Wrong side of the road

If it was in the Badische then it would be US. The BFG area began from Moenchengladbach going North. Below was only French and US.

It took me about a year of driving a LHD car in France to get used to judging ‘instinctively’ and ‘naturally’ the appropriate and safe distance from the RH kerb or border.

Before that I ‘instinctively’ drove too close to the midline, and I reckon many Brits have a similar experience of doing so. I imagine many French drivers have picked up on this tendency, can identify those who drive in this way, and adjust their own driving accordingly.

I might even account for some drivers wanting to overtake ASAP :thinking::sweat_smile:

You’re lucky @Peter_Goble - you can actually see the centre line! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Sorry you are wrong. Before 9/11 the BFG plates were white in black and quite distinctive. A bit after that the BFG plates were issued to resemble UK registrations for RHD cars and German registrations for LHD cars. The plates were not however linked to the DVLA or German licensing authority. The cars remained BFG registered.

The cars were still registered through the military licensing offices, the plates on the BFG cars mirrored the DVLA plates for RHD cars and and German plates for LHD cars. They were not registered in either Britain or Germany.

I need to correct myself, the US vehicles changed their plates after 9/11, the BFG plates changed long before that as a result of the IRA attacks in Europe.

After 24 years of service in BFG and US i wont argue with you.

1 Like

Good oh!! Because lately it strikes me that some members have been displaying the ability to argue with an empty room… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Some of ‘em/us don’ t even need a room, Cat. Like the famous itinerant preacher John Wesley, we can inflame the hearts of hordes in the open air, or his brother Charles "Oh, for a thousand tongues to sing…! :heart::fire::national_park::fire::desert::fire::mount_fuji::fire::laughing:

My first LHD BFG car with ‘German’ BFG numberplates was a car I owned in the very early ‘90s. I moved house twice during the time I owned it so in fact it had three different sets of number-plates while I owned it. In my barn I have the black and white number plates off the first car I bought and registered through the BFG system, they needed changing for U.K. style plates soon after. The next car I bought went straight onto U.K. style plates. From that I can work out that the changeover happened after mid 1986 and before early 1989. I still own two cars that were BFG registered, the LHD one had ‘German’ BFG plates and the RHD one U.K. style plates. The LHD one went straight from the ‘German’ BFG plates to French plates, the RHD one that was bought in the U.K. and exported to BFG had standard U.K. plates, OU04 xxx, BFG U.K. style plates, SK04 xxx and then French plates. Easy really.

I once bid against myself at an auction and still lost! :grinning:

2 Likes

Just going back to the original point.

I like to have my SatNav (from UK) always on even when I know where I’m going.
Every time I start the car it gives a warning sound and displays ‘DRIVE ON THE RIGHT’.

1 Like

A lifetime ago… our company cars had a large notice on the dashboard… reminding the driver… “Refill with Diesel” or “Refill with Petrol”… as applicable… :hugs:

Now almost nine years ago we headed off to where we now live to see if it would suit us. A few kms outsideMacon crossing a bridge in two opposing lines of traffic a car pulled out facing us and ultimately, although I took what limited space was available for evasive action, we had basically a head-on collision. It was 11.00am and it later appeared that the lady driver was 80 years old and had literally gone to sleep at the wheel.
She was driving a Renault and we were in a VW Passat. Her car was destroyed, but miraculously she was unhurt, as were we. Our car was finally consigned to the unrepairable, but at least we weren’t damaged in any other way.
Fate/Destiny being what it is a young mother was driving behind us with her baby in a secure chair alongside her. She was also driving a small Renault. If she had been in front of us, instead of the other way around the chances are high that she and the baby would have been killed.
Logically the old lady was ‘guilty’, but who really knows? How many of us have driven that extra km when tired or even bored, with a few moments of inattention?
The ‘blame game’ is not always a good one to pursue., but for me the first thing was that no-one was killed. The second things was never to buy a French car! Sorry about that,but my replacement 2006 Skoda Superb is built like a tank as was the VW by comparison.
Sometimes Fate needs a helping hand.

2 Likes

We updated our satnav and the voice of the lady has the most appalling french pronunciation.
It makes us hoot with laughter, which is probably dangerous.

Don’t confuse damage to the car with passenger survival -

1 Like

When did that come into force Mike?
My car was first registered in Nov 2003.

Certainly longer ago than 2003. I remember hearing about crumple zones more than 20 years ago when I was still in the UK.
But it is not a guarantee that you will walk away from a car crash. Be alert!

1 Like

If you drive a Saab, Volvo or Merc then you have nothing to worry about. They had crumple zones back in the dark ages, well 80’s at least. However, like Mike says, they are not a guarantee you will walk away.