that Charities etc feel the need to help the families involved - IMO is awful.

What’s wrong with the School Hall and a bit of cheap and cheerful fun.

I find it abhorrent that such peer-pressure is put on youngsters and their families…

After all - no-one will want to be the odd one out… the one who does not have the flash car/helicopter/whatever and all that goes with it…

1 Like

It is stupid and trashy and conspicuous consumption fuelled by social media. Ugh.

5 Likes

Hate, hate, hate!

2 Likes

Is this the thin end of the wedge… ???

Forget the lovingly crafted, slightly smudged card your child might once have sent to Teacher.

Nowadays parents can give 10€ per child to a Gift Fund for Teacher.

As one parent commented: - If my kids were thick-skinned, I wouldn’t bother, but…

I find it bizarre that this dreadful American import has taken such a hold in the UK.

3 Likes

Bizarre, David? What about baseball caps, “Have a Nice Day!”, Trick-or-Treat, fist-bumps, “Hi!”, Trainers, and now (viz. “Hunty McHuntface”) the discreet Union Flag lapel badge as adornment to the gentleman’s dark business suit?

I expect the US dollar to replace the pound sterling soon after Boris takes over, or at least to become the currency-of-preference in inflation-plagued Britain by 2021.

My canny old Norman neighbour told me before the kick-off last night with a wink and a finger-rubbing ‘fric’ gesture that he knew the USA would ‘buy’ the Coupe du Monde Féminin victory. It did give me something of a shock. Was he serious? :scream: